• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People who watch The Wire

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Favorite scene from the show? Mine is the confrontation between Stringer and Avon at the end of an episode in Season Three.

(If you name a scene in Season Four, make sure to avoid mentioning plot developments for those of us who don't have HBO!)

you need an htpc :p

1. go to www.utorrent.com
2. install it (don't worry, has no spyware and is a very streamlined client)
3. go to www.torrentscan.com
4. setup a wireless network and stream everything to your HTPC/TV

You'll find every show you could ever want on torrentscan, usually within 24/hrs of it airing.

sybaritical

Reaction score
I don't have a TV but On Miz and ddml's recommendation I caught season 1 recently on TV links before it disappeared ... Now I'm hungry for more ...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sybaritical
I don't have a TV but On Miz and ddml's recommendation I caught season 1 recently on TV links before it disappeared ... Now I'm hungry for more ...

Overall it's a great show. Season 2 is the weakest. I don't think i could rate the others in any particular order because they're all great.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite scenes was when streetwise/player/hustler/ Stringer finally realized he got played by smooth talking State Senator Clay.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm rewatching season 2 right now for the first time since i saw it and i really like this angle of the show....best show ever

has anyone ever watched homicide?

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Season 2 is great. I love the portrayal of the FBI (and the actor does a great job at playing a Feeb) and thought the Customs portrayal was dead on (the white collar / blue collar difference between the two agencies). The fact that what's her name, a port police officer was working a customs related investigation was the real low part for such a realistically developed show. No way...but whatever, it was great anyhow.

And if you don't think cops sit around and BS, or otherwise find new and interesting uses for the word **** throughout their day, you don't know any cops.

stingray3

Reaction score
One of my favorite scenes occurs in Season 2 during the Bird murder trial. During cross-examination, Levy accuses Omar of being a parasite living off the drug trade. Omar responds by saying “Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase.”

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Oh, how could I forget...Fuzzy Dunlop...the whole thing starting from Hurc talking Carver into using his own CC to put a deposit on using the wireless mic...all the way until season 4 with the "Fuzzy Dunlop" CI. That was hilarious...

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdc_2008
Season 2 is great. I love the portrayal of the FBI (and the actor does a great job at playing a Feeb) and thought the Customs portrayal was dead on (the white collar / blue collar difference between the two agencies). The fact that what's her name, a port police officer was working a customs related investigation was the real low part for such a realistically developed show. No way...but whatever, it was great anyhow.

And if you don't think cops sit around and BS, or otherwise find new and interesting uses for the word **** throughout their day, you don't know any cops.

I don't any cops that would make a minute and a half out of it in a musical theatre type way. Maybe in the East Village.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has The Wire ever been nominated for a Best Drama Emmy? It may be too depressing and realistic even for critics.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Has The Wire ever been nominated for a Best Drama Emmy? It may be too depressing and realistic even for critics.

IIRC it's the best-rated drama on television by most critical measures, but it's never done well in either viewership or at the Emmys. It was snubbed HARD at the last Emmys, which if I actually thought the Emmys had any legitimacy would have really pissed me off... but I don't, so it didn't.

mizanation

Reaction score
i remember when they were gonna cancel the wire and i read the following editorial: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DG1FA8O1P1.DTL the middle aged white man who wrote the piece wore a du-rag with an orange prison jumpsuit--perhaps, in honor of avon barksdale? i thought that was pretty cool.
dd_goodman10_jeffrey.jpg

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
BTW, did anyone link this yet? It's great.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...fa_fact_talbot

Love this: 'Once, a man pressed a package of heroin into the hands of Andre Royo, the actor who plays the sympathetic junkie and police informant Bubbles, saying, "Man, you need a fix more than I do." Royo refers to that moment as his "street Oscar."'

mizanation

Reaction score
^^^, haha, that's crazy. he probably has that bag of dope on his mantle, next to pictures of his wife and kids and his bowling trophy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics