Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Jan 12, 2007.

1. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

^you can just alter your measurements. ask for a longer coat hem, slightly more room in the chest and waist, slightly wider lapels, slightly wider pants, and voila - a conservative suit. it's still the best bang for your buck 'round these parts, as long as you know all your other measurements.

2. water

water Senior member

^ Exactly.

Given the way most men dress in the work place today I doubt you are going to cause too many blank stares wearing a slim cut suit. Given that those who wear a suit are probably wearing one a size too big, I would think a slim cut would look very good.

I ordered my first TaT suit a couple of weeks ago. Asked for something that was a slight departure from the house style. Jason was very familiar with the references I provided so I am quite enthusiastic to see the final product. To get the look I was aiming for we lengthened the coat, widened the lapels a touch (2.75") and went with slanted trouser pockets. I do not expect a suit that says "conservative" to anyone. But I do expect one that is razor sharp.

3. Philosoph

Philosoph Senior member

^ Sounds nice. Contrary to some opinions (especially in the MC forum) I don't think anyone will lose points for wearing a slim suit to an interview or in a business environment. The only way you'd look overly trendy or fashiony is if your suit does not "suit" you or is out of proportion with your body. If you have a slim, sharp suit and it fits you well, what will be noticed is that you look good, not the width of your lapels.

4. SWB

SWB Senior member

I thought I'd give some impressions and post photos of my jacket now that it's here. Jason was incredibly helpful throughout the process--there were a couple mistakes in the first jacket I received, but those were quickly rectified, and I couldn't be happier with the results. I went with a fairly short cut, which I think turned out well despite being a little unconventional. The fit is spot-on almost everywhere, though I think the tailor who took my measurements must've been overly generous on the shoulders. Camera quality is a little lacking, but here are a few shots to demonstrate the fit: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The shoulders unfortunately look far too big in the back, which of course was entirely my fault in not double-checking the measurements. In retrospect, I think the look I was going for requires a little more subdued shoulders than the traditional TaT cut anyway, but given how well the rest turned out, I feel they definitely stand out negatively. Is it true that this couldn't really be altered by a tailor? An extra inch of length might've helped balance that out, but as-is I think it looks a bit awkward. I don't think I'm nearly knowledgeable enough to comment on the quality, though from a strictly amateur perspective, it is quite impressive. Fantastic attention to detail and beautifully cut--I definitely intend to order a full suit from Jason in the future. I'd love to hear some feedback on the fit, and if anyone has suggestions for the shoulder width, I'd really appreciate it. Edit: the photo from the back is with the jacket unbuttoned, forgot to take a buttoned shot.

5. vvoc

vvoc Senior member

6. SWB

SWB Senior member

looks great...what length did you ask for the blazer?

I believe it was 30", but essentially it falls at the same point as the cuffs.

7. vvoc

vvoc Senior member

wow 30" is pretty long but that looks short..i think i got a 28" on mine and it looked a little longer....how tall are you?

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

wow 30" is pretty long but that looks short..i think i got a 28" on mine and it looked a little longer....how tall are you?

His pants are riding much lower than suit trousers, which is why it looks so short.

9. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Still quite short. Mine is 29.5" and it goes about and inch or so below my cuffs. He must be pretty tall, I'm 6'.

10. water

water Senior member

If the length is 30" you must be quite tall.

Hard to comment much as I cannot really see the lapels or the jacket waist...

11. SWB

SWB Senior member

I'm a little under 6' 3", but I did request a shorter-than-usual cut.

I'll try and get some clearer photos up later. bad lighting, I know.

12. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I've been reading this monster of a thread and soemone mentioned of a pictorial guide on how to take the measurements. I've looked at the website and also the blog but all the pictures I found was measuring the front and back of the shoulders.

Is there a complete pictorial guide to taking measurements hiding somewhere that I might have missed out?

13. Lel

Lel Senior member

Bump for that diagram because I just tried searching the thread and didn't find a thing.

14. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Hey Jason, when you get a chance could you post a direct chest & shoulders pic (something like the one below) of the one-button peak lapel model? I'm thinking of getting my next TaT in that style, but I'm having a hard time finding pictures that simply and clearly show the look of the lapels (most shots are in motion, at angles, etc)

thanks

[​IMG]

15. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

How wide are the TaT lapels? They seem slimmer than any I've ever seen.