• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At an open-air antiques/flea-market, yesterday:
DSC00904.jpg
Fifties Stowa, gilt brass case. Paid around $15, but it's going to cost me another $100 or so in repairs, which it really isn't worth, but I really like the look of it, so there it is...ack.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome find, LS!
fing02[1].gif

DuffAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
At an open-air antiques/flea-market, yesterday:

DSC00904.jpg

Fifties Stowa, gilt brass case. Paid around $15, but it's going to cost me another $100 or so in repairs, which it really isn't worth, but I really like the look of it, so there it is...ack.

really good looking watch. what will you have done to it?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DuffAnderson
Thanks! It's ticking away, and has kept time since yesterday afternoon, so hopefully a cleaning/oiling and various small repairs will do the trick as far as the movement's concerned. There's so little gold left on the brass case that I think I'll just have the last remnants of gold polished off, and just have a poished brass case. Then the crystal has to be changed, of course, and a strap. I'm thinking a strap in red antiqued leather.
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I like the look of it too. And I'm impressed you found it that inexpensively. When I've looked at watches at flea markets lately, the sellers always want $60 just because the watches are mechanical and old. No idea what they're selling, but they want a premium for it.
This seller had trays with literally hundreds of mid-to-low level watches, most of them in bad shape. He had a really nice gold Gruen Curvex, but he wanted far too much for it, considering the state it was in.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a pile of stuff yesterday...

A RLPL shirt, white with a thin black stripe for $7

A lovely blue blazer by John Stephen of London

A Brooks Brothers Golden fleece coat that was a touch short for me, which I listed in the for sale forum.

A pair of Ferragamo pumps and a camel hair car coat for the lady friend.

A couple of neckties.

A NOS safari coat, made in Kenya. Silly, but who knows, this is LA, maybe I'll wear it.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DuffAnderson
Just took it to my watch guy - the movement is ticking, and seemingly quite clean and tidy. I'll have to have a "return spring" (?) in the crown changed, along with the crystal, which isn't too bad. The dial<is fine, and won't need anything except a quick cleaning. I think I'll get away with paying under $100 for a working vintage watch, albeit of mediocre quality.

DuffAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Just took it to my watch guy - the movement is ticking, and seemingly quite clean and tidy. I'll have to have a "return spring" (?) in the crown changed, along with the crystal, which isn't too bad. The dial<is fine, and won't need anything except a quick cleaning. I think I'll get away with paying under $100 for a working vintage watch, albeit of mediocre quality.

awesome!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
awesome everything about is slick!

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a few ties this week. Left to right: 1) Robert Talbott repp, appears to be a British school tie as the Olde Cholmelians is an alumni group from a London prep school (odd they'd have an American made tie), 2) Polo printed silk and 3) Stefano Ricci. The Ricci is the most luxurious and beautiful, printed silk tie I have ever encountered. The thickness and feel are incredible. I can't wait to see the kind of knot it produces. Gotta get a better camera.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A trip to my favorite store's clearance center got me these all at 90% off :

Edun Black shorts Org $155, paid $15.50
Engineered Garments khaki shorts Orig. $155, paid $15.50
Loomstate khaki pants Orig. $148, paid $14.80
Ted Baker Linen shirt, Orig $125, paid $12.50
Rag and Bone white button down, Orig. $152, paid $15.20
Edun White button down Orig. $125, paid $12.50

They had a bunch of Hartford swimtrunks and a ton of Diesel, G-Star and a few Mason's shorts on sale for 90% off too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads