Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kitonbrioni, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bant

bant Senior member

because otherwise it is pure decoration - and that appears contrived, forced, etc.

personally, i don't think they have to have a purpose but im just saying i feel they often come off as contrived if they don't. i respect everyone trying new looks, etc. but frivolous accessories appear to clash with a sillouhette inspired by a classic work wear / throw back look. i will say the bandana around the neck is much more appealing than the one hanging of a pocket.

i hate that this comes off as stodgy since i really dont want to feel boxed in for my own style (or express this upon others) - unsure why this rubs me the wrong way.

in any event - sorry to hijack the WAYWN thread with such a tangent.

2. bant

bant Senior member

that is very true bobo. cheers.

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I will say that having a bandanna on you is not contrived, and can certainly have a purpose. Hanging one out of your back pocket may be a little contrived.

Over in MC they all have unused pieces of cloth hanging out of their pockets, and colorful lengths of silk tied around their necks!

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

no offense to anyone that rocks a bandana but it is contrived by definition. contrived: "obviously planned or forced" a scarf or bandana tied around ones neck, or dangling out of one's pocket is a frivolous, impractical accessory. especially when paired with an otherwise utilitarian look. men have the following to work with: - tops (shirts, t-shirts, sweaters) - bottoms - outerwear - footwear - hats - practical accessories: sunglasses, watches, belts, bags, even wallet chains.....all of which serves a purpose. a decorative neck scarf or pocket jazz is pure decoration.
    So, you've never worn a tie?

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I get yer drift too....

a bunch of my friends (rockabilly guys that fix and drive vintage cars) used to carry a shop rag in their backpockets, as an accessory. It's an homage to guys in the 50s that would have to carry a shoprag in case their car needed a quick fix. They'd carry the shoprag out to clubs at nite when it was obvious they werent going to be working on a car anytime soon, purely as decoration, even tho they were greasemonkeys.

i dunno, in Bobo's case I think the neck scarf works with his look. If someone like, say, Drizzt or Braidkid, did the same thing I would say that it looked contrived and forced.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

[​IMG]

agnes b jacket
    nudie shirt
    PS redear jeans
    alden chukka

7. braidkid

braidkid Senior member

i dunno, in Bobo's case I think the neck scarf works with his look. If someone like, say, Drizzt or Braidkid, did the same thing I would say that it looked contrived and forced.

damn, and i was really wanting to rock the bandana but don't want to look contrived [​IMG] maybe i should keep my suspenders in the closet too.

I thought the neck scarf on who was a nice touch and completed the fit for me.

That's a very purty girl in your pic Bobo; I thought it was Scarlet for a second

8. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

no offense to anyone that rocks a bandana but it is contrived by definition.

contrived: "obviously planned or forced"

a scarf or bandana tied around ones neck, or dangling out of one's pocket is a frivolous, impractical accessory. especially when paired with an otherwise utilitarian look.

men have the following to work with:

- tops (shirts, t-shirts, sweaters)
    - bottoms
    - outerwear
    - footwear
    - hats
    - practical accessories: sunglasses, watches, belts, bags, even wallet chains.....all of which serves a purpose. a decorative neck scarf or pocket jazz is pure decoration.

That's the thing--a bandana is utilitarian, especially in hot and muggy climates. It's just uncommon to see them now, so they appear contrived. In this case, the appearance is deceiving. They're invaluable when you're biking (cycling) around the city on a hot day, for example. Keeps sweat off your collar, you can pull it up over your mouth/nose if there's a lot of dust or exhaust, you can keep grease off your hands if you have to mess with the chain, etc. Pretty much any time you're doing any sort of physical work outdoors in a hot climate, there are a hundred uses for them.

Bobo, I think that works well.

9. Black Cherry

Black Cherry Senior member

10. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

[​IMG]

agnes b jacket
    nudie shirt
    PS redear jeans
    alden chukka

Those are some mean looking cuffs...

11. bant

bant Senior member

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Those are some mean looking cuffs...

eh? you've *just* noticed the way I cuff my jeans?

13. michaeljkrell

No, I guess the paul smith's with the aldens exentuate the toughness...

14. michaeljkrell

Uh... Someone hurry up and post of a picture of them in a bandana.

15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

get smart, really nice "fit". just the right combination of classic and bad ass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.