• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes With Character

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
I don't mean to be disrespectful but I have Bostonians that even after being worn over 430 times in a three year period don't look at all worn and dilapidated like this pair of shoes.
Yeah but we don't have stray pubes psychologically terrorizing us. I think you lose. Anyway.. are Kolecho's shoes on a wide fitting? They look a touch wide, or stretched out in the forefoot.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
I don't mean to be disrespectful but I have Bostonians that even after being worn over 430 times in a three year period don't look at all worn and dilapidated like this pair of shoes.
Do you have any suggestions for me? I don't think these shoes would ever be suitable for use in a professional setting, but it would be helpful if I could bring them to the level where they would be appropriate in a semi-professional setting like a weekend corporate retreat or, say, team building exercises in a suburban industrial park.
Originally Posted by Baron
What are those? I'm dying to know.
They are bespoke. The original order was to use Horween's waxed calf, but the shoemaker later sent me some samples of this leather that he had and I thought it more interesting. I like the leather very much and think itvery suitable for this style shoe.

well-kept

Reaction score
^ I like them. If they were mine I'd try Propert's leather conditioner. It doesn't alter the color much, if at all, but imparts a finished or cared-for look.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey

They are bespoke. The original order was to use Horween's waxed calf, but the shoemaker later sent me some samples of this leather that he had and I thought it more interesting. I like the leather very much and think itvery suitable for this style shoe.

I want a high vamp loafer made from that stuff. That leather would go over big with the streat wear guys that like the distressed leather shoes from NDC and Paul Smith. Do you mind sharing the name of the maker with us?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jan-Erik Melkerson by way of Pelle Kraft. I believe Jan-Erik sourced the leather himself from another shoemaker. Jan-Erik measured me in NY and made the last and cut the pattern, etc. Then the shoes were sent to London were Pelle Kraft made them. I hope I got that right and if not, Jan-Erik will correct me. I wish Jan were able to come back to NY as he was a real pleasure to work with.
Here are a bunch more pictures, including some photos of the making and some final shots from when they were new:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ That is an extraordinarily nice example of my favorite style of shoe.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Dopey, beautiful shoes.

Jan-Erik posts here on SF and is a great guy.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My goodness man! Those are extrodinary. I don't even like that style & yet cannot deny the simple beauty. Thank you!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I posted about these about a year and a half ago when I first got them. Around the time when I placed this order there were a bunch of slightly similar shoes being posted on the LL. I have always liked the Weston Hunt Derby, but I needed to go bespoke for a shoe like that for fit reasons, and decided to give some thought to what appealed to me about that design and what variants I might like better. I asked Jcusey if he would do a sort of comprehensive study of the different chasse designs, e.g., the Weston Hunt Derby, the EG Dover and the bespoke variants people had had made. He did a great job and I am sure the article is still available on the LL site. In the end, based on what I saw in that article and this model from the old Lobb catalog and discussions with Jan-Erik, this final design is what we settled on. The old Lobb design is here:
15.jpg
Brown Grain Calf is used for this shoe, which is excellent for either golf or country wear. The Norwegian is a waterproof as a leather shoe can be and this is due to certain essential and unique features. There are only two vertical seams in the uppers; one of these appears at the toe, under which a stout "toe box" made of hard leather gives great protection, and the other, slightly curved, can be seen on the inside of the heel. The shoe has been photographed on the inside to show this latter seam, which is purposely not placed symmetrically at the back, where the greatest strain occurs, but at the inside where it is much stronger and less noticeable; the stitches of both these seams are made from within through half the thickness of the leather only and are therefore invisible. The sole, too, is fixed to the uppers differently from any other type of shoe. Instead of using a welt, the upper is turned outwards and stitched to the sole and this operation necessitates an extra row of stitches just above the sole, which can be seen in the photograph. The characteristic Norwegian pattern, i.e., the crescent-shaped piece of leather on the front, is today commonly used for ordinary walking shoes but the features described above, essential to the true Norwegian, are seldom to be found in any but the best quality hand-made shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dopey, you would love Austria.

I have seen very fine examples, like yours, recently. Though these makers "wouldnt" come to NY.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Dopey, you would love Austria.

I have seen very fine examples, like yours, recently. Though these makers "wouldnt" come to NY.

stop teasing us with these comments and show us the picture insted!
boxing[1].gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fritzl has an awesome thread with extensive pics. Search his name
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Fritzl has an awesome thread with extensive pics. Search his name
smile.gif

Thanks bb
smile.gif

Luk-cha knows the "old" thread well.

He is always pushing me with his requestes for pics.
laugh.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A so called "Haferlschuh"

Hofsttter5.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads