• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“I Went To Wharton. It Goes Without Saying That You Should Want To F*** Me.”

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we had a misunderstanding over your use of the term "Wall Street". I was referring to investment banks, you seem to be referring to hedge funds and sponsors. I stand by my assessment when it comes to i-banks. I do agree with you that PE shops are quite focused on recruiting out of HBS. That's a much much smaller contingent than the number of grads recruited every year by Wall St banks though.

Re your comment on Chicago GSB and NYU Stern, I'm not sure what to say other than you seem to be disconnected from reality if you're not aware that they're top bracket core schools for i-bank recruiting

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Not a single applicant would choose any of the schools mentioned by you over HBS or Stanford regardless of their career path (especially if its finance).

It's quite absurd to see you imply that rankings are useless, and then tell everyone that only these two top schools are worth of a b-school education. I question your logic now as much as your judgement.

The sentence quoted above seems to disregard my point as to why preople go to business school, the career path they seek and how their b-school choice fits these goals. To give you an example, I did not even apply to HBS or Stanford when I decided to go to b-school. I was quite focused on i-banking as my post-MBA career and focused on strong finance b-schools. How does my choice reconcile with your simplistic broad-stroked statement above?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I think we had a misunderstanding over your use of the term "Wall Street". I was referring to investment banks, you seem to be referring to hedge funds and sponsors. I stand by my assessment when it comes to i-banks. I do agree with you that PE shops are quite focused on recruiting out of HBS. That's a much much smaller contingent than the number of grads recruited every year by Wall St banks though.

Re your comment on Chicago GSB and NYU Stern, I'm not sure what to say other than you seem to be disconnected from reality if you're not aware that they're top bracket core schools for i-bank recruiting

I meant in terms of overall prestige - the reason why i-banks tend to focus on Wharton, Columbia etc. is because they know they will lose the top HBS people to the principal investors. I'm not talking out of my a$$ here - I was on the recruiting team at Goldman, and there was an understanding that the top guys with prior Wall Street experience would opt for PE or HFs. The vast majority of people who join i-banking after b-school (as Associates) have no prior Wall Street experience. The ones who joined as analysts, do a two-year stint in IB and follow that up with PE or HF and then b-school. And then, like any smart group of people, they do not come back into banking.

The question was in terms of prestige, not i-banking recruiting, unless you're actually 'disconnected from reality' in believing that i-banking is the cool thing on Wall Street these days. Chicago (and maybe Stern) probably have more i-bankers than Harvard or Stanford, but that's not because they're better or more prestigious as some random set of rankings may imply.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's quite absurd to see you imply that rankings are useless, and then tell everyone that only these two top schools are worth of a b-school education.

Sigh - I never said that - I said that the rankings that place Wharton or Dartmouth as #1 have no basis in reality as the vast majority (there I changed it - I'm sure there are a few others like you) of applicants place the schools as follows: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton etc. etc.

I repeat - anyone who gets into Wharton or Columbia or Chicago is a very smart person worthy of respect. I'm simply saying the rankings are useless.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I meant in terms of overall prestige - the reason why i-banks tend to focus on Wharton, Columbia etc. is because they know they will lose the top HBS people to the principal investors. I'm not talking out of my a$$ here - I was on the recruiting team at Goldman, and there was an understanding that the top guys with prior Wall Street experience would opt for PE or HFs. The vast majority of people who join i-banking after b-school (as Associates) have no prior Wall Street experience. The ones who joined as analysts, do a two-year stint in IB and follow that up with PE or HF and then b-school. And then, like any smart group of people, they do not come back into banking.

The question was in terms of prestige, not i-banking recruiting, unless you're actually 'disconnected from reality' in believing that i-banking is the cool thing on Wall Street these days. Chicago (and maybe Stern) probably have more i-bankers than Harvard or Stanford, but that's not because they're better or more prestigious as some random set of rankings may imply.

I prefer not to respond to this ET. You seem to be getting more insulting and condescending with each post... I'm confused by your motivations to disparage a whole career choice along with a number of schools (despite you prefacing that it's not your intent, that's exactly what you're doing here...)
bored.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I prefer not to respond to this ET. You seem to be getting more insulting and condescending with each post... I'm confused by your motivations to disparage a whole career choice along with a number of schools (despite you prefacing that it's not your intent, that's exactly what you're doing here...)
bored.gif

You can choose to read my post again - I apologize if it came across as condescending as it was not meant to be. To repeat, I was an i-banker and think its a profession filled with very smart and driven people. I don't even work on Wall Street anymore but work for a congolomerate in the Midwest, so I'm not disparaging anyone or any profession.

If you do actually work on Wall Street then I'm sure you'll agree with my statements on how the analyst-associate progression typically works.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very rarely do PE firms touch Chicago. But that's because they mainly recruit from Harvard and Stanford. Chicago probably has the most people I've seen in the hedge fund sector (although most people working at a hedge fund don't have an MBA). I don't know what the heck you're talking about if you say there aren't many reputable funds that go there. I've also never heard anyone say that Wharton was a safety school many years ago, especially since it was a joke to get into an MBA program many years ago to begin with.

But Harvard and Stanford are still top notch for banking and I have yet to see a single banking analyst choose Stern over Harvard, or even Columbia.

I'm going to quit one day and start my own Orange Julius.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eustace Tilley;789389 said:
I apologize if it came across as condescending as it was not meant to be. /QUOTE] I find the tone of your avatar to be condescending.
tounge.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I'm going to quit one day and start my own Orange Julius.

laugh.gif

Too bad Stern doesn't teach copy / paste on photoshop
smile.gif
One of my best friends, UofC, has just started his own hedge fund. He says now he's finally made it. The best trader he's seen is 29 and made an est. 15 million last year with no MBA nor the industry supported SAT, the CFA which he calls this guy his "son" if you will. He says the MBA allowed him to be an entry level "slave" to the industry in order to get to do his own HF. I've never seen a guy so excitied in my life.

lithium180

Reaction score
My dad always used to tell me that when he went to Penn there was a sign above the toilet paper roll in one of the bathrooms that said "Wharton Degrees - Take one"
laugh.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
My dad always used to tell me that when he went to Penn there was a sign above the toilet paper roll in one of the bathrooms that said "Wharton Degrees - Take one"
laugh.gif

Legend is that at Swarthmore, in deference to the two academic tracks, there were two rolls of toilet paper-- Honors and Coarse.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw his myspace video. The guy talks like he is being dubbed over. This is what happens when you are given excessive positive reenforcement as a child.

Shraka

Reaction score
His myspace video is ****. Watch his eyes, he's reading off cue cards to the side of the camera. He can't even remember his own lines.

I think he HAS to be joking. Surely nobody is this stupid?

One of the trainers here owns a BMW M3. I never knew that his social status was so much higher than mine!
crazy.gif
I shal have to start kissing his arse when he gets back from his trip.
laugh.gif

Nantucket Red: Your avatar is awesome and very distracting. Do you know where that clip is from? I want the full video.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread to revive....I remembered how much I love JFP

Seriously though he speaks like he's marsupialed.

dl

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has to be a joke. I really enjoyed the MySpace video. He should try to capitalize on his cheesiness now like Antonio Banderas does.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads