• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bant

Reaction score
because otherwise it is pure decoration - and that appears contrived, forced, etc.

personally, i don't think they have to have a purpose but im just saying i feel they often come off as contrived if they don't. i respect everyone trying new looks, etc. but frivolous accessories appear to clash with a sillouhette inspired by a classic work wear / throw back look. i will say the bandana around the neck is much more appealing than the one hanging of a pocket.

i hate that this comes off as stodgy since i really dont want to feel boxed in for my own style (or express this upon others) - unsure why this rubs me the wrong way.

in any event - sorry to hijack the WAYWN thread with such a tangent.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say that having a bandanna on you is not contrived, and can certainly have a purpose. Hanging one out of your back pocket may be a little contrived.

Over in MC they all have unused pieces of cloth hanging out of their pockets, and colorful lengths of silk tied around their necks!

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bant
no offense to anyone that rocks a bandana but it is contrived by definition. contrived: "obviously planned or forced" a scarf or bandana tied around ones neck, or dangling out of one's pocket is a frivolous, impractical accessory. especially when paired with an otherwise utilitarian look. men have the following to work with: - tops (shirts, t-shirts, sweaters) - bottoms - outerwear - footwear - hats - practical accessories: sunglasses, watches, belts, bags, even wallet chains.....all of which serves a purpose. a decorative neck scarf or pocket jazz is pure decoration.
So, you've never worn a tie?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I get yer drift too....

a bunch of my friends (rockabilly guys that fix and drive vintage cars) used to carry a shop rag in their backpockets, as an accessory. It's an homage to guys in the 50s that would have to carry a shoprag in case their car needed a quick fix. They'd carry the shoprag out to clubs at nite when it was obvious they werent going to be working on a car anytime soon, purely as decoration, even tho they were greasemonkeys.

i dunno, in Bobo's case I think the neck scarf works with his look. If someone like, say, Drizzt or Braidkid, did the same thing I would say that it looked contrived and forced.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
21308picrh2.jpg

agnes b jacket
nudie shirt
PS redear jeans
alden chukka

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
i dunno, in Bobo's case I think the neck scarf works with his look. If someone like, say, Drizzt or Braidkid, did the same thing I would say that it looked contrived and forced.

damn, and i was really wanting to rock the bandana but don't want to look contrived
patch[1].gif
maybe i should keep my suspenders in the closet too.

I thought the neck scarf on who was a nice touch and completed the fit for me.

That's a very purty girl in your pic Bobo; I thought it was Scarlet for a second

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bant
no offense to anyone that rocks a bandana but it is contrived by definition.

contrived: "obviously planned or forced"

a scarf or bandana tied around ones neck, or dangling out of one's pocket is a frivolous, impractical accessory. especially when paired with an otherwise utilitarian look.

men have the following to work with:

- tops (shirts, t-shirts, sweaters)
- bottoms
- outerwear
- footwear
- hats
- practical accessories: sunglasses, watches, belts, bags, even wallet chains.....all of which serves a purpose. a decorative neck scarf or pocket jazz is pure decoration.

That's the thing--a bandana is utilitarian, especially in hot and muggy climates. It's just uncommon to see them now, so they appear contrived. In this case, the appearance is deceiving. They're invaluable when you're biking (cycling) around the city on a hot day, for example. Keeps sweat off your collar, you can pull it up over your mouth/nose if there's a lot of dust or exhaust, you can keep grease off your hands if you have to mess with the chain, etc. Pretty much any time you're doing any sort of physical work outdoors in a hot climate, there are a hundred uses for them.

Bobo, I think that works well.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get smart, really nice "fit". just the right combination of classic and bad ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads