1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OKay, how do I make my ties like this? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Executive, Mar 22, 2008.

1. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

Hey Foxx,

Is tiedeals.com a reputable shop? Good buying experiences?

Thanks.

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

its hard because I am tying a thick Donald Trump Silk tie.
    That's half the problem. Cheap ties make crap knots because they use really crappy interlinings. I was looking for a burgundy tie once and found a $20 perry ellis which looked nice, so I brought it. I didn't realize until I tried it on that it's interlining was so thick it was like plastic. When I tried to tie it, the knot looked like a giant ball around my neck. I returned it got got a gucci tie in a similar colour, and it forms perfectly symmetrical knots with a nice dimple pretty much every time. Even Hugo Boss ties form really nice knots, maybe you could try finding one of those on sale.

3. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Hey Foxx,

Is tiedeals.com a reputable shop? Good buying experiences?

Thanks.

I have been meaning to order a tie from them for a while, but i've been too picky about the shade of navy blue I was looking for. I think their selection of Borrelli is great, a few kitons, and some brionis (some of the brionis are better lookin than others...). Looks like a good business/ way to go, from my end.

4. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Senior member

While a particular type of tie may make it a little harder to make it look that way, with practice, you can make any tie look that way.

True. But cheap, thinner ties will have smaller knots.

5. Slim Portly

Slim Portly Well-Known Member

For video instruction, I find the ones offered by avvi66 to quite good. There are 12 of them curently, showing the standards such as the Four In Hand and the Half Windsor, and a few that you may have not heard of before but may be fun to experiment with.

The videos are shot as if you were looking into a mirror, well lit and with a good viewing angle, with slow, clear, easy to follow steps. Link for all videos.

6. Executive

Executive Senior member

7. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

still cant do it [​IMG]

Do you have any friends or coworkers who can tie a tie? You could ask one of them to show you, step by step, and learn from that.

Personally, growing up, I had the advantage of my Dad showing me how to tie some of the knots since I had to wear a uniform throughout my school years, so that helped.

So, I think having someone else show you how to tie a tie will probably be a little more helpful. I climb a lot, and there are a million different knots to learn - and usually, having someone show me how to tie a particular knot it is infinitely more helpful.

Learning to tie a tie from a video isn't necessarily hard, once you wrap your mind around the concept, but if you find it difficult, you should find someone who can teach you.

8. Executive

Executive Senior member

i finally did it!!

9. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Senior member

10. Opermann

Opermann Senior member

Step two, learn to tie a bowtie! I thought I was pretty good at tying ties until I tried this. It's quite tricky and I finally gave up and used a pre-tied one.

11. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

An executive that can't tie a knot. What is corporate america coming to?

Go to: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/tieknots/4inhand.tem

This provides step by step pictures and instructions.

Good luck.

Its not easy at first, but follow the directions. It took me 3 or 4 tries with the directions and the tie to get the windsor and pratt knots right. I still cant tie anything other than a 4 in hand without directions, but sometimes I like to class it up so I get up early and try [​IMG]

12. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Senior member

If I can do it once, I never need the instructions again. But the only ones I've bothered to learn are the four-in-hand, the windsor, the half-windsor, and a weird half-windsor hybrid I created to get a fatter knot on shorter ties.

13. NativeTxn

NativeTxn Well-Known Member

http://www.menswearhouse.com/aboutus...08474395564053

That link has a pretty good "instruction" - based partly on the fact that the diagram shows you how to do it as if you are looking in the mirror.

Also, I have found that thin (as in material, not the width) ties don't make knots as well (or at least as well as I like). The knots are smaller and I personally think they are harder to get a perfect dimple in, as opposed to a tie with a medium or thicker material.

But that is just my personal opinion. With some practice you will find it pretty easy to get the dimple, whether you go with the FIH or a half-windsor, or whatever the case may be.