• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seiko Opinions Daily Beater Watch

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a Seiko model similar to the Monsters but smaller? I've got an Orange Monster and love it. My son needs a watch, likes the Monster but thinks it is a little too big.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
Can anyone suggest a Seiko model similar to the Monsters but smaller? I've got an Orange Monster and love it. My son needs a watch, likes the Monster but thinks it is a little too big.

SKX013K2 (38mm lug-to-lug)
SKX013K_th.jpg

http://www.longislandwatch.com/Seiko..._Watches_2.htm

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
whacked, have you used that dealer before? Up until this point I didn't think there was an easy way to get Japan model Seikos here in the US. Some of those look very nice.

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Clearly this is a thread of people shopping $4k watches.

I do think that there is a semi-live "Rolex Sucks--No, It Doesn't" thread, if you want a piece of that tired action. Might offer the exciting opportunity to debate whether quartz movements are merely indication of a wearer's pathetically stunted taste, or, instead, also demonstrate the transformation of humans into soulless, consistently punctual machines.

You can get a much more decorative watch than a Rolex for $4k (my Rolex sucks argument) but you can pick up any of the watches I mention for $2500. A used Airking can be $1500. Unless you really can't be seen brandishing a Rolex watch, it makes for an excellent beater watch because it is recognizable as a "status symbol", keeps its value well, and is reliable as hell.

The Swede

Reaction score
I'd like to know more about these Poljot watches. I like the look of some of them and also the fact that they are russian. The Chronographs seem pretty cheap as well. Any experiences?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Swede
I'd like to know more about these Poljot watches. I like the look of some of them and also the fact that they are russian. The Chronographs seem pretty cheap as well. Any experiences?

Well, lots of different models and movements available. Depending on where you buy you may get a tough reliable nice watch or a QC nightmare.
I have mostly Vostok watches but I have 1-2 Poljot. Nice watches with one hell of a lineage. The handwound 3133 movement for instance is great. Now, some of the best examples are old. The ones made around the transition from USSR to Russia can be horribly made.

This forum is a treasure trove of info

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
whacked, have you used that dealer before? Up until this point I didn't think there was an easy way to get Japan model Seikos here in the US. Some of those look very nice.

No, not personally, but IslandWatch owner Marc actively posts on several watch forums and has solid reputation among the WIS community. If my memory serves correctly he also offers discounts to 3T forum members; so if you're interested in purchasing, it might be a good idea to register there.
smile.gif

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ thanks whacked.

I really like this Seiko dive watch, which is a Japan-only model. I'll have to see if I can find a decent dealer to import it, or maybe get a buddy to buy one in Japan and send it back here.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Seiko 5 that I ordered came in a few days ago and was promptly given over as a gift. The blue model with blue strap. Very well liked but, and I don't know if it's this way with all the colored bands, apparently the band was not color-fast. After a good hand washing, he had blue ink rub off on his white t-shirt. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone interested in getting this watch.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
The Seiko 5 that I ordered came in a few days ago and was promptly given over as a gift. The blue model with blue strap. Very well liked but, and I don't know if it's this way with all the colored bands, apparently the band was not color-fast. After a good hand washing, he had blue ink rub off on his white t-shirt. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone interested in getting this watch.

hmmm. that is strange. is it only with the blue one? my green one does not do that.
all in all, this costed both you and i just pocket change relatively, so it is more out of fun and curiosity to you hopefully.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Might be too big for the kid; the orange dial is a plus though, assuming that's what he likes best about dad's watch.

As for the Seiko Flieger, I think it is just a bad dye job. In any case, I'd put replace the OEM band with a Nato or leather strap pronto.

BTW, good to have you back, Rambo. The meat market known as sufu doesn't know what they are missing.
mwink[1].gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
As for the Seiko Flieger, I think it is just a bad dye job. In any case, I'd put replace the OEM band with a Nato or leather strap pronto. BTW, good to have you back, Rambo. The meat market known as sufu doesn't know what they are missing.
mwink[1].gif

Good to be back, thanks. Out of town for a bit on some unfortunate business/family business. Plus, my Mac crapped out on me so I was up a creek for a few days there. Any rec's on a good seller for Nato or leather straps Whacked?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
Any rec's on a good seller for Nato or leather straps Whacked?

westcoastime is good; the store specializes in military / aviator themed watches and has solid reputation within the online WIS community. Alternatively, you can also try the few sellers who regularly post on PMWF Sales Corner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads