• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

www.tailorstore.com - anyone try ordering any of their $40 MTM shirts?

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
Yes, I did go with slim fit, and extra narrow sleeve width, but I am also abnormally thin (5'9, 117 pounds).

I'm thinking that the fit option does not apply when you are measuring a shirt as you give them all of the measurments of the areas that they would slim, so how could it affect anything?

I assume it's really only for when using body measurments, or when ordering their standard sized shirts.

You might want to ask them about this.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind, could we see pics and measurements?

You and I are extremely similar, except I have about 8 lbs. on you. I have a sport shirt that is ok for casual wear but tucked in looks great, except it is way to short so I was thinking about taking measurements off of it.

How high are your arm holes on the shirt? Good high, or not high enough, or too high?

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
If you don't mind, could we see pics and measurements?

You and I are extremely similar, except I have about 8 lbs. on you. I have a sport shirt that is ok for casual wear but tucked in looks great, except it is way to short so I was thinking about taking measurements off of it.

How high are your arm holes on the shirt? Good high, or not high enough, or too high?

The armholes on my shirt are as high as possible without being too high, I guess. I think I will lower them by .75 inches next time, though.

I will take some pictures soon, but for now, you will have to settle for a low quality video of me wearing the shirt.
laugh.gif

By the way, the sleeves are not as short as they appear to be -- they are pushed up with the cufflinks undone.

Edit:

Here are the measurements that I gave Tailor Store:

Collar: 14.5
Chest: 19.5
Waist: 17.5
Bottom: 19.5
Length: 27.5
Sleeve: 24.75
Back: 16
Armpit: 8.5
Cuff: 8.25

thewildpig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thewildpig
**** tailorstore.com. execshirts.com is the way to go.

Exactly six months later, I am no longer singing the praises of execshirts.com. Their shirts are good quality, but WAY over-priced. The worst part is their customer service. I asked them what country they get their cotton from during a live chat session. I logged in a couple of weeks later, and, having forgotten what their reply to my question about the country was, I asked them the question again. They asked me why I was asking the question again. I told the live chat rep where to go, and I got an email a few minutes later that they had cancelled my account. I contacted the Better Business Bureau, and later execshirts.com offered to not only reinstate my account, but send me any three shirts of my choosing. I declined their offers. I may check out tailorstore.com, but as of now, I'm happy with stuff from the store.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thewildpig
Exactly six months later, I am no longer singing the praises of execshirts.com. Their shirts are good quality, but WAY over-priced. The worst part is their customer service. I asked them what country they get their cotton from during a live chat session. I logged in a couple of weeks later, and, having forgotten what their reply to my question about the country was, I asked them the question again. They asked me why I was asking the question again. I told the live chat rep where to go, and I got an email a few minutes later that they had cancelled my account. I contacted the Better Business Bureau, and later execshirts.com offered to not only reinstate my account, but send me any three shirts of my choosing. I declined their offers. I may check out tailorstore.com, but as of now, I'm happy with stuff from the store.

Perhaps you're a bit too generous with the F-word.

thewildpig

Reaction score
It was actually the h-word. Nevertheless, execshirts clearly realized they were in the wrong, offering me these shirts that I turned down. The customer is always right.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a new member here, and it was actually a google search on this topic that lead me to this site. First of all, I can tell that this site is a real treasure of information and full of helpful people. I'm excited to get involved. About www.tailorstore.com - I'm excited to order a shirt, but I'm wondering what the quality is vs Land's End's custom shirts. I didn't see any direct comparisons in this thread. Also, has anyone ordered a tie from www.tailorstore.com? They look nice, and the price is very reasonable.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like you can add removable collar stays, shell buttons, and just about every option at tailorstore for a slight extra charge. Seems pretty decent, but I haven't bought from them, so I can't really say for sure. I might try them when I get my measurements.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Ordered an oxford button-down and it just came in today. I don't have an eye for shirt quality so I will reserve judgment on that, but I don't see any major flaws in the craftsmanship. I went with the Parma fabric which is a light blue oxford cloth -- looks nice.

Instead of using body measurements, I decided to go off of the measurments of the best-fitting shirt I had in my closet -- a Brooks Brothers Black Fleece oxford. The only deviation I made was shortening the sleeve measurement by 2 cm to get it to hit right at the top of my hand.

They delivered exactly what I wanted: a slim-fitting, MTM shirt. The fit is almost perfect. Shoulders fit great, sleeves are slim and are the perfect length, chest is not billowy, waist is taken in nicely... it fits just like the shirt I got the measurements from. I'm relieved they followed the measurements I gave, pretty much to the T.

The one quibble I have with the fit is that the shirt is too tight at the hem and kind of hugs my hips a bit -- it should flare out more. Another odd choice is that it has 8 buttons on the placket and the last one is too low. One too many buttons in my opinion, even though I did have them make the shirt pretty long so that it stays tucked. Considering the tightness at the hem, I have no choice but to keep that last one unbuttoned.

I'm also not too impressed with their MOP buttons. They're flat on top and not that interesting, and not too thick either.

All in all, it cost me about $80 shipped. I'm very happy with it. It's not quite up to the Black Fleece shirt I copped the measurements from, but at half the price it's very good.

Conclusion: if you have a good fitting shirt, use those measurements.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a shirt from this site after receiving a first-shirt coupon by email. Total cost $30 shipped for the basic non-non-iron oxford cloth.

Toad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I ordered a shirt from this site after receiving a first-shirt coupon by email. Total cost $30 shipped for the basic non-non-iron oxford cloth.

How did you get this e-mail?

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy Biggins
The armholes on my shirt are as high as possible without being too high, I guess. I think I will lower them by .75 inches next time, though.

I will take some pictures soon, but for now, you will have to settle for a low quality video of me wearing the shirt.
laugh.gif

By the way, the sleeves are not as short as they appear to be -- they are pushed up with the cufflinks undone.

Edit:

Here are the measurements that I gave Tailor Store:

Collar: 14.5
Chest: 19.5
Waist: 17.5
Bottom: 19.5
Length: 27.5
Sleeve: 24.75
Back: 16
Armpit: 8.5
Cuff: 8.25

LOL at your youtube tags...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads