• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

exercising on a BUDGET

Aiwass

Reaction score
anybody here not have the money or time for a gym membership so you exercise at home?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One budget option is public facilities.

In NYC, the Dept of Parks and Recreation has many gyms and pools around the city, most open year round. Annual membership is $75. I love it.

mbc

Reaction score
I have one pair of dumbbell handles with a collection of 2.5lb, 5lb and 10lb plates. I also have an exercise ball and a doorway pullup bar. Works for me... the dumbbell handles can go up to 65lb each for dumbbell chest presses (done on the exercise ball instead of a bench), bent over rows, etc. Haven't been to a gym in a few years.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep.

I have a bent bench bar and a dumbbell set with plate weights up as high as I need. Various free weights combined with normal exercises (crunches, pushups, etc) get me where I need to be.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend exercising at home... even going somewhere else just to exercise is better. I'm a personal trainer and I workout 5x/week, and I just couldn't workout at home. I mean, I can do pushups and abs randomly, but no way I could do a whole workout even if I had the equiptment. Just not the right place for me. If you think you're different, try getting a dynaband, and maybe a set of adjustable dumbells (a little spendy but $300 is worth it if you don't join a gym). Of course, you have to know how to work out to make sure of that.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I wouldn't recommend exercising at home... even going somewhere else just to exercise is better. I'm a personal trainer and I workout 5x/week, and I just couldn't workout at home. I mean, I can do pushups and abs randomly, but no way I could do

What makes you say that? Attitude? Along the same lines of why you don't do homework while on your bed?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Yeah, exactly why I'm about to go do paperwork/study at a coffee shop instead of in my apartment. Not the same for everybody, but it's huge for me.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I wouldn't recommend exercising at home... even going somewhere else just to exercise is better. I'm a personal trainer and I workout 5x/week, and I just couldn't workout at home. I mean, I can do pushups and abs randomly, but no way I could do a whole workout even if I had the equiptment. Just not the right place for me. If you think you're different, try getting a dynaband, and maybe a set of adjustable dumbells (a little spendy but $300 is worth it if you don't join a gym). Of course, you have to know how to work out to make sure of that.
Hearing a personal trainer recommend not excerising at home is like hearing my bartender recommend that I don't drink at home.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only thing i miss about my 1 month trial gym membership is access to a good sized pool. otherwise, my exercise consists of walking outdoors ~20 miles a week (ok, probably not possible in the wintertime for many) and Pilates matwork at home.

-Jeff

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Hearing a personal trainer recommend not excerising at home is like hearing my bartender recommend that I don't drink at home.

Haha, you don't have to go to a gym and you don't need somebody to help you workout if you don't need it. If you can mix your own drinks, be my guest. But I can't be in the right headspace at home.

kakemono

Reaction score
My cheap excersizing is Free Weights, Running, and lifting body weight.

Costed me $40 for the free weights off craigslist total.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Eason. I find it wayyyy easier to work out at a gym rather than at home. (And I'm not a personal trainer)

dapperdude

Reaction score
Luckily, there is an exercise room in my apartment, which I use only for aerobics (running on a treadmill, occasionally the stairmaster or bike).

My weight routine is accomplished in the comfort of my own apartment, and includes:

- Pull-ups and chin-ups, using a bar that fits over the bathroom door frame
- Pushups (regular, and "Fury," or "Hindu," pushups)
- Squats (no weights, just lower self to ground)
- Occasionlly, ab crunches and situps

I've gotten compliments on my upper body since starting to do the pushups and chin-ups/pull-ups religiously. I never spend more than a few minutes per day doing bodyweight exercises but it pays off and the convenience of being able to do this at home is one reason why I am able to stick with it. I feel this is much more efficient and effective than going to a gym.

dapperdude

Reaction score
I can see the point of view that having a separate place to work out makes it psychologically easier for some people. If I worked out for more than a few minutes at a time, this would be true, since I tend to get distracted by things like TV. But I like to work in chunks of effort here and there, so doing exercises at home makes sense for me.

kakemono

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kakemono
My cheap excersizing is Free Weights, Running, and lifting body weight.

Costed me $40 for the free weights off craigslist total.

oh, and I do Thrusters for that style of lifting that is 20 seconds full speed, 10 seconds rest... repeat 8 times. That destroys me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads