• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which IWC Pilot's Watch - Mark XII or XV?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a thing for IWC Pilot's watches.
I like the Mk XII but it is a bit small at 36mm. I like the idea of the JLC movement
but as mafoofan stated it's not the most robust movement. I've had a bit of problems (nothing major) with a couple other watches using that movement.
Plus the Mk XII has been discontinued for several years now so it could take
some searching to find a good one. There are still new Mk XVs to be found.

Top to bottom, 3706, Mk XV, UTC (can't remember the ref number), and 3713 Doppelchrono. As you can see, they range from pretty damn thick, to very thick to
not excessively thick.
1200image002ej9.jpg

L to R. Spitfire SE Mk XV, 3706, UTC, and white dial Mk XV.
1200image003fy9.jpg

L to R. White Mk XV, Spitfire SE, 3706.
1200image005uh2.jpg

Comparison of 3706 and Mk XV. The 3706 is quite a bit thicker than the Mk XV.
(Yes, I know I need to clean my keyboard.)
1200image006md9.jpg

moonman

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the photos. They are invaluable to me.

The 3706 is a pretty thick monster. Tilting me back towards the Mark XV.

I have actually found a source for both the Mark XII and the Mark XV (times two). All appear to be in close to mint condition. Oddly enough (at least to me), the Mark XII is selling for $900-$1100 more than the two Mark XV's that they have. Guess they are harder to come by. And the 3706 they have is even a bit less expensive than the Mark watches.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moonman
Thank you very much for the photos. They are invaluable to me.

The 3706 is a pretty thick monster. Tilting me back towards the Mark XV.

I have actually found a source for both the Mark XII and the Mark XV (times two). All appear to be in close to mint condition. Oddly enough (at least to me), the Mark XII is selling for $900-$1100 more than the two Mark XV's that they have. Guess they are harder to come by. And the 3706 they have is even a bit less expensive than the Mark watches.

That price difference between the Mk XII and XV doesn't really surprise me.
The XII was a more expensive watch at retail due to the JLC movement
and it's a more appealing movement for collectors.
Also, though the XV is recently discontinued there are still a lot of new ones available at dealers.

It is surprising that the 3706 is less expensive though.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
It is surprising that the 3706 is less expensive though.

Well, the 3717 has been extremely successful; it's hard to find any sitting around at dealers.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
IMO, a 39mm case is right about perfect for a 6.9mm wrist. Keep in mind that this isn't a traditional dress watch so its meant to be a bit bigger and thicker.

Good Lord...if somebody has a 6.9 mm wrist, I would think they should be advised to invest in food rather than expensive watches!
tounge.gif

moonman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Good Lord...if somebody has a 6.9 mm wrist, I would think they should be advised to invest in food rather than expensive watches!
tounge.gif

smile.gif

kngrimm

Reaction score
I wear a 38.5mm Omega Deville and it is not anywhere close to being too big... If anything, I find the 36mm (rolex style) watch way too small..

But, please know, I really like the 45mm Zenith Open XXL, so maybe we just have different preferences
smile.gif

droow

Reaction score
smile.gif
Hey everyone, new here but i found it through googling iwc 3706.

I have one for sale if anyone's interested? I'm about to put it on ebay. It's in good condition, came back from iwc after it's annual service last week, still has service sticker on the back, all boxes/papers/manuals/service reciept. Has a gorgeous black abp (http://www.abp-paris.com/) Ostrich shin strap and IWC Deployment clasp.

1.jpg

Lovely watch and has been my favourite for ages. But the other half bought me an Ikepod for xmas so i don't really need it any more!!

email me or pm me if you want any more info or pics

Andy

watchbuyeruk

Reaction score
hi
i just bopught a iwc flieger chronograph , i opened up the back to view the movement , i expected to see a calibre number but can only see the following on the movement 2525780 and a tiny iwc, the calibre of the movment should be 7922 , can any one help with this one.

braised

Reaction score
There's no question - get the larger XV. The modern style is for larger watches and the XV is way smaller than the mergin 42mm standard. Smaller watches look too girly. You'll never regret the XV.

I wanted a chrono so bought a 3706 - I some times think of swapping down for an XV but use the chrono function more than I thought that I would and the watch has been tough.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither.. Just an excuse to post pics of my 2 goto work & play IWCs
fight[1].gif

L1090839.jpg

L1090873.jpg

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my IWC 3717 and it's a new fav. It's just about perfect! highly recommended.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
I just got my IWC 3717 and it's a new fav. It's just about perfect! highly recommended.

Did you buy it new?I'd like to see it in person,anywhere I can find it in Atlanta?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find this exact watch in Atlanta but I did find it used on timezone.com in mint condition for $1500 off the retail price. This watch is sure to be a classic.
IWC3717-01FaceWrist.jpg
Originally Posted by forex
Did you buy it new?I'd like to see it in person,anywhere I can find it in Atlanta?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads