• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many lesbians do you know?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I can think of around a dozen or so that I know. A few from television news, some from politics, both Democrats and Republicans, and a large number with whom I worked at both the Red Cross and the YMCA.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Unlike homosexuality, lesbianism cannot be diagnosed until the person has been out of college for five years.

In general, I agree with you, but having attended some Women's Rugby games, I can assure you, these bitches were lifers.

Originally Posted by Bradford
I can think of around a dozen or so that I know. A few from television news, some from politics, both Democrats and Republicans, and a large number with whom I worked at both the Red Cross and the YMCA.

This gets at my underlying inspiration for this thread, which I hope will not be inappropriately CEish for the General Chat forum. I think Gay-Baiting is precisely the wrong pander for social conservatives to make at this point in time. Unlike other disadvantaged subgroups who get scapegoated and used as fodder for wedge issues, gays are born all over the country, into every community. It's easy to get traction and votes opposing Affirmative Action and the NAACP in a very white, very conservative congressional district, but gayness is different. Just look at Lynne Cheney. "Protection of Marriage" has passed in every state it can reasonably be expected to, and barring some weird cataclysmic shift, it's not getting into the Constitution. Social conservatives should focus on abortion, where there is untapped sympathy for their cause, and leave Connemara be.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Obviously, I've met some I like and some I don't. I will make this observation in response to your comment. Back in the day when we were regularly attending lesbian "events", I met a fair numer of women who seemed to have the attitude that because they were gay, they were unconventional, which made them rebels of a sort, which automatically proved they were cooler and more open-minded than everyone else (the rest of us must be uptight and narrow-minded, otherwise we'd be lesbians too, right?). I found this fairly prevalent (although of course not universal) attitude highly obnoxious.

I agree, and obviously I have some lesbian friends whom I like most of the time (just like all of my friends). One further problem I have with people in general is that I tend to be turned off by people who identify themselves more as group members than as individuals. This goes for any group. I have found this trait to be painfully strong in the SF lesbian community, much moreso than the gay male community. I find that I like a larger percentage of lesbians outside of San Francisco than inside.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I have found this trait to be painfully strong in the SF lesbian community

I disagree. I find Conne and the board's other resident lesbians to be refreshingly non-militant.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
iammatt;909971 One further problem I have with people in general is that I tend to be turned off by people who identify themselves more as group members than as individuals. [/QUOTE said:
Yep, exactly. And I was going to (but forgot) to add to my earlier post my speculation that women who attend "lesbian-themed" events are more likely to be people who define themselves primarily by their affiliation with that "group", which may account for the prevalence of the dynamic I was describing.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I don't know any. I just know girls who are willing to dip in the bouillabaisse from time to time.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a friend who used to live with a couple of lesbians. They were always making off with the cordless landline. One time he got fed up, so he marched into their bedroom, spotted the phone under the comforter, reached in and grabbed it. Only it wasn't the phone!
eek.gif

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering that I also attended the aforementioned "famously gay-friendly Seven Sisters college," I know surprisingly few lesbians. Of course, if you'd asked me the same question when I was an undergrad, the answer would have been different. Maybe it has something to do with my current location....

jkennett

Reaction score
I used a rather loose definition of "know", which was basically exchanging hello's and knowing their name as the minimum. I also kept it to true lesbians, not bi-experimenting college girls.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
One further problem I have with people in general is that I tend to be turned off by people who identify themselves more as group members than as individuals. This goes for any group.

errrm... aren't you the guy who, up until a few days ago, had a dancing elephant for an avatar?

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
... How could you know 100 lesbians?
Maybe it's become a common way of politely turning a guy down?
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I have a friend who used to live with a couple of lesbians. They were always making off with the cordless landline. One time he got fed up, so he marched into their bedroom, spotted the phone under the comforter, reached in and grabbed it. Only it wasn't the phone!
eek.gif

That may have been better than if it had been the phone...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've met at least three lesbians over the past few days (all from NYC, shockingly). I know probably 10 or so.

G79

Reaction score
none that would consent to a threesome with me... and heck thats what matters!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads