• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cocktail Thread

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
So fussy...why not just drink liquor straight up?
The cocktail is one of the great American inventions. And they can be phenomenal. I've been partial to Negronis lately. Simple and delicious. I keep my vermouth in the fridge. This is a decent cocktail blog: http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/

graphix

Reaction score
That "Suffering Bastard" is a a modified version of the original Mai Tai which is a wonderful summertime drink...

2 ounces quality rum (I like barbancourt 8 year, i think it originally called for a jamaican rum though)
3/4 ounce lime juice (i just squeeze both halves of a lime with a mexican style squeezer)
1/2 ounce orgeat (don't overdo the orgeat)
1/2 ounce orange curacao
1/4 ounce simple syrup (not always necessary depending on how much orgeat you decide to use)

shake the **** out of it, strain over some fresh ice (i like crushed ice) drop in one of the lime hulls and a sprig of mint to garnish.

some classics and simple highballs i like are...

Pimm's no1 and gingerale with a nice wedge of lemon (gotta stir this one till its nice and cold or its just not the same)

Green Chartreuse and Soda with a big slice of orange squeezed in (same as above this needs to be nice and cold to work its best)

one of my favorite cocktails to date is the Corpse Reviver No. 2 just a hauntingly lovely cocktail when you get it just right.

Equal parts....
Tanqueray(avoid the more floral and soft gins for this one)
Lillet Blanc
Cointreau
and Lemon Juice (usually a touch less lemon than the rest)

shake hard and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. the original calls for a rinse of absithe before straining into the glass, since im not huge on licorice i choose to leave this out.

my favorite bar in NY is Flatiron Lounge i could watch that beautiful blonde who works there make cocktails till i fell off my stool.

Canadian

Reaction score
I know what you mean about candied drinks. I prefer a plain old vodka tonic (Grey Goose please, none of this Russian Prince or Smirnoff) or a whisky and water (Gibsons or Crown)

Some of the girls I consort with prefer those Hypnotiq and flavoured vodka drinks, but I prefer classics.

If you've never had one, I suggest having at least one Patron margurita, rocks, just to get it out of your system.

Tom

Mr Checks

Reaction score
I've been drinking Manhattans with Wild Turkey bourbon, as rye is next to impossible to find here.

Anyone have any views on Wild Turkey's Rye (the only kind I've ever seen here, and I'd have to track that down)

Mr Checks

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll probably pick up a fifth the next time I see it, although I've gotta say that the WT bourbon makes a helluva Manhattan too. I'll have to look into those cherries that Huntsman mentioned.

My after work decompression drink would be gin and tonic, with lemon instead of lime. Squeeze fresh lemon quarter over cracked ice. 2 oz plain old Gordon's gin (one of life's great remaining values at 8 bucks a fifth - why would drunks drink anything else?) contra the normal 1 to 2 ratio that bars serve. The secret would be the real lemon

Subsequent tonics would only have a splash of tonic.

As we speak, I am on "subsequent tonics"

Cheers

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely some guys here who know their drinks, which I'm quite glad to read. Flatiron and Pegu will be my two stops when next in NYC. Graphx, will try the CRII tomorrow night -- tonight is a Manhattan night. Checks, do get those cherries. No kidding they're unreal. Link for you: http://www.amazon.com/Amarena-Fabbri...6657023&sr=8-1 I keep my vermouth in the little wine captain under the bar until I buy this puppy to sit alongside it:
310sst.jpg
Drink in good health, Huntsman

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Cool thread. I'm a big fan of the martini, gin and tonic, and rusty nail...or just booze in general for that matter.

I just made a trip to the local purveyor of fine spirits today, and I'm going to try tackling a few more seasonal cocktails. First up is a hot buttered rum, or possibly some sort of tea-based toddy.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will hunt for those cherries.

I have to say, as lower-income as my parents were, they would still mix a mean cocktail from scratch when hosting friends in the 1960s and 70s. Too bad we've lost some of that (guys around here only drink beer or Red Bull/vodka).

I did turn convince one friend to start making martinis with gin instead of vodka, so maybe there's hope.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Thanks, I will hunt for those cherries.

I have to say, as lower-income as my parents were, they would still mix a mean cocktail from scratch when hosting friends in the 1960s and 70s. Too bad we've lost some of that (guys around here only drink beer or Red Bull/vodka).

I did turn convince one friend to start making martinis with gin instead of vodka, so maybe there's hope.

Cocktail parties and general decorum has fallen since the '60s and '70s, arguably the decades of the Cocktail Party for all social classes.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I love whisky sours, mojitos, and a weird drink I make with iced tea and barenjager. I don't think it has a name, I just call them beehives.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is unfortunate, that in a lot of bars/lounges when you ask for a "Martini" you are bound to get a vodka cocktail, unless you specify you want a gin Martini. I think most US population is afraid of more assertive flavors in their alcohol. Be that in their cocktails, beer or food.

I have been on a Sidecar kick lately. I have been inspired by http://drinkboy.com and Mr. Kent Wang. I have been using Patron Citronge, fresh lemon juice and whichever cognac, armagnac or brandy is around for my Sidecars. I found that a dash of angostura bitters compliments the flavors of the Sidecar nicely, even though the original recipe does not call for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads