• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes With Character

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
Paul Stuart shell cordovan

Alden cordovan

Polo Darlton cordovan

EG for Asprey plaintoe bluchers. Tough to keep the toe shiny and not have polish crack off the vamp. I may have to strip these and start over.

Another of the same thing

Lattanzi for Asprey plaintoe bluchers. Pretty conservative eh?

EG for Asprey city boots

billie, you have a very nice collection of shells. I love to see them with ample wear - the creases fascinate me.

datasupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Maurizi faux-brogues; antiquing project, not entirely happy so far:

DSC03424.jpg

umm.....what part of those are you happy with exactly?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
church's brown shell:
dsc04836.jpg
nicely aged Alden 911s I have. They have wax stains, rain stains, etc.
alden911.jpg

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Carmina model 910, mid brown shell cordovan (Rain last)
DSCN1267.jpg
Vass model Old English Plain, brown calf (F last)
DSCN1269.jpg

I t would be nice to see a Rain last next to an EG (any last) or a VASS F/U last ... they are both really nice though.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
church's brown shell: nicely aged Alden 911s I have. They have wax stains, rain stains, etc.
Really like the 911's have to pay closer attention to Alden. Wonder if anyone can say something about the difference between Church's "crup" and other shell offerings. But those Chursh's are some of the nicer shells I've seen.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Those Vass are gorgeous!

The Alden 911's must be the Porsche of the Alden lines
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
I t would be nice to see a Rain last next to an EG (any last) or a VASS F/U last ... they are both really nice though.
Speedster, I like the look and shape of the Carmina shells.

I've never owned Carminas but about a year ago I came close to buying a pair at Sky Valet in DC that were on discount. They were beautiful shell cordovan-colored monks with a silver buckle. Although they were a half size smaller than I normally wear, I regret not giving them a chance.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey

Originally Posted by speedster.8
I bet thouse would come out pretty nice, after some Creme Alpina & Saphir ... Speed
They might, but that would be a substantial change. I was told that the leather was vegetable tanned and then dyed with suet and other animal fats, though a little polish was added at the toe area. Giving them a real colored cream and polish would substantially change their character. I have given them a once over with neutral cream once or twice, but I try to pretty much leave them alone.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
They might, but that would be a substantial change. My understanding is that the leather was vegetable tanned and then dyed with suet and other animal fats. I know a little polish was added at the toe area, but giving them a real colored cream and polish would substantially change their character. I have given them a once over with neutral cream once or twice, but I try to pretty much leave them alone.
I don't mean to be disrespectful but I have Bostonians that even after being worn over 430 times in a three year period don't look at all worn and dilapidated like this pair of shoes.

datasupa

Reaction score
They might, but that would be a substantial change....Giving them a real colored cream and polish would substantially change their character.

in this case, change would be a good thing.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They might, but that would be a substantial change. I was told that the leather was vegetable tanned and then dyed with suet and other animal fats, though a little polish was added at the toe area. Giving them a real colored cream and polish would substantially change their character.

I have given them a once over with neutral cream once or twice, but I try to pretty much leave them alone.

What are those? I'm dying to know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics