• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
The good news is that since you can't tell the difference, it really doesn't matter.

Others will judge me based on the relative lightness or darkness of my tweeds. I mustn't make a tweedy faux pas.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
If you will make the cardigan in a color that is not black, I would be interested. Grey, navy would be good.

first run are all in black, since they arent custom made color choices arent an option. But the (hopefully) next batch will be in a different colorway

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy / white stripe would be sweet as well (if you're tallying votes, mind you).

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get Smart, if I was to order a cardigan in size L, how soon would you be able to ship it out? Would it cost me $115 incl shipping to Vancouver?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
made a blogspot site for Thick as Thieves, I might over-ride my current site and have the blog site be the official one for a while. I like the format since I can update easily and more frequently as needed. Also I can throw in notes pertainting to certain items and answer FAQs.

Among things I added are some new fabrics, 3 grey flannels (lt, med, darker) and 2 brown herringbone tweeds (dark and light)

Check it out, any feedback on the blogsite vs normal one is appreciated

Thick as Thieves Blogsite

btw, if I ever link a pic of you on the site (from this one) and you don't want it up let me know and I'll remove it

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Check it out, any feedback on the blogsite vs normal one is appreciated

Looks good. I've always felt the main site's Gallery was lacking in a certain user-friendliness (the click-to-pic ratio was too high, making TaT seem kinda half-baked), so I really like being able to scroll around and see lotsa shots. In general, I've felt like there was more pages than info to really fill them out, so I like the density of the blog format. It'll be even better when you get pics of more guys on there.

I know a lot of the cool kid stores prefer blogs over (or in conjunction with) regular e-tail sites, and it definitely gives the enterprise an intimate DIY, Web 2.0 feel, which I think jives especially well with TaT, considering it's MTM. The drawback is that you lose a bit of professionalism. Personally, I'd recommend linking the two sites more clearly, like have the TaT blog be a sidebar to the official site (a la Selfedge), even if it is the more active site. I also strongly recommend playing around with different templates to make it look less "5-hour-old-fly-by-night-blogspot-blog" (here look at Blackbird, which hardly even looks like blogspot except for the URL). I know that a lot of people slag off the Blogspot platform, and that Wordpress has more street cred, specifically because Blogspot makes everything look so cookie-cutter, so you need to make an effort to counter-act that.

Oh, and you should enable anonymous commenters so we can all create a bunch of sock-puppet usernames and rave about how TaT is about to blow up big time.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
right on thanks..didnt even know I had to *enable* anonymous commentary, but I'll do that

Yeah as it is now, you need to have a Blogger account (or maybe just a Gmail, as they're both under Google) to be able to post a comment. You could be getting all kinds of inquiries and never know it.

velobran

Reaction score
New blog looks nice. I like seeing all the different designs on one scrollable page. Really makes me want to cough up the dough for the tweed!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find it important to be able to easily browse all the available items, without figuring out which posts are just news, which ones are new photos, duplicates, etc. For now, I recommend having both your site and the blog, unless you can find a way to separate the catalog from the news in Blogspot.

mattjames

Reaction score
Excellent idea to set up that blog. I don't know if you are able to update your site yourself, but I imagine it is more difficult to do so and the blog format will make you more inclined to display new photos and fabrics as you get them.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jas-

Just looked at the blog again... is there a place from which one could place an order, like a link to the order page of the mainsite or a link that activates the visitor's mail-program to communicate with TaT HQ about ordering? If there is, I didn't come across it. I see the list of measurements needed, and your bank of external links, but no info about actually buying a TaT (is the pricing structure posted?). I'm most certainly nit-picking here, because I know this blog is in the very very early stages, but don't neglect the bid-ness end of your labor-of-love. Seems to me that unless you intend for the blog to be a fully autonomous news-wire type entity, you should have a prominent button for people to pull the trigger with.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Good point JC...I havent had much time to think about it, other than what I threw on friday nite, and havent had time to look thru it and fill in missing pieces.

I don't list any pricing because I do have different pricing levels, depending on where the buyer is coming from (I do sell stuff outside of SFers), but I'll have to see about adding a format to actually buy something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics