• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Without wanting to sound smug, I truly feel sorry for those of you who live in this sad and scary world overrun by strangers from other countries who refuse to conform to your language and customs and who seem to threaten your basic sense of security - it doesn't sound like a fun place.

Its not all bad. We have Gay Bashing and Race baiting on Saturday nights. It could be worse, we could be Canadian.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
You have "ethnic ghettos" in Gainesville?

musicboohoo[1].gif

It boggles my mind how you expect a group of people to adapt their comfort levels just to suit your own. Try living in another country with a language foreign to your own. I'll assume you haven't and tell you that a few months, or hell, years, of dealing with another culture 24/7 can get old and will have you missing a few familiar comforts.

It's a shame to see this kind of "you're here so do things the way we do" attitude from people who have no experience from the other side of the coin.

It must be difficult, however, who ever said that starting a new life over was easy? Not everyone can do it, and if you can't then maybe you go back and try to change the country you came from instead of trying to change this country. There is already a place like China, it is even called China.

If I were missing America, I know one place I could go where it would feel like home again......... *America* of course.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
It must be difficult, however, who ever said that starting a new life over was easy? Not everyone can do it, and if you can't then maybe you go back and try to change the country you came from instead of trying to change this country. There is already a place like China, it is even called China. If I were missing America, I know one place I could go where it would feel like home again......... *America* of course.
Visit England much? You must spend many sleepless-nights writing to Taco Bell asking that they finally change the word "burrito" to "Mexican wrap" and "taco" to "Mexican crunchy sandwich." Foreign vernacular is just soooo scarrrryyyy...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visit England much?

You must spend many sleepless-nights writing to Taco Bell asking that they finally change the word "burrito" to "Mexican wrap" and "taco" to "Mexican crunchy sandwich." Foreign vernacular is just soooo scarrrryyyy...

No, that is a bit much. Some things it is okay to keep the foreign names, such as food. But storefronts should at least have a translation. Menus that don't use a roman alphabet should certainly be translated. Ever been to Home Depot, I literally go there just to learn Spanish sometimes. There is no reason for the word "wood" to be in two languages. Language binds a people more than anything else and by having people not speak the language there is nothing good that can come from it.

Last edited:

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must spend many sleepless-nights writing to Taco Bell asking that they finally change the word "burrito" to "Mexican wrap" and "taco" to "Mexican crunchy sandwich."

lol8[1].gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Must be nice to have a language completely comprised of American English and not a bit of it borrowed from Germanic or Latin languages.

When I mentioned England I was referring to "going back to change the country you can from instead of trying to change this country," but perhaps you're of Dutch decent. My bad.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be nice to have a language completely comprised of American English and not a bit of it borrowed from Germanic or Latin languages.

When I mentioned England I was referring to "going back to change the country you can from instead of trying to change this country," but perhaps you're of Dutch decent. My bad.

This is just silly. Maybe you'd feel better if we all just went back to this:

provinces.jpg

If that isn't far back enough, maybe we can all make up our own languages and be nomadic tribes I'll claim my apartment as the Royal Order von TieCollectorStag.

SieurDeLaSalle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
This is scary stuff GS. It's almost *** scary
confused.gif

That *** sure is a "Problem"... Wait a Second, what's that... Oh! It's the *** riding down the Street: "HOLDING THE BLACK MAN DOWN"... Versus the obvious problem of: Absent Father's Welfare Ignorance Oh...That's "The Man's" fault too... Back to the regularly scheduled "it's all whitey's fault, we be needin Reperations Thread"...
tounge.gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
This is just silly.

If that isn't far back enough, maybe we can all make up our own languages and be nomadic tribes I'll claim my apartment as the Royal Order von TieCollectorStag.

Yeah, because arbitrarily deciding what does and does not require translation in a country renowned for its "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" melting-pot history wouldn't be, right?

Go to a five-star restaurant with a menu entirely in French and it's "haut dining," but go to some place called El Burrito de Oaxaca and it's "What the **** is a 'chalupa' or 'huevos con machacha? This is supposed to be America."

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm convinced that cars attempt to pass me because of the glint from the polished chrome on my car. They will move to the next lane and then cut in front of me despite me going 15+ over the regulated speed limit.

That's my criterion for chrome on a car--just enough to make people blind whilst driving.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

You must spend many sleepless-nights writing to Taco Bell asking that they finally change the word "burrito" to "Mexican wrap" and "taco" to "Mexican crunchy sandwich." Foreign vernacular is just soooo scarrrryyyy...

I cannot wait for the day that I can order a "short ********" at Taco Bell.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this thread's starting to piss me off now. I should have never made that first retort. Everyone just shut the **** up or take it to CE.

b

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poorly formed arguments with excessive rhetorical flourishes, regardless of the actual opinion.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Well, this thread's starting to piss me off now. I should have never made that first retort. Everyone just shut the **** up or take it to CE.

b

You're oppressing my freedom of speech. That pisses me off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads