• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
I'm going to have to try to find how an overcoat size equates to its measurements.

Roughly: (chest measurement) - 6"= size. Thus if an overcoat measures 23" from pit to pit, double that for chest size (46), subtract 6 and you get a size 40. That way you're allowing room for a suit coat underneath.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan,
How much larger should the chest be than I would normally look for in a suit?
To wear with sweaters and suits underneath...???
I have to thrift me one, there is a 100% cashmere navy one.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Roughly: (chest measurement) - 6"= size. Thus if an overcoat measures 23" from pit to pit, double that for chest size (46), subtract 6 and you get a size 40. That way you're allowing room for a suit coat underneath.

You are a wealth of information. Thanks for saving me the research.

bearbones11

Reaction score
A view from the inside:

I manage a large-volume privately-owned thrift store. On a daily basis, I deal with shoplifters, tag-pullers and tag-switchers. There is a perception that since merchandise is donated, that it shoud be practically given away. This fails to take into account all the costs associated with running a business - payroll, overhead, etc. The "donations" are purchased from charities. The items we sell are NOT pure profit.

That said, the members of this forum seem to be honest folk in general, so I'm sure most of you sympathize with business owners trying to cut back on losses. My policies in dealing with people who want their bargains even cheaper (or free) are: Missing tags - if the pricer for that dept. is here, I will reprice the item - tags do fall off by accident, but we do learn quickly who are trying to get lower prices; Switched tags - must be reprocessed the next day. 3 or more in your selections, you are ejected from the store - this is theft as much as shoplifting is; Caught shoplifting - police called, no exceptions.

My employees are taught to be polite and helpful - which is one reason why I resent people trying to rip us off even more.

A note on pricing - I have knowledge of better brands and teach my pricers accordingly. A Brioni shirt in LN condition at 15 bucks is still 95% off original price. That said, cheap stuff is priced accordingly as well and I don't put out damaged goods.

I love my business, I love my customers - the honest ones, and any business owner or manager should remember to treat everyone with respect and give as much benefit of the doubt as possible without letting one's business be compromised.

Nashville

Reaction score
ok guys today is a good day to hit the thrift store, we need more pics of the great finds, I went yesterday after work but had no luck!!!

Raz

Reaction score
My first ever thrifting found a Tie Rack made in ITALY Silk tie for £1 also a
RAEL-BROOK tie for £1

A pair of Fire trap causal shoes from TK MAXX £15

Mr T

Reaction score
After leaving empty handed the past few weeks today I found a Navy Woolrich Pea Coat that fits me and a blue Pierre Cardin tie. The tie has a duck hunter motif with the hunter pointing his rifle towards the flying ducks. I have no idea if it was a good find but that tie made me smile and will go into the rotation immediately. The coat won't see use for a few more months. South Texas is slow to give up on summer.
confused.gif

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I think I'm giving up. All I come back with is itchy eyes and runny nose from flipping through all the utterly crappy suits.

Remember the line about "kissing a lot of frogs..."

sanrensho

Reaction score
Thrifting is all about persistence and timing. I used to go quite often, and sometimes wouldn't find anything. Other times, I'd find one or two really nice things. Now and then, I would have to make two trips back to the car. I think the most I spent at a thrift store (Goodwill) on one trip was about $500...all shirts, ties and suits. So hang in there.

BTW there are a lot of hot young women in thift stores too. So even if I don't find something, it's still pretty entertaining.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just got the pants back from the Abercrombie & Fitch suit I bought the other day at the Goodwill here in LA. Thankfully, they got them big enough for me. They're still a touch short, but I'd rather they be a bit short than have the lines that 50 years with the current cuffs would leave.

tweed1.jpg

tweed2.jpg

tweed3.jpg

tweed4.jpg

tweed5.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pics, I lack A) a steady hand and B) a clean mirror
smile.gif

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
Just got the pants back from the Abercrombie & Fitch suit I bought the other day at the Goodwill here in LA. Thankfully, they got them big enough for me. They're still a touch short, but I'd rather they be a bit short than have the lines that 50 years with the current cuffs would leave.

tweed1.jpg

tweed2.jpg

tweed3.jpg

tweed4.jpg

tweed5.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pics, I lack A) a steady hand and B) a clean mirror
smile.gif

Length looks great to me. Just looks like you're shooting for more of the Thom Browne no break thing. I have a lot of my pants hemmed for no break. Did I really just compare something to Thom Browne? ANyway...

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
Length looks great to me. Just looks like you're shooting for more of the Thom Browne no break thing. I have a lot of my pants hemmed for no break. Did I really just compare something to Thom Browne? ANyway...

Yeah, they don't look too short to me either, unless you're having to wear the trousers too low on your hips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads