• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This forum is utterly devoid of Visual Kei

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by keykoo
That wasn't really directed at you Rye, but more towards the notion that I feel like some forum goers have a lofty impression of SF in that we're not swayed by what's "trendy" or "hot" atm which couldn't be any farther from the truth.

I can't really agree with that....maybe a smidge. The folks here represent a real minority of the market for Men's clothes. 90% of the brands mentioned here don't make that much money because F***ers like us are few and far between. If we were swayed by what was trendy and hot we'd see far more of the following brands here:

A&F
American Eagle
Gap
Drifter
Affliction
Nike
True Religion
Diesel
Kenneth Cole
........................The list could go on for pages before most of the brands here would make an entrance.

I agree that micro trends for certain brands exist here:

W + H
5EP
Engineered Garments
Michael J Krell (Word-Up Yo!)
Flathead
Samurai
45rpm
KMW
Nudie........ etc

but for a handful of people on a forum of a few hundred in a country of 300+ million to purchase what another poster has doesn't warrant labeling a trend. We all exist in our own parts of the world and once off line we're all loners in the style stakes amongst our friends, neighbors and siblings who opt for more mainstream brand clothing.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely be into this **** if I was 14 and angry at my parents.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
The thing is "visual kei" is more of a subcultural and very localised (both in terms of time and place) phenomenon and less about fashion in itself. You'll see some outfits/designs inspired by subcultures (of course) but they tend to be broader in lenght and relevance and the nod is usually less direct. I mean this forum is also utterly devoid of southern rap looks but I'm sure some of the more hypebeasty fellow might incorporate some rap influences (duh!).

I'm sure I can find an old picture of my underage, girly self with spiked blue hair and eyeliner going to some gay-ass show that would fit the visual kei mood but I've been fascinated by subcultures and their rituals for a while, I just don't feel like dressing that way as I've now got a less insular worldview.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Chris is my favorite poster on the forum, I don't find his style the slightest bit eccentric, certainly dynamic but not so far off the radar to be deemed unwearable by most or as tasteless as the genre being discussed here.

what

Surfrider

Reaction score
I'm not hating or anything, but just out of curiosity, what made you think starting a VK thread *here* would be a good idea?

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'm sure I can find an old picture of my underage, girly self with spiked blue hair and eyeliner going to some gay-ass show that would fit the visual kei mood but I've been fascinated by subcultures and their rituals for a while, I just don't feel like dressing that way as I've now got a less insular worldview.

Well put, and much more on target than "I'm too old to dress like that."

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's necessarily true. There are many people here who enjoy chris' eccentric skinny boy fashions. Both Jet and his spawn child Ghulkan have a lot of wear that I don't think would be considered "timeless style" but are rather fashion forward and quirky. Also Socal has white patent leather sandals.... D:
Chris is an awesome poster with an excellent sense of STYLE.... you'll notice that he avoids the "pop culture" fashion fads and still has a very modern edge. I never meant to imply we all want to dress like it's 1955. Of course there will be "dynamic" takes on style here. My PERSONAL (not the forums) opinion as to why I don't like this look is that it was played out over a decade ago.... this is just a bad attempt at putting a Japanese spin on already washed up trends like glamrock, goth and fashion-punk.
That wasn't really directed at you Rye, but more towards the notion that I feel like some forum goers have a lofty impression of SF in that we're not swayed by what's "trendy" or "hot" atm which couldn't be any farther from the truth.
I think this is true... we are swayed by what's trendy or hot.... we are usually swayed in the opposite direction! Does anyone here own Crocks? Does anyone here shop at Abercrombie or Diesel primarily? How many of us rock stripy button-downs, True Religions and square-toed shoes?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Japanophiles

Synonym for loser.

It's OK to like stuff from japan. Like their camera equipment.

It's NOT ok to like anime, and dressing like an anime character... means you should star in an anime. The kind with tentacles where the characters do not survive

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
I love that band, I will confess that those outfits are silly. It's important to remember that that's kind of the point. They are a rock band, not dudes on the street. They don't look like that really. edit: wow those outfits are actually really awful even for them
Originally Posted by 65535
Synonym for loser. It's OK to like stuff from japan. Like their camera equipment. It's NOT ok to like anime, and dressing like an anime character... means you should star in an anime. The kind with tentacles where the characters do not survive
I don't really like anime that much, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to say it's not okay to like it. Even cosplay is acceptable; just be aware of how silly what you're doing is, don't take yourselves so seriously, and it's fine. I like Japanese music and fashion a lot, but I think I'm far from Japanophile because I don't think it's a defining characteristic of me; it's just one of my interests.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I don't really like anime that much, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to say it's not okay to like it.
Imho, being obsessed with any cartoon as a grown man is a bit odd.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Imho, being obsessed with any cartoon as a grown man is a bit odd.
Liking something isn't the same as being obsessed with it. However, I do feel the need to point that the view that all animation is for children is antiquated. Surely there's some Cowboy Bebop fans hiding in the brush.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe there are a lot of anime fans on SF. There's bound to be some nerd crossover.

I wonder why I have such a visceral negative reaction to this stuff, which I don't have to other outlandish rockstars (Bowie, NY Dolls? Awesome!) or even 80s hairmetal, much of which certainly took itself seriously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads