• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Shoes

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I bought NOS/pre-Prada brogues on ebay a few years ago and they are gunboats. Good quality, good wear, a little heavy but they are developing a nice patina after only 15 or 20 wears/shines. I have heard that the post-Prada shoes are **** but have not bothered to check them out myself.

thegaviero

Reaction score
I own more than 35 pairs of English shoes. The oldest pair I still use was purchased by me in Cambridge in 1977, a Yanko, and the most recent pairs were an Edward Green and a Trickers.

The criticism of Church's shoes post-Prada is totally unwarranted. There has been NO slippage in quality.

But my own (whimsical) ranking of English shoes would be the following:

1. Grenson -- Excellent leathers, modern but elegant lasts, always innovating
2. Church's + Crockett & Jones
3. John Lobb -- Well made shoes but I do not like their lasts
4. Edward Green
5. Alfred Sargent, usually made for others

Sadly, Yanko has shut down.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Inelegant lasts (particularly # 100). Quality on the level of Allen Edmonds with pretty much the same aesthetics. Huge protruding 360 welts. Poorly defined heel pocket. Clunky and old fashioned but sold at $600+

This more or less sums them up to a tee. In fact, many of AEs lasts are a lot sleeker and elegant than Church's bulbous offerings. If it weren't for their reputation and their "Made in Northampton" pedigree nobody would look twice at them. I do own a couple of pairs purchased on deep discount, but I wear my AEs more frequently. Churchs are also dreadfully stiff and uncomfortable.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
My old and well-worn Church's Custom Grade "Ashley":

DSC_0083.jpg

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent development.

My church combination sole pebble grain bluchers are loosing thread in one spot (where laces meet the uppers) I have to take it to cobbler to stitch it back at some point. The heel on left shoe is delaminating. Yes delaminating, it is a rubber heel and I have never ever seen rubber coming off in layers like a dead skin. I took scissors to it and trimmed it, hopefully it will stop delaminating further, but I have to say that is one ****** quality material to behave like that.

I will not be buying Church's shoes.

I have never had these problems with any other shoes including cheap ones.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salsalocust
Church "Kenford 2" on the 108 last

No polished binder..... no corrected grain...... no clunky lasts......no dodgy stitching...well cut...... clean styling.....

Looks good. Thanks for setting the record straight.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salsalocust
Church "Kenford 2" on the 108 last

IMG_0554.jpg
[/IMG]

No polished binder..... no corrected grain...... no clunky lasts......no dodgy stitching...well cut...... clean styling.....NO PAYLESS JOKES!
devil.gif

IMG_0560.jpg
[/IMG]

eh, the shape may be OK, but that broguing is just not right. It does not quite have the austere simplicity of a captoe, nor does it have the casual nonchalance of a long wingtip. It's an in-between mutant, lacking any distinct identity.

Salsalocust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
eh, the shape may be OK, but that broguing is just not right. It does not quite have the austere simplicity of a captoe, nor does it have the casual nonchalance of a long wingtip. It's an in-between mutant, lacking any distinct identity.

'An in-between mutant lacking any distinct identity' seems unnecessarily pejorative.

I'm sure it wasn't made to deride
sly.gif
since, if consistently applied, you are condemning the styling similarities of the C & J Tavistock or the EG Beaulieu .... and that would never do
stirpot.gif

Now in terms of quality... the Beaulieu and the Tavistock are out of sight. That is not the point of argument here.

Regards,

Graham

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know much (read anything) about shoes and was wondering if anyone could give me more info on these shoes...

231695917-M.jpg

231695715-M.jpg

231695810-M.jpg

231695645-M.jpg

I picked these up for $10 at a local thrift store. If anyone could give me more info and general care tips it would be much appreciated.

well-kept

Reaction score
If they fit you, you did well for ten dollars. Those are older Church's, quite well made, and they seem to still have their original heels.

To care for them it is important to get shoe trees of the correct size and insert them when the shoes aren't being worn. Polish them with Meltonian cream. Every few times, follow the cream polish with an application of wax polish such as Kiwi. Don't wear them more than one day in a row. Allow them a day to rest. They should serve you well for a long time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads