or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Anyone else here lift?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone else here lift? - Page 2

post #16 of 26
I lift (though, I'm currently at the tail end of a 3 week rest period). My stats aren't that impressive (though I weigh in at 200 lbs). As for supplements, I take whey, a multivitam, flaxseed oil and fish oil. I think creatine wreaks havoc on the kidneys and I avoid the stuff like the plague (I speak from personal experience - I got a kidney stone once that doctors attributed to taking creatine - it was not very pleasant).
post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
Creatine doesn't even work for around 20% of the population, and I am in that 20%. I hardly need it though.

odoreater you are taking the right supplements, I find flaxseed oil brilliant for general health, along with muscle gains.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG
Hey guys, first post and whatnot.

Name is Adam, 18 year old from New Zealand.

I've been lifting weights for the last two years, currently my stats are around 250 bench, 410 deadlift, 350 squat weighing 187.

Was wondering is anyone else here hits the weights?

I'm in the middle of P/RR/S at the moment, seeing stunning gains on it, anyone else tried it?

Cheers,

Adam.

That's good numbers. But let me ask you this. Why do need to hit these big numbers? For who's benefit. If you are doing it to impress others, that's a lot of work to impress other people.

Remember, you do excercise to stay healthy, those big numbers WILL hurt you in the long run. I am only saying this to save you from injuries and internal organ damages that you will be taking (if not started already). I have never met anyone who over 40 yrs old and lift big numbers in his hay days and stays healthy. They all develop chronic back pain (including myself), elbow joint pain, and some develop stomache alcers due to taking high amount of protien.

Find your comfort zone and just stay there.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
That's good numbers. But let me ask you this. Why do need to hit these big numbers? For who's benefit. If you are doing it to impress others, that's a lot of work to impress other people.

Remember, you do excercise to stay healthy, those big numbers WILL hurt you in the long run. I am only saying this to save you from injuries and internal organ damages that you will be taking (if not started already). I have never met anyone who over 40 yrs old and lift big numbers in his hay days and stays healthy. They all develop chronic back pain (including myself), elbow joint pain, and some develop stomache alcers due to taking high amount of protien.

Find your comfort zone and just stay there.

Let me differ a bit. I am 50, lifted much of my adult life, have lifted heavy from time to time - have been reasonably injury free. (Have not done much in last month due to a non-lifting shoulder injury.) No problems with protein (I think adequate hydration helps).
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc237
Let me differ a bit. I am 50, lifted much of my adult life, have lifted heavy from time to time - have been reasonably injury free. (Have not done much in last month due to a non-lifting shoulder injury.) No problems with protein (I think adequate hydration helps).

I'm only 31, and I lift, but only to supplement other types of exercise. I've found that if you do it enough, that you can get pretty strong without putting on much mass at all, or even risk injury (I am pretty slim at 5'11" and 151-153 lbs soaking wet, and never took/take supplements, but have been up to 235 lbs bench failrly easily). However, if you really want to build strength without putting on too much mass but getting more definition, I would advise exercises like pullups, burpees, and sprint drills rather than just lifting. You get a lot more power. I find that a lot of guys who mainly lift seem to lack fast twitch muscles and corrdination. Just imhe though.
post #21 of 26
I agree 100% re: role of lifting. I have included it as part of an exercise plan.
post #22 of 26
I lift but I have to say the "lifter look" is not in vogue among high fashion these days. Thus the somewhat sarcastic response from some members here. Kind of goes along with the amjack stereotype I guess.

Perhaps its still cool to lift (there were a lot of "my ass is way too muscular, what APCs will fit?" threads a few months ago) but even more cool not to talk about it.

i bench 250. had to get that in there
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'm only 31, and I lift, but only to supplement other types of exercise. I've found that if you do it enough, that you can get pretty strong without putting on much mass at all, or even risk injury (I am pretty slim at 5'11" and 151-153 lbs soaking wet, and never took/take supplements, but have been up to 235 lbs bench failrly easily). However, if you really want to build strength without putting on too much mass but getting more definition, I would advise exercises like pullups, burpees, and sprint drills rather than just lifting. You get a lot more power. I find that a lot of guys who mainly lift seem to lack fast twitch muscles and corrdination. Just imhe though.

My favorite exercise for building up power and for engaging those fast twitch muscles is the good old power clean. I work those into my rotation every couple weeks just to keep my hops up for basketball.
post #24 of 26
I'm dieting down really hard and am therefore weak as a kitten right now. Right now I'm using two relatively abbreviated full-body routines, each once a week, made up almost exclusively of big compound movements. As I'm trying to get back under 10% body fat, I'm concentrating more on cardio, specifically interval training, than on the weights right now.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc237
Let me differ a bit. I am 50, lifted much of my adult life, have lifted heavy from time to time - have been reasonably injury free. (Have not done much in last month due to a non-lifting shoulder injury.) No problems with protein (I think adequate hydration helps).

Water helps digestion. When consuming large amount of protein, it is a good idea to use digestive supplements.

Also, L-glutamine is a supplement believed to help weightlifters.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin
I'm dieting down really hard and am therefore weak as a kitten right now. Right now I'm using two relatively abbreviated full-body routines, each once a week, made up almost exclusively of big compound movements. As I'm trying to get back under 10% body fat, I'm concentrating more on cardio, specifically interval training, than on the weights right now.

Sprints and interval training in general will make you lose fat like a mofo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Anyone else here lift?