• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
Finally got around to getting a pic of me wearing my suit. It's kind of rough, but I plan on trying again when I get adequate time/patience. This is my self-measured super 120 black wool one-button peak lapel one-button suit.

I'm satisfied overall. The pants are snug around the waist and crotch, so I'm praying I never have to run or bend over. The inseam, however, is PERFECT. The jacket is mega aggressive with its angled pockets and short overall length, which is fine for going to parties and whatnot. I'm definitely planning on getting another one in the future. Maybe something a little more conservative (two-button... lighter color).

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the suit looks great. the shirt and tie need to go though. shirt doesn't fit your neck, black tie is reserved for funerals, not hipsters, and you don't wear vans with a suit, EVER.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Hey guys

Back in town....catching up with tons of stuff over the past couple weeks. I tried to email back questions via my blackberry while I was gone, but there's a good chance some questions slipped thru the cracks so if you didnt get a proper response then hit me back and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
the suit looks great. the shirt and tie need to go though. shirt doesn't fit your neck, black tie is reserved for funerals, not hipsters, and you don't wear vans with a suit, EVER.
Haha yeah I knew I would get chastised for wearing sneakers with the suit. And the shirt collar is way too big. I'm in the process of revamping my wardrobe.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please post more pics, sides, back, etc.

For first impression, you look very good.
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by andrew.cmyk
Finally got around to getting a pic of me wearing my suit. It's kind of rough, but I plan on trying again when I get adequate time/patience. This is my self-measured super 120 black wool one-button peak lapel one-button suit.

I'm satisfied overall. The pants are snug around the waist and crotch, so I'm praying I never have to run or bend over. The inseam, however, is PERFECT. The jacket is mega aggressive with its angled pockets and short overall length, which is fine for going to parties and whatnot. I'm definitely planning on getting another one in the future. Maybe something a little more conservative (two-button... lighter color).

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IF you don't mind me asking, how does a TAT suit compare to an Isaia suit on STP?

Obviously, I am not trying to sway GS away from his housestyle to one that is essentially Neapolitan but rather, since I do not own any true "slim fit" suits, I thought to use an Isaia as a point of reference for comparison because I do like Isaia's rather high armholes and softer shoulder as the jacket do not lift and bunch up as much when I raise my arm. I felt this feature would be especially important (for suits that fit and sit closer to the body), otherwise it could seriously restrict movement of the arms.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
IF you don't mind me asking, how does a TAT suit compare to an Isaia suit on STP?

I dont own Isaia and have only tried a jacket on briefly so I couldnt say, but I doubt they are similar. I don't think my stuff compares to more classic brands other than having sleeves, lapels, and buttons.

Ideally, if you're looking for a suit on STP, then it's doubtful TaT would be what you're after. After having seen Spencer Hart's store on Savile Row, my line is for guys that want SHart but cant drop $2500-6000 for one (our aesthetics are similar)

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried searching through the thread, but the last I saw was that Camden Lock's storefront was closed and they'd be relocating. Any updates on that?

I'd like to get a suit made and would prefer to have the measurements done by someone familiar with the process. Or do you do measurements yourself? Some of the posts I was just reading suggest it, but wanted to double check :p

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I tried searching through the thread, but the last I saw was that Camden Lock's storefront was closed and they'd be relocating. Any updates on that?

I'd like to get a suit made and would prefer to have the measurements done by someone familiar with the process. Or do you do measurements yourself? Some of the posts I was just reading suggest it, but wanted to double check :p

+1

Maybe at the next LA meet up we can bring a measuring tape and have Jason measure us?
smile.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The gal that ran Camden Lock has been working freelance for some costume designery that's associated with Levis, or something like that so she hasnt really ventured into a new location yet since she's been working out of state on/off for the past 6 months

I like quevola's idea....as if a "mens clothing forum" wasnt gay enough, not that there's anything wrong with that.
laugh.gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Maybe at the next LA meet up we can bring a measuring tape and have Jason measure us?
smile.gif

I think I win by default due to my blackness

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I've been reading this monster of a thread and soemone mentioned of a pictorial guide on how to take the measurements. I've looked at the website and also the blog but all the pictures I found was measuring the front and back of the shoulders.

Is there a complete pictorial guide to taking measurements hiding somewhere that I might have missed out?

I'll bump this just in case this might have been missed out. I think there are many visual learners like myself who are still not quite familiar with how to take measurements without a photo guide.

I have no problem measuring the shoulders (front and back) as the photo is included in the blog. The instructions for the stomach and waist are also easily done because of the objective measurement of 2 above and below navel respectively".

More specifically, I wish to clarify a few things.
1) the neck measurement - Is that the same as how you measure the collar size for shirts?

2) Chest measurements. Can this be taken by raising both hands laterally to the side.

3) Sleeve length. Does it start from the shoulder seam at the medial deltoid by taking cues from a well fitted shirt?

4) Is there a need to specify the armscye measurement and also the size of the upper arm to ensure that the sleeves are not overly tight or loose?

5) Finally, should we measure them without any allowance at all?

Hope I'm not being a PITA for asking so many questions.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
To answer:

More specifically, I wish to clarify a few things.
1) the neck measurement - Is that the same as how you measure the collar size for shirts? -basically yes. It's the measurement around the neck at the base, where it connects your head to body

2) Chest measurements. Can this be taken by raising both hands laterally to the side. it's around the chest, just under armpits. Better to leave your arms hang down naturally since raising them could cause lats to expand out a bit and give a larger measurement than actually is. Helps to have someone do this for you, but it's easy enough to do yourself too if you have a tape measure and a good mirror to make sure you're wrapping the tape striaght around and not at an odd angle

3) Sleeve length. Does it start from the shoulder seam at the medial deltoid by taking cues from a well fitted shirt? Ideally needs to be taken off a jacket since the padding and shoulder structure make the sleeve measurement different than a shirt's, measured from top of shoulder seam straight down to bottom, with adjustments made if the jacket used has too long/short sleeves. Again, I like to stress that this is the one measurement that if you have to ask "How do I measure" then it's probably best not to do functional cuffs

4) Is there a need to specify the armscye measurement and also the size of the upper arm to ensure that the sleeves are not overly tight or loose? Basically I have 2 armholes for each size, one is the default normal style which is fairly high. The other is more of a relaxed armhole for fellows who know they have bigger arms. But if you feel you have big arms then you can provide this measurement and I can see which would work better for you

5) Finally, should we measure them without any allowance at all? yes

WorkingTitle

Reaction score
Jason, I am very intrested in purchasing a Thick As Thieves suit from you so I was wondering if you would be open to meeting with me to talk business. I would like for my measurements to be taken by you, as you are the one actually making the suit.

Let me know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics