• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^If you can find vicuna anything for $40 you've done pretty well.
thumbs-up.gif

Please post a pic.

42 Dandy

Reaction score
I shall try.Let me say that I now understand why it is so coveted,as it has an unbelievably soft handle- like velvet!

mbell

Reaction score
So I am heading to the tie rack at Goodwill and before I even get to it the selection looks considerably nicer than usual. The first one that interests me is a Zegna, the next one a Zegna. Tie after tie turns out to be a Zegna. There are also some nice ones from Paul Frederick, Ferragamo, Countess Mara and others, but the bulk of the good ones are Zegna.

I have about 22-25 ties drapped around my neck, which is how I hold them when thrift shopping. I'm starting to feel dizzy. I don't frequently wear ties, but how can I not buy these at $4 each?
bounce2.gif
Of course I am still thinking, Why does Goodwill charge so much for their ties? Especially since most of them are usually not even worth a dollar.
devil.gif

I narrowed it down to the 12 pictured below. All Zegna. Still more than I had any reasonable need for, especially after the 9 or so other ties I thrifted in the past month or so. I cleared out some of my older, not so great ties, so maybe that will justifiy it a little.
blush.gif

mike

zegna1sm.jpg

Larger Version

zegna2sm.jpg

Larger Version

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
The first one that interests me is a Zegna, the next one a Zegna. Tie after tie turns out to be a Zegna. I narrowed it down to the 12 pictured below. All Zegna.

Jackpot!!!!!
bounce2.gif

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
May the former Zegna owner RIP.

It's likely they did come from the same person. But I wonder if he retired (or changed jobs) rather than expired? I forgot to mention that several of them were still knotted. If he died it seems like there would be some other nice clothes as well. Maybe I need to get back to that store...

mike

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Nice score! It could have simply been a closet cleaning. Some guys churn their tie wardrobes or, as stated above, it may just be a retirement or move to business casual.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall a post from some months ago wondering if anyone has ever come across any celebrity owned items when they were out thrifting. I grant you that this one is very marginal, but I came across a large portion of Dan Marino SENIOR'S wardrobe this afternoon.

Also, I found a S. T. Dupont, Paris tie this afternoon. I thought they were pens and lighters and the like. Anyone know their ties? Very nice silk and the construction is solid.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Some guys (chorse123, maybe?) had some Dupont pocket squares for sale in Buying & Selling. I'm sure they were nice if he was bothering with them.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
I recall a post from some months ago wondering if anyone has ever come across any celebrity owned items when they were out thrifting. I grant you that this one is very marginal, but I came across a large portion of Dan Marino SENIOR'S wardrobe this afternoon.

Also, I found a S. T. Dupont, Paris tie this afternoon. I thought they were pens and lighters and the like. Anyone know their ties? Very nice silk and the construction is solid.

Dan Marino Jr. (the quarterback),dresses very well for an NFL TV guy.

Sp how did his dad dress?

Oxxford or Hart Schafner & Marx are my guesses.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Dan Marino Jr. (the quarterback),dresses very well for an NFL TV guy.

Sp how did his dad dress?

Oxxford or Hart Schafner & Marx are my guesses.

Four or five suits and jackets all bespoke (or at least mtm) from the mid 90s. Nice stuff from a New York tailor. Most were three button with a pretty low button stance by today's standards.

swb120

Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify this tie? A thrifting find, it was together with a tie from the Yale Coop, and made by the same manufacturer. I didn't recognize the designs, but thought someone here might be able to place it:

IMG_5999.jpg

IMG_5998.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

Nashville

Reaction score
I found 9 pocket squares this weekend, two of them were blue seersucker, small and medium checks!!! and a few beautiful paisley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics