• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This forum is utterly devoid of Visual Kei

gorkon

Reaction score
vkjpunkthreadbannerqs2.png
Welcome to the Visual Kei/J-punk Fashion Thread!​
post#1introduction xx post#2styles xx post#3magazines xx post#4shops I've noticed there is no VK/J-punk thread. And no, the japanese fashion threads don't count, because all japanese fashion =/= visual kei/j-punk. It's a broad enough fashion to deserve its own thread. Onto what this thread is about! Visual Kei and J-punk! Now, Visual Kei IS NOT a genre of a music. It quite literally translates into "visual style", and although the term is also used to label bands, ie: "visual kei bands", VK is not a type of music. It is merely the way a person dresses. Visual Kei focuses heavily on the visual aspect (lol). Funky hair, bright hair colors, flashy clothes, and whatnot. Over the years, the visual kei style has changed in certain areas and trends are coming and going. The punk style has also been integrated into the VK scene. Though, I will refer to it as j-punk, because j-punk and western punk are different, and I'm also not going to have people come in here and be like "THAT'S NOT PUNK LOL". But anyway. :'D The entire scene is diverse, ranging from bright, happy, visual kei-- something I'd refer to as oshare kei, to a more dark-gothy VK, and then onto a more j-punk inspired VK. This thread will be here to discuss Visual Kei/J-punk-fashion trends, the brands, showing off outfits, asking and giving advice and so on.

gorkon

Reaction score
vkcb1.jpg
I'm going to show you some pictures so you get a feel for what the style is about, if you don't already know. Now, the pictures should not in anyway make you think, "Oh, to be VK, I need to look like this", or lead you to believe you must do it a certain way for it to be right. This is not the case--- but the pictures will help you get a feel for the whole point of the fashion. SO.. JUST BARE WITH ME. xD Visual Kei Notice how each of the styles are different in their own way, but still have similar elements. Layered and choppy hair, flashy clothing and accessories, expressive makeup. Visual kei [often shortened vk] has several sub-genres, as well, that have emerged within the last few years or so: oshare kei Oshare kei is the "cutesy" version of vk. Brighter colours, cuter accessories, but still keeping with the general vk look. Makeup often consists of bright and/or glittery eyeshadow, jewels around the eyes, and long, fake eyelashes. Hair is usually dyed bright colours and/or blonde. eroguro kei Eroguro is short for "erotic grotesque". It is exactly how it sounds: things like eyepatches, bandages, and fake blood are used. angura kei Anguro, short for "underground", is a style of vk that incorporates traditional Japanese themes into the look. Things like kimono, yukata, and Japanese folktales are used. J-punk Not to be confused with Western punk, J-punk takes punk elements and mixes it with the VK style. It's essentially a more toned-down, everyday vk look. Lip piercings, several ear piercings, leapard prints, safety pins, thrashed fishnet stockings, creepers, bandanas, and chains are most often seen. This is a great way to go if you want to have a vk style everyday, as complete vk really isn't conducive to school and work environments. A final word of advice... You might want to keep in mind...if you try full-out vk and...well, fail, people aren't going to be sugary-sweet about it. Black lipstick, white-face makeup, Halloween-store wigs, scarves around your nose, and eyeliner swirlies aren't vk. Avoid 'em like the plague if you want to be taken seriously :D We're always happy to help you out with your outfits, makeup, and hair, so please don't hesitate to ask.​

gorkon

Reaction score
rrqx7.jpg

Publications That You May Find Helpful
The following are Japanese magazines that may be helpful to you if you want to try to pursue a VK/J-Punk look. All are available at JBox.

Cure
402dac1a.jpg
ee302466.jpg
3166c890.jpg

This magazine labels itself as a "Japaneseque Rock and Visual Styling Magazine". It includes pages upon pages of different J-Rock bands. There is also a section that gives step-by-steps on how to do VK makeup and hair. They often include previews and modeling of J-Punk brands. Past issues have included posters, but they have discontinued this feature.

Shoxx
c69bbae2.jpg
8c7ee345.jpg
9aa7c3e2.jpg

Similar to Cure, but focusing more on the bands rather than the styling. It includes even more pages than Cure and includes a poster of the cover band.

Kera/Kera Maniax
aa4792d0.jpg
a43863d7.jpg
2e51f0d5.jpg

These two are Japanese fashion magazines. They not only include J-Punk, but also styles like Lolita, grunge, and more. It features models wearing the latest lines, as well as "street snaps" -- photographs of people around Tokyo wearing the latest fashions. Kera Maniax also often includes special "extras", like stickers and patterns.

Gothic & Lolita Bible
bd4e7296.jpg
b77bc6cd.jpg
bbfed187.jpg

While more often known and used in the Lolita subculture, this "mook" (a cross between a magazine and a book), can also be helpful for those interested in J-punk. It shows the new lines for various J-punk brands such as Putumayo, Hiderock, and h.Naoto. VK artists and bands such as Mana, Hakuei (Penicillin), 12012, and An Cafe often model. Every issue includes an extra such as stickers, a poster, or postcards. A different pattern is also included in every issue.​

gorkon

Reaction score
57a22787.jpg

Here is a list of brands and stores popular in the vk scene.
Don't feel limited by these! In fact, thrift stores are an incredible place to get great finds.

Starred stores ship internationally.

Algonquins
alice auaa
Banana Fish
Black Peace Now
Candy Stripper
Closet Child's Punk Store
Deorart
Doc Martens
Double Decker
h.NAOTO
HELL CAT PUNKS
Peace Now
SEX POT ReVeNGe
Sexy Dynamite London
T.U.K.
Vivienne Westwood

**more editing to come**
this post is not complete

I accidentally deleted all the links, so I have to find them again >__>;;​

gorkon

Reaction score
I hope you guy's enjoy and this helps those who were curious on the styles details. I want to encourage people to try it out, I, along with a couple of my friends, all white and American are trying our hand at this style.

Pictures coming soon.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:Spam:

This forum doesnt really jive on VisKei. I dig on the music, but am too old to dress like that anymore. When I was in HighSchool, sure, I was a straight up KandyKid raver, but now I am in my 20s and working on entering a profession eg. I cant go wearing whatever the hell I want anymore. That and well, I'm much more mature now.

gorkon

Reaction score
confused.gif

Too old?

I think its a lack of devotion, I'm in college, and have a job and I now how to separate work attire and style play style. I have black temporary hair dye I put in everyday before work, take out piercings, skin-colored gauges and make-up to cover it up. I want to be a director/screenplay writer, and I need to be presentable to make impressions on potential producers,and other important associates.

Not to knock you, the forum, or anyone else's style, but with work any style is attainable, and manageable for everyday life.

Zahir

Reaction score
I've always dug the hairstyles, and I do think that j-punk is a bit better than American punk fashion, but it's just not a look I can pull off.

Also, *devoid

BYucko

Reaction score
Of course this forum is devoid of VK.

I come to this forum to get away from VK and get advice on fits, styles that don't go out of style, classic looks, etc. A lot of people doing VK stuff can't be doing that anymore as early as when they're entering their thirties, whereas a nice, fitted polo looks nice throughout a person's lifetime.

VK is also (mostly) VERY expensive and VERY hard to maintain. It's generally more accepted in Japan (IMO) than here in North America. I know people who dress very moderate/conservative Jpunk, and those are few and far between. Anyone else who tries to dress even the slightest like that get beat up.

I'm not hating on VK or anything, but I for one didn't find it a surprise that this forum has little to none of it. I know some people who do in fact dress moderate/conservative Jpunk with the hair as well, spending copious amounts of time in front of the mirror with a straightener, blowdryer, wax, gel, gum and spray in the morning and check up on said hair throughout the day.

The person wearing stripes in the Jpunk picture with a solid colour over it shows how stripes may work. That's what I can learn from. There are just some styles that may teach more than others; VK is not one of them.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
I'll bite. First off, I'm going to start off by saying that as far as I can tell this forum is not very accepting of styles that stray too far from the SF "mainstream" appearances. You're probably going to get some hostile remarks. Second, you really shouldn't use a topless picture of yourself as your avatar. That's pretty douchebaggy right there. When I was around sixteen I was really into visual kei style, taking cues from earlier Dir en grey, the GazettE ... well, I guess I don't need to explain it, you know all about it. However, I'm nineteen now and I honestly find visual kei to be ridiculously over the top. There are still some bands that pull it off without looking like they try too hard (the GazettE IMO does a great job balancing between looking extravagent and looking effortless). It's just not the sort of thing I'd like to wear out into the streets or something. As for lolita, my girlfriend is really into it but I don't really like it that much. I think she looks a lot better when she's just wearing "normal" (relative to lolita anyway, my tastes are far from "normal") feminine clothes. The problem with these styles is that they don't really look like clothes, they look like costumes, which essentially makes the wearers cosplayers. Let's be honest here; most of the people who wear these styles are complete Japanophiles who live and breathe music that is for the most part pretty derivative of itself and completely shallow. There are bands that are exempt from this (the GazettE, I wonder how many times I can write their name in this) but they're the exception, not the rule. The reason visual kei looks like costumewear is because that's exactly what it is. Visual kei is a costume for bands, it's stagewear, it's theatrics, it's not meant to be actual clothing. When you see these bands outside of all that is when they're usually wearing the best clothes. As for me right now, I'm still heavily into Japanese fashion, but it's more Gackt than Dir en grey; he manages to wear elegant and interesting pieces without looking like he's in a costume. You can wear these as real clothes. However, visual kei will forever be confined to a few weird kids you see on the street and anime conventions. And I really hope it stays that way.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
This is "Style" Forum. This is not "Niche ***-Goth Disenfranchised Manic Depressed Youth Forum. Let's give my teddy bear nipple piercings and pink hair.

I'm always interested in new and interesting sub genres related to style but anything Goth related get's right up my arse.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
This is "Style" Forum. This is not "Niche ***-Goth Disenfranchised Manic Depressed Youth Forum. Let's give my teddy bear back pack nipple piercings and pink hair, yay!.

I'm always interested in new and interesting sub genres related to style but anything Goth related get's right up my arse.

Thanks for the heads up, dude! Wasn't aware you were the authority on what qualified as "style". I'll be sure to come to you in the future when I need validation of my own styling choices as officially stylistic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads