The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^If you can find vicuna anything for $40 you've done pretty well. [​IMG]

Please post a pic.

2. 42 Dandy

42 Dandy Active Member

I shall try.Let me say that I now understand why it is so coveted,as it has an unbelievably soft handle- like velvet!

3. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I shall try.Let me say that I now understand why it is so coveted,as it has an unbelievably soft handle- like velvet!

<-- envious.

4. mbell

mbell Senior member

So I am heading to the tie rack at Goodwill and before I even get to it the selection looks considerably nicer than usual. The first one that interests me is a Zegna, the next one a Zegna. Tie after tie turns out to be a Zegna. There are also some nice ones from Paul Frederick, Ferragamo, Countess Mara and others, but the bulk of the good ones are Zegna.

I have about 22-25 ties drapped around my neck, which is how I hold them when thrift shopping. I'm starting to feel dizzy. I don't frequently wear ties, but how can I not buy these at $4 each?[​IMG] Of course I am still thinking, Why does Goodwill charge so much for their ties? Especially since most of them are usually not even worth a dollar. [​IMG]

I narrowed it down to the 12 pictured below. All Zegna. Still more than I had any reasonable need for, especially after the 9 or so other ties I thrifted in the past month or so. I cleared out some of my older, not so great ties, so maybe that will justifiy it a little. [​IMG]

mike

[​IMG]
    Larger Version

[​IMG]
    Larger Version

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

The first one that interests me is a Zegna, the next one a Zegna. Tie after tie turns out to be a Zegna. I narrowed it down to the 12 pictured below. All Zegna.

Jackpot!!!!! [​IMG]

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

7. mbell

mbell Senior member

May the former Zegna owner RIP.

It's likely they did come from the same person. But I wonder if he retired (or changed jobs) rather than expired? I forgot to mention that several of them were still knotted. If he died it seems like there would be some other nice clothes as well. Maybe I need to get back to that store...

mike

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Nice score! It could have simply been a closet cleaning. Some guys churn their tie wardrobes or, as stated above, it may just be a retirement or move to business casual.

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I bought a Hickey Freeman jacket and I'm guessing it's an orphan. Bought it anyway because it's in great shape and fits nice. Wearable? Should I change out the buttons? Stripes seem a bit subtle so maybe it will work eh. [​IMG]

10. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

I recall a post from some months ago wondering if anyone has ever come across any celebrity owned items when they were out thrifting. I grant you that this one is very marginal, but I came across a large portion of Dan Marino SENIOR'S wardrobe this afternoon.

Also, I found a S. T. Dupont, Paris tie this afternoon. I thought they were pens and lighters and the like. Anyone know their ties? Very nice silk and the construction is solid.

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^Some guys (chorse123, maybe?) had some Dupont pocket squares for sale in Buying &amp; Selling. I'm sure they were nice if he was bothering with them.

12. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I recall a post from some months ago wondering if anyone has ever come across any celebrity owned items when they were out thrifting. I grant you that this one is very marginal, but I came across a large portion of Dan Marino SENIOR'S wardrobe this afternoon.

Also, I found a S. T. Dupont, Paris tie this afternoon. I thought they were pens and lighters and the like. Anyone know their ties? Very nice silk and the construction is solid.

Dan Marino Jr. (the quarterback),dresses very well for an NFL TV guy.

Sp how did his dad dress?

Oxxford or Hart Schafner & Marx are my guesses.

13. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Dan Marino Jr. (the quarterback),dresses very well for an NFL TV guy.

Sp how did his dad dress?

Oxxford or Hart Schafner & Marx are my guesses.

Four or five suits and jackets all bespoke (or at least mtm) from the mid 90s. Nice stuff from a New York tailor. Most were three button with a pretty low button stance by today's standards.

14. swb120

swb120 Senior member

Can anyone help me identify this tie? A thrifting find, it was together with a tie from the Yale Coop, and made by the same manufacturer. I didn't recognize the designs, but thought someone here might be able to place it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    I found 9 pocket squares this weekend, two of them were blue seersucker, small and medium checks!!! and a few beautiful paisley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.