• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tai chi

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
mat,

Why do you consider tai-chi a less than masculine exercise? Fishing is a very low-key sport, does that make it gay or any less manly?
confused.gif

To understand tai-chi, you must watch this:

Bruce Lee practices JEET KUEN DO!

Brian SD

Reaction score
Tai Chi is really difficult to do well, and when it's done well it's extremely impressive. I would recommend it for someone who is either a) old, or b) in desperate need of some focus in their life, or c) wants to get really great at it. I wouldn't recommend it as a hobby for a college student.

I took a mish-mash of northern and southern Kung Fu for awhile, I really wish I would have spent that time doing Tai Chi.

Miguel Antonio

Reaction score
whacked
Miguel Antonio and Coho dishing out exercise advice? Am I reading Bizzarro SF or something?
Hey, don't associate me with Coho. I'm saying Tai Chi is very good, and that is true. However what globetrotter, Tokyo Slim and Eason are saying is good advice. Conne is too "soft" for Tai chi, so I would recommend Aikido.

Ps. I love Martial Arts, if you know something about this wonderful art, wacked, please talk if not, shut the **** up.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conne, if you're interested in tai chi, look into yoga. A lot of professional athletes practice it, so no one will question your manliness. And your class will be full of nubile coeds.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Your definition of manly involves watching bloodsport....puh-pleezzz
plain.gif
Moron.

Conne,

Tai-chi is like the first step to training for 1-inch punch. You have to first be like water--must learn to flow before you can crash. Bruce Lee said that not me.

Bam. Evade or neutralize and redirect?

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Bruce Lee practices JEET KUEN DO!

Bruce devised Jeet in part from what he learned from other martial arts. He practiced many arts including Tai Chi chuan and found it useful.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Miguel Antonio, I am quoting your 2 posts in this thread, word by word. Note the words I put in bold.

Originally Posted by Miguel Antonio
I have read some articles on the subject, videos and photos and it seems Tai Chi is very stylized and effective as exercise.
Hey, don't associate me with Coho. I'm saying Tai Chi is very good, and that is true. However what globetrotter, Tokyo Slim and Eason are saying is good advice. Conne is too "soft" for Tai chi, so I would recommend Aikido.

Ps. I love Martial Arts, if you know something about this wonderful art, wacked, please talk if not, shut the **** up.

Gotta love the Internet, everyone and his mother can claim to be experts in the most obscure topics known to men.

Well, let's set this straight. I am NOT an expert on martial arts, Chinese martial arts in particular, nor do I wish to pretend to be one. That being said, Tai Chi works as an effective form of exercise only when one practices it in wushu form, in short (<10 minutes) routines, difficult postures and very fast movements. This of course takes years and years of rigid training. If you didn't get into wushu by the time you were 8-10 years old, you most likely would never walk down this road. Conversations I had with a traditional Chinese/Vietnamese martial arts master (that was, admittedly, 10 years ago) and watching dozens of wushu tourney (often nationally broadcasted where I grew up) confirm this.

Otherwise, Tai Chi, as we know it, and as Conne surely must have referred to, is virtually useless as an physical exercise for young fellows. Of course, for older folks, or for meditation purposes, it is a different story.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before cussing out on people, learn to spell correctly for a change.

Originally Posted by Miguel Antonio in a PM
What's your problem? Why you associate me with Coho?
Are you stupid?. Wacked, is a very foolish seleccion of a name for a forum, specially if it deals with style like SF, maybe that explains it all.

Also do you know anything about martial arts? or not? Are you stupid?

Mods, can you ban this tool?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure why everyone thinks you need to be old to practice tai chi. I did for 2 or 3 years and really enjoyed it. It is relaxing, gives you something to concentrate on that has nothing to do with the rest of your life, can enhance your (physical) balance and to some degree flexibility, and could be a stepping stone to a related different martial art.

I did the Yuan style long form and it took about 6 months to get through the entire thing, if memory serves.

However, it is not "exercise" for a young man. It only counts as exercise if you are 70. (That comes from a previous physician of mine; it's not just a snide comment.) It will not raise your bpm or strain your muscles overly.

b

Miguel Antonio

Reaction score
Before cussing out on people, learn to spell correctly for a change.
I know how to spell wacked, you don't.

whacked
Mods, can you ban this tool?
It is foolish your choice of avatar and name. Also how do you know if I know about martial arts or not?.

Looking at my initial post, I am being honest, as I am not claiming to be an expert in anything. Besides I have taked many martial arts lessons and studied the topic for many years. Do I know you?

Miguel Antonio
I have read some articles on the subject, videos and photos and it seems Tai Chi is very stylized and effective as exercise.
I repeat, are you stupid?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is foolish your choice of avatar and name.
What does that have anything to do with Tai Chi and/or the OP? And why do you care so much? Oh wait, I forgot I was talking to the same guy who posted this watch "review":
Given all the positive reviews, I will give mine, a negative one in fact. I don't want to be offensive, although Longines Conquest sounds like a cheap watch to me, I mean the name is unrefined. And I find the golden hands and number markers too ostentatious. Also I find the leather strap too plain.
crackup[1].gif

Also how do you know if I know about martial arts or not?.

Looking at my initial post, I am being honest, as I am not claiming to be an expert in anything. Besides I have taked many martial arts lessons and studied the topic for many years. How do you know me?

I don't know, and honestly don't care. What I care, however, is that your "contribution" is not relevant, if not off the mark(see my post above, along with others' who lead to the same conclusion).

I repeat, are you stupid?
Quoted, this time, for irony.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am fully intending to get into tai chi in about 20 years or so. I would highly recomend it to you, when you are 60. for now, try doing something a little more manly.

+1, though my timeframe for taking up Tai Chi may be closer to 15 years than 20. I'd suggest something that requires more explosive power and elevates your heart rate, yet still develops flexibility and endurance. There are many martial arts (and other forms of exercise) that qualify.

On the other hand Conne, since yoga classes are largely populated by nubile young coeds, you may find that Tai Chi classes are populated by the blue-hairs that make you so wet. At least you'd gain some cardiovascular benefits.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never thought of Tai Chi as being &quot;not manly&quot;.

It's like a moving meditation, and like meditation it's meant to exercise areas of the being most westerners don't seem to notice. If you do any sport, try Tai Chi, it develops conscious control over all the muscles.

It was too demanding for me. I'm a wimp. I prefer Chi Gung.

Miguel Antonio

Reaction score
whacked\t

whacked [ wakt ]

adjective

Definition:

1. UK extremely tired: very tired or exhausted ( informal )

2. North America under influence of drugs: relaxed, excited, or euphoric as a result of taking drugs, especially marijuana ( slang )
That's actually a good description of you.

And about the Longiness review, I was giving my opinion. I don't know much about watches, I think that my honesty was used against me. You are a dork.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads