• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Wow... and I thought Ineke "Derring Do" and Lez Nez "Let me Play the Lion" were the oddest fragrance names.
wink.gif

Anyway, it's cooler today, so Prada Amber. Technically, it's marketed for women, but the deep patchouli and amber still work well for men (it's sweet, like CoSTUME NATIONAL Scent Intense, but also a little warmer and deeper).

I always thought The Third Man was a distinctly odd name, almost a non sequitur.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried out the new Bond No. 9 (New York) 'Chez Bond' yet?

Omega Man

Reaction score
Today I am wearing FM French Lover. Just one of those days that I don't want to wear anything fruity.

As for Chez Bond from Bond No.9, I think it is a classic scent. The notes are very very similar to GIT from Creed IMHO. It is a anytime anywhere scent.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I always thought The Third Man was a distinctly odd name, almost a non sequitur.

IIRC, I believe that 3eme Homme was the third men's release from Caron, after PuH and Yatagan... though I could be mistaken. If the name isn't related to the number of men's fragrances from Caron, I agree that it really doesn't make much sense.

Also, I'm wearing Lutens Miel de Bois today. Woods and rotten honey... gotta love it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Going with a classic scent - Trumper's Bay Rum. Bay leaf, rum, and cloves in abundance. Love it!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Diptyque Philosykos today... sort of a wet, woody fig. Quite pleasant for a cool, clear fall day.

Was thinking of going with the decant of Curzon I got from Thomas... but didn't have the nerve. Wow, what a scent that one is... an olfactory smack on the back of the head.
wink.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It was rather cool yesterday, a good morning, and like a tourist I thought that today would be cool as well. I threw on a jacket and Ungaro III this morning thinking I would be appropriate for the weather. Nope. 75 and sticky-humid out there. If they fixed the A/C in my office I would be fine, but even that comes down to a coin flip at the moment.

Ungaro III is a dark scent, redolent of damp earth and roses and probably best worn in the dead of winter. For some reason I think Vincent Price would have worn this for sitting in his dark library, reading ghost stories to the neighborhood children whose parents are counting the minutes until their younglings return.

And, Rach, I won't comment on your lack of nerve, since I've been reluctant about wearing Curzon ever since it bloomed on me one afternoon and I could not get out of my office fast enough.
laugh.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

I thought The Third Man was named after a movie of the same name. Can't recall where I heard that (probably basenotes), but I do find it an odd scent. Ivan Kipling liked it quite a lot, but I think we're cut from slightly different cloths where scents are concerned.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday - L'Artisan Parfumer Mechant Loup. Jut like L'Arisan Dzing, I can barely smell anything and have a hard time distinguishing individual notes with this one. I think my nose is not sensitive to some of the ingredients in these two fragnances.

Today - trying out Parfums Frederic Malle Noir Epices. On my skin I smell rose and sweetness, but none of the "spice market" that is suppose to be there. This rose dose not do much for me. I think this is a much better match for my wife. When I want to do rose I prefer the metallic rose of Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare.

sybaritical

Reaction score
Commes des Garcons Rhubarb No.5.

It's a slight bit too sweet when you first put it on but it lingers into something
unmistakably green and fresh. Perfect for clear bright autumnal days like today.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Krizia Uomo for the Fall day.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Went shopping for an anniversary gift last night, ended up at Sephora getting samples of men's scents. Got a sample of Cartier Pasha (among others) and I'm really liking it today. It's a fougere, similar to Platinum Egoiste, but a little more tightly wound, not so many florals peeking through, and then there's that mint note that keeps things interesting. Kind of like I'm wearing toothpaste, but at least it's Marvis toothpaste instead of Crest. I might have to get a bottle of this one.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
18 October: Patchouli by Profumum. Just bought it from the Scent Bar and really growing on me. The drydown is spectacular!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tiffany for Men again today. When in doubt, or on days when the weather is nothing spectacular, this one is always a good fallback option.

Also, Thomas, found out that some of my relatives from "that side of the family" (everybody has "that side," whose inevitable visits bring about a mix of bewilderment and loathing) will be visiting this weekend. I think that Curzon will finally have found its proper setting, where a little bit of over-spraying will be in order. If nothing else, it will guarantee a short visit.
devil.gif

If only I hadn't run out of SMN Peau d'espagne...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads