• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OKay, how do I make my ties like this? (Pics)

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
An executive that can't tie a knot. What is corporate america coming to?

Go to: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/tieknots/4inhand.tem

This provides step by step pictures and instructions.

Good luck.

Its not easy at first, but follow the directions. It took me 3 or 4 tries with the directions and the tie to get the windsor and pratt knots right. I still cant tie anything other than a 4 in hand without directions, but sometimes I like to class it up so I get up early and try
smile.gif

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
If I can do it once, I never need the instructions again. But the only ones I've bothered to learn are the four-in-hand, the windsor, the half-windsor, and a weird half-windsor hybrid I created to get a fatter knot on shorter ties.

NativeTxn

Reaction score
http://www.menswearhouse.com/aboutus...08474395564053

That link has a pretty good "instruction" - based partly on the fact that the diagram shows you how to do it as if you are looking in the mirror.

Also, I have found that thin (as in material, not the width) ties don't make knots as well (or at least as well as I like). The knots are smaller and I personally think they are harder to get a perfect dimple in, as opposed to a tie with a medium or thicker material.

But that is just my personal opinion. With some practice you will find it pretty easy to get the dimple, whether you go with the FIH or a half-windsor, or whatever the case may be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads