• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OKay, how do I make my ties like this? (Pics)

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Getting the dimple correct relies on when you feed the fat end though the last time, before you pull it tight. Make sure it's centered.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would take the following steps:

1. Consult one of these videos, on tying a four in hand knot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXzI...eature=related

2. switch to Robert Talbott (best of class or estate model) ties, which can be found on sale or discount pretty easily. these are hand finished ties made from high quality materials, make excellent knots, and have patterns that appeal to most everyone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robert-Talbott-E...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robert-Talbott-S...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-115-ROBERT-T...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robert-Talbott-B...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robert-Talbott-B...QQcmdZViewItem

Robert Talbott is just one of several quality brands out there, but their tie patterns are classic and perfect for business. As you probably know, Donald Trump wears Brioni suits and ties, which are much more difficult to find on sale/ at discount:

http://www.tiedeals.com/brioni_08/br...26-nyrestr.htm

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Executive
its hard because I am tying a thick Donald Trump Silk tie.

While a particular type of tie may make it a little harder to make it look that way, with practice, you can make any tie look that way.

And as someone who owns a fair number of Donald Trump ties, I can assure you that it is quite possible.

cvac

Reaction score
While Trump brand ties certainly aren't the best out there, you should be able to make a decent knot with one provided you practice. Getting a Talbot tie isn't going to solve your knotting problem. The dimple aspect of the knot is the hardest part to get right, IMO.

Do a google search for "tie knots" and you'll find a ton of web pages devoted to this topic.

Off topic: personally I think Talbot ties are way overrated. Mostly, I don't like them because they are too wide, but also their patterned ties are too busy and the patterns are too large for my taste.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its hard because I am tying a thick Donald Trump Silk tie.
That's half the problem. Cheap ties make crap knots because they use really crappy interlinings. I was looking for a burgundy tie once and found a $20 perry ellis which looked nice, so I brought it. I didn't realize until I tried it on that it's interlining was so thick it was like plastic. When I tried to tie it, the knot looked like a giant ball around my neck. I returned it got got a gucci tie in a similar colour, and it forms perfectly symmetrical knots with a nice dimple pretty much every time. Even Hugo Boss ties form really nice knots, maybe you could try finding one of those on sale.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
Hey Foxx,

Is tiedeals.com a reputable shop? Good buying experiences?

Thanks.

I have been meaning to order a tie from them for a while, but i've been too picky about the shade of navy blue I was looking for. I think their selection of Borrelli is great, a few kitons, and some brionis (some of the brionis are better lookin than others...). Looks like a good business/ way to go, from my end.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
While a particular type of tie may make it a little harder to make it look that way, with practice, you can make any tie look that way.

True. But cheap, thinner ties will have smaller knots.

Slim Portly

Reaction score
For video instruction, I find the ones offered by avvi66 to quite good. There are 12 of them curently, showing the standards such as the Four In Hand and the Half Windsor, and a few that you may have not heard of before but may be fun to experiment with.

The videos are shot as if you were looking into a mirror, well lit and with a good viewing angle, with slow, clear, easy to follow steps. Link for all videos.

Executive

Reaction score
still cant do it
frown.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still cant do it
frown.gif

Do you have any friends or coworkers who can tie a tie? You could ask one of them to show you, step by step, and learn from that.

Personally, growing up, I had the advantage of my Dad showing me how to tie some of the knots since I had to wear a uniform throughout my school years, so that helped.

So, I think having someone else show you how to tie a tie will probably be a little more helpful. I climb a lot, and there are a million different knots to learn - and usually, having someone show me how to tie a particular knot it is infinitely more helpful.

Learning to tie a tie from a video isn't necessarily hard, once you wrap your mind around the concept, but if you find it difficult, you should find someone who can teach you.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Pimpish.

Opermann

Reaction score
Step two, learn to tie a bowtie! I thought I was pretty good at tying ties until I tried this. It's quite tricky and I finally gave up and used a pre-tied one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads