• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
onto more important issues...

$355 for plasticky hi-shine leather and cemented soled shoes from Paul Smith is really pissing me off, esp since the pair in question looks so damn nice.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Those Americanized Asians should get their raggedy asses out of their BMWs and Express For Men.

lol, I've noticed it's more Mercedes Benz than BMW these days.....and outlet malls that have an Armani "boutique" since that's the epitome of style, class and wealth

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Yeah, because arbitrarily deciding what does and does not require translation in a country renowned for its "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" melting-pot history wouldn't be, right?

Go to a five-star restaurant with a menu entirely in French and it's "haut dining," but go to some place called El Burrito de Oaxaca and it's "What the **** is a 'chalupa' or 'huevos con machacha? This is supposed to be America."

I am so glad that somebody else has taken on the responsibility for arguing with the lunacy that is Tie Collector.

My wife is first or second generation American from Mexico (nobody is really sure which side her father was born on) on one side and the other side of her family moved west in covered wagons. I think that is what is good with America, the idea that we gain culture from those who choose to move here, and they gain from our culture and economy. The more the merrier IMO.

As far as the signs in other languages, the signs are there to attract the customers to the business. If they weren't helpind do that, they would change them to English. I can't think how it hurts anybody what language signs are in, as long as the business is following the law and paying taxes, the more business in the US the better.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Geez. Sensitive out to prove themselves intellectuals take **** too seriously. I wasn't talking about forcing everybody to change or that other ethnic groups in US cities must provide english everything and welcome me with a red carpet. I'm not looking for people to conform to me nor am i saying "woe is me." It would be nice if it certain ethnic neighborhoods that GS was originally talking about would be more welcoming to people other than their own, but i would never infringe on their rights or force my way upon them nor do i think it's a major problem for america . I still go in these places when i'm in Orlando (large viettown), boston or new york every once in awhile, usually from friend recommendations who know the good places, but it's not that big a deal if i'm uncomfortable or even if i don't go. It's their business and they can run it how they want and i could really care less.

I don't think GS was necessarily calling for a full on americanization of every ethnic neighborhood. I think he was implying that some of the neighborhoods were less than inviting to people outside their ethnic group, which he saw as a problem. I do like how people took the conversation to a full argument to show how smart they are and how stupid others are though.

I'm sure someone will come by and prove they're a better person by understanding this better and not being bothered by it but here is something else that pisses me off:

Students in classes who go out of their way to intellectually show off in class. By that i mean, instead of asking real questions in class, they ask questions with the answers pretty much already in them just to show everyone and the teacher that they're familiar with the subject. It usually sidetracks the professor, drags class out and watching the smug faces on those kids is kinda irritating.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Students in classes who go out of their way to intellectually show off in class. By that i mean, instead of asking real questions in class, they ask questions with the answers pretty much already in them just to show everyone and the teacher that they're familiar with the subject. It usually sidetracks the professor, drags class out and watching the smug faces on those kids is kinda irritating.

I got my degree in philosophy. You're doing, what, history, right? Trust me when I tell you that I had it even worse. I am so there with you.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
onto more important issues...

$355 for plasticky hi-shine leather and cemented soled shoes from Paul Smith is really pissing me off, esp since the pair in question looks so damn nice.

Ugh, I'm with you on that one. In my case it was a pair of gorgeous looking Too Boot monks. But they felt like corrected grain were also glued (I think). I didn't even look at the price.

b

chronoaug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I got my degree in philosophy. You're doing, what, history, right? Trust me when I tell you that I had it even worse. I am so there with you.

Ugh. I'm in a History of Intellectual History 1700-present right now and it's basically a philosophy class. Only the teacher is very bad. He's a smart guy and knows his stuff, he just doesn't facilitate learning very well. It's almost as if his lectures are him reading an essay he wrote on the subject. With a class like that, healthy discussion would be perfect but even when he does have some, he doesn't know how to aide and guide discussion. I guess teachers like that are another thing that piss me off.

I don't know how you didn't get kicked out of school for filling those kids with .7mm #2 lead.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster

Students would also, though rarely, do that in my econ classes too. It usually took one of two forms: some weird marxist thing or trying to jump to grad level material. It becomes very hard with one student to come up with a way to not tell a him "No, you're wrong and you're always wrong. Stop raising your hand."

b

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
It becomes very hard with one student to come up with a way to not tell a him "No, you're wrong and you're always wrong. Stop raising your hand."

Artisan Fran was in your econ class?

rimshot.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Artisan Fran was in your econ class?
rimshot.gif

Nah, Fran was talking up the always wrong Econ student about the environment and global warming. Possibly about hairstyles as well
devil.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Ugh. I'm in a History of Intellectual History 1700-present right now and it's basically a philosophy class. Only the teacher is very bad. He's a smart guy and knows his stuff, he just doesn't facilitate learning very well. It's almost as if his lectures are him reading an essay he wrote on the subject. With a class like that, healthy discussion would be perfect but even when he does have some, he doesn't know how to aide and guide discussion. I guess teachers like that are another thing that piss me off.

I don't know how you didn't get kicked out of school for filling those kids with .7mm #2 lead.

See, you have to wait until you get a teacher who smacks those kids down in front of the whole class. Then the whole thing is worth it. And it obviates the need for ammunition, which I couldn't have afforded in college anyway.

Rdawson, DO IT!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nah, Fran was talking up the always wrong Econ student about the environment and global warming. Possibly about hairstyles as well
devil.gif

oh... that annoying Danish student...

chronoaug

Reaction score
My girlfriend's english teacher basically asked this freshman in a 4000 level english class to drop his class and take it again in 2 years in front of everyone as he disagrees with the professor with 30 years experience in the field and asks terrible questions. IB and AP programs give incoming freshman a false sense of superiority it seems and it's always nice to watch them crash and burn. We need more hard ass teachers.

I just hope grad school will be better with this stuff, but i'm not that optimistic.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am so glad that somebody else has taken on the responsibility for arguing with the lunacy that is Tie Collector.

My wife is first or second generation American from Mexico (nobody is really sure which side her father was born on) on one side and the other side of her family moved west in covered wagons. I think that is what is good with America, the idea that we gain culture from those who choose to move here, and they gain from our culture and economy. The more the merrier IMO.

As far as the signs in other languages, the signs are there to attract the customers to the business. If they weren't helpind do that, they would change them to English. I can't think how it hurts anybody what language signs are in, as long as the business is following the law and paying taxes, the more business in the US the better.

My spanish prof told us that california provides social services in 27 indian languages to help-out the large mexican population. Is that true? (i get the feeling sometimes my prof is a bit of an idiot so I don't know if I can believe everything he says)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads