• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea where I might be able to find Nom De Guerre's deconstructed plaid shirt in black/red from current season? Blackbird had it but seems to be sold out.

drainpipe

Reaction score
I need some fairly inexpensive layering shirts that could be worn by themselves. I'm thinking of ordering some AA longsleeve henleys off of a wholesaler. Has anyone had experience with these? I'm usually a size small in AA t-shirts so I'm wondering if the fit will still be consistent.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, can someone direct me to - or post - correct measurements of B.Son's ribbed hoodie and the jersey henley in grey/white in size M and L, at least pit-to-pit sizes. Thanks. Revolve have measurements but I don't trust them. They tell me to size up while, for instance, LA Guy mentioned that they run large and recommend to size down one. I'm confused.

I trust users measurements more than sites general sizing guides.

edit: maybe LA Guy or someone else could just suggest what size I should go for if I'm a 20.5" in the chest (but am able to wear 20 or 21 as well).

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drainpipe
I need some fairly inexpensive layering shirts that could be worn by themselves. I'm thinking of ordering some AA longsleeve henleys off of a wholesaler. Has anyone had experience with these? I'm usually a size small in AA t-shirts so I'm wondering if the fit will still be consistent.

The henleys run smaller than the tees. Having said that, I wear a medium in both, so you can order them the same size as you wear in their tees; just be prepared for more of a slim fit.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I was considering these distressed black dress shoes. I like the look and aesthetics of these and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on them? Which ones you like better, quality info, am i an idiot for even considering them? Anybody know how these fit if i'm traditionally a 10.5-11? Also, has anyone even heard of the lvr brand, sand?

http://www.barneys.com/b/browse/prod...egoryId=281248

http://www.barneys.com/b/browse/prod...egoryId=281248

http://www.luisaviaroma.com/ecnew/Co...&CodArticolo=2

I know they probably rub a lot of people the wrong way, but i like the styling for some reason. I feel i'd be able to wear them casually and with semi dressy stuff with an edge. I don't know how to describe it since i'm still developing style wise. I feel i'd possibly be able to build from a pair of those though. I don't know. I didn't want to create a whole thread for it though but appreciate feedback.

LVH is depressing because it reminds me how ****** the dollar is right now.

Anyone else have any advice about sizing or thoughts? I know pg2g sized down .5 on a different barneys shoe. I know people generally don't like treated/distressed shoes but i'm really not interested in the ae look. I liked these because 2 of them reminded me of these ccp shoes coldrice is selling http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=37769 . Anyone? I desperately need some new/better shoes.

eecc

Reaction score
can someone please help me ID this leather jacket?

July_Home_Left.jpg

Thanks.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have any advice about sizing or thoughts? I know pg2g sized down .5 on a different barneys shoe. I know people generally don't like treated/distressed shoes but i'm really not interested in the ae look. I liked these because 2 of them reminded me of these ccp shoes coldrice is selling http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=37769 . Anyone? I desperately need some new/better shoes.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off just hitting up thrift/consignment store or lurk eBay for used shoes. Among the thousands models ever put out by existing or defunct American/British/Italian shoemakers (yes, even some by AE), there gotta be something sleek enough to fit your aesthetic. You'll most likely get an, at least, equally well-constructed shoes for a song (more experimenting possibilities!) and learn a ton about fine shoes in the process.

chronoaug

Reaction score
I mean, i've seen some sorta similar AEs, J&Ms, etc... on ebay for cheap i was considering but they just scream "dress shoe" to me. Where is a site or some brands i could browse for similar shoes to what i'm looking for? Besides the fact that they're aesthetically (and morally to MCers who cringe at treated shoes like these) different, what is inherently wrong with them? Is the barneys in house brand **** or something? I've never dealt with them so i'm not sure. The look/aesthetic of the shoe is the most important thing to me, assuming the shoe itself isn't garbage that is. I've seen some NDCs i like, but those are $500+ and impossible to find.

Whatever happened to that one dress shoe thread awhile back? I tried various searches for it but couldn't find it as i'm not sure what the title was. There was one just describing cool shoes, and another with i think briansd deciding between two shoes (acnes and some other ones).

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certain shoe styles go well with jeans and does not carry the "dress shoe" stigma. My recommendations would be a wholecut like the Westgate Augusto86 is rocking here here, or chelsea boots (AE Taunton), or blucher plain-toe (AE Leeds, like this). Something similar from Alden would work just as well.

As for the distressed/treated leather effect, do a search over at the MC forum for antiquing/dying.

chronoaug

Reaction score
I'll look into other brands if i can find them and try and search the MC forum for antiquing and stuff, but i just don't like the general shape, look, aesthetic, whatever of AE shoes. I know it make me like hitler here on this forum, but i've never really liked much i've seen from them on online stores, or from various pics on the forum. Most of the stuff is just waaayyy too conservative looking.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it can look really good to wear shoes like that with raw jeans, but there are a lot of factors such as inseam, cuff, and color that can throw things off. I'm not a fan of pre distressed stuff but the shoes you posted were not bad. I prefer brown to black, but you could definitely do waaaaay worse than those shoes.

I saw some of the Barney's shoes at the Co-Op a few weeks ago and they are indeed not badly styled, but a classic dress shoe would look just as good and you could save the majority of that $265.00

Chrono, on a related note, I got those Nudies in a 31 like you said and the fit is perfect. I couldn't squeeze into a size down.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was one just describing cool shoes, and another with i think briansd deciding between two shoes (acnes and some other ones).

This is Brian SD's thread.

kennithkole

Reaction score
If someone would be more than willing to help me, I would like to know what kind of white shoes cristiano is wearing in the beginning of this video segment. I myself would like to get a pair.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i was thinking of not asking this, but no one ever seems to notice my questions anyways so why not right?

http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/M...t=jpeg&qlt=100

alright, so i always assumed these shirts stemmed from the whole 'white collar/blue collar thing'. maybe this is a really stupid question... but are there are any shirts made that are the complete opposite of this shirt. you know with a blue collar and a white body?

robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads