exercising on a BUDGET

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Aiwass, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Luckily, there is an exercise room in my apartment, which I use only for aerobics (running on a treadmill, occasionally the stairmaster or bike).

My weight routine is accomplished in the comfort of my own apartment, and includes:

- Pull-ups and chin-ups, using a bar that fits over the bathroom door frame
    - Pushups (regular, and "Fury," or "Hindu," pushups)
    - Squats (no weights, just lower self to ground)
    - Occasionlly, ab crunches and situps

I've gotten compliments on my upper body since starting to do the pushups and chin-ups/pull-ups religiously. I never spend more than a few minutes per day doing bodyweight exercises but it pays off and the convenience of being able to do this at home is one reason why I am able to stick with it. I feel this is much more efficient and effective than going to a gym.

Well it very well could be more efficient, but it's definitely not more effective. If you just have your body, and you really don't want to use any equipment (a dynaband is great for arm, leg, and rotator cuff muscle light workouts), consider doing plyometrics. You aren't going to work your lower body sufficiently just doing squats, but if you have a stable, low bench or something you could get a lot more out of your lower body workouts. Also consider squat-jump-thrusts (a burpie with a vertical jump at the end) performed plyometrically. There are tons of good body weight exercises for your chest, abs, and lower body if you need any suggestions.

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

do some burpees. 10 minutes, whole body hurts. Go back inside and have a lie down.

3. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Well it very well could be more efficient, but it's definitely not more effective. If you just have your body, and you really don't want to use any equipment (a dynaband is great for arm, leg, and rotator cuff muscle light workouts), consider doing plyometrics. You aren't going to work your lower body sufficiently just doing squats, but if you have a stable, low bench or something you could get a lot more out of your lower body workouts. Also consider squat-jump-thrusts (a burpie with a vertical jump at the end) performed plyometrically. There are tons of good body weight exercises for your chest, abs, and lower body if you need any suggestions.

You could always do one legged squats, if regular bodyweight squats are too easy. I'd recommend getting a pull-up bar, it can give a good back and bicep workout.

4. whacked

whacked Senior member

Well it very well could be more efficient, but it's definitely not more effective.
    It's neither. I should know as the gym at my school closes every once in a while, and I have to do nothing but bodyweight exercises. A sufficient full body routine should contain at least 150 pushups (with and without elevated leg rest), 200 bodyweight squats with situps and leglifts in between. Throw in 50+ pullups if you're lucky enough to have access to overhead bars. This workout, even when done with short rest, would still last upward of 30 minutes, or about the same as a gym session with a decent amount of medium-to-heavy weight olympic lifts. Obviously, I much prefer the latter.

There are tons of good body weight exercises for your chest, abs, and lower body if you need any suggestions.
    This is a good place to start:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=901853

5. whacked

whacked Senior member

^^ That being said, I have a lot of respect for people who can do certain advanced bodyweight exercises (planche pushups, one-arm pullups, handstand pushups etc.) for reps. [​IMG]

6. alan

alan Senior member

Home exercising is better for those who dont have the disciplin to go to gyms. I used to go to gyms for a couple of monthes, achieve great results, and wlays end up not going whenever time gets a bit tight, or school starts etc...

If you get a proper bench and some weights you can do a lot at home.

7. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

i can't work out at home. home is for sleeping, eating, screwing, chilling and making music--and i can't do any of those in the same room (except screwing and sleeping).

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I agree regarding the home/outside gym situation. I have a full gym at my house (cage, smith machine, bench, dumbbells and barbells) and still prefer to train at an outside gym. If nothing else, it's much easier to get a spotter, and I feel much more motivated in public.

9. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

I've done both. It really depends.

In the past I have sworn by what Eason says. Psychologically I think the act of making the trip to the gym can be very important. Once you are there, inevitably you'll find you work out for at least 45 min to an hour because you put in the effort to make the drive, pack the clothes, pay the membership, etc. Plus, (my brother always makes this point to me) inevitably a good gym has far more equipment that is professionally maintained than you would care to own and care for yourself.

That being said-- I am at a period right now where I cancelled my gym membership and swear by working out at home. For one thing I work pretty long hours and I just never made it to the gym before it closed at night. I have a nice road bike on a trainer that I use for cardio and a swiss ball and a small weight set that I use. It has been an adjustment from the gym, but the bottom line is that I am working out everyday, whereas if I didn't work out at home-- I wouldn't work out at all. Additionally, when I DO get home at a reasonable hour I would rather be out riding my bike, playing tennis, or doing some other activity that let's me enjoy the outdoors-- rather than moving from one building to another.

The downside here is that I am not sure that my "home gym" is much cheaper than going to the gym. my road bike is almost a grand and the trainer is another 200 bucks. Ad on the swiss ball, weight set, etc. and we're talking another 100-200 bucks. You obviously wouldn't need all this equipment, but unless you are willing to look at this as an alternative to paying $50 a month (or whatever) it will likely seem a bit high.

Certainly there are other activities like running that are basically free- but you need to make the call here. I don't like running in excess much any more because old football injuries and tendonitis have just made it a painful experience.

Thus, my take is that you need to look at your situation. Can you afford to put down a couple hundred bucks on a basic home gym setup? It all depends on what you need. You could probably just run your ass off outside and get some burpees etc for a relatively low price.

I would also suggest thinking about your movitation. I made a conscious decision to by a road bike because I was tired of working out at the gym and I was out of shape. I wanted to be out doing a sport that I had fun with and was interested in. The investment paid off in spades because not only am I working out and in shape-- I am totally pysched about getting home and riding my bike. When my work schedule started interfering with cycling, I bought the trainer. After a month or two of not getting home often enough to take a ride I decided spending a couple hundred bucks on a trainer for the bike was worth it. Same for the weights and the swiss ball.

Personally, I would consider going back to the gym at some point, but right now it's a waste of money for me. I'm not available or interested in going to the gym given my schedule. Now granted, I am sure some contrarian could say I should just get up earlier, or fit in the gym at lunch, etc. It's not for me right now. My little home set up makes me happy and the bottom line is that I am working out and in shape and most importantly I am happy and enthusiastic about it. If at a certain point I decide that my little home setup is inhibiting my training somehow-- then I'll opt for a gym membership again.

Good luck and keep coming back to SF for advice, because the guys are a great resource.

10. dapperdude

dapperdude Senior member

Pushing Yourself to Power, John Peterson, is a good book.

11. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

anybody here not have the money or time for a gym membership so you exercise at home?

Yes, I don't have the time nor the money..... I usaly work out before bed, but that does keep me up a little longer.

[​IMG]

I bought a pair of dumbells that you can add wieghts to and bought a couple of weights to put on it from the sports authority.

Cost: $35 + $5 for the extra weights.

[​IMG]

Took an "GymnasticBall made in Italy" from a family member who has had it since the early 90's (and it still has never lost air?), AKA Swiss ball.

Cost: Free

[​IMG]

Bought a workout book on dumbells.

Cost: $20 (includes tax)

[​IMG]

I do situps and push up in the same room also!
    I allso watch videos on the internet about working out that are free on Youtube and other various video sites:

Cost: Free

[​IMG]

Total Cost: $60

And its a one time fee. And it works well. Except now im needing a pull-up bar.

[​IMG]

12. Mandesign

Mandesign New Member

Well im in the Army and i can tell you a ton of good exercises that you can do anywhere and you dont need anything but your body. You wont bulk up obviously, but you will get very toned and defined. All these exercises are wonderful for a base (starting point before doing serious lifting)

1. Push ups - Yeah its obvious but it works. Start out doing sets of 10 with a 10 second break in between. Do at least 5 sets. Make sure when you are doing the pushups that when you go down your arms go below the 90 degree mark. Thats where the most work will happen. After the first week you can go up to sets of 20. Keep going.

2. Wide arm/close arm push ups- After your first week or so vary each set. Normal, wide, close. Doing 10 with a 10 second break inbetween.

3. Over head hand clap- arms extended straight out from the shoulders. Clap them over head. Return to starting position. Really easy workout. You have to do a lot of reps to make it burn but after push ups and such it is more effective.

4. Crunches- laying on your back. Feet elevated with bent knees at 90 degrees. Dont cross legs. same motion as a sit up. Try and make sure your crunching as far as possible. Eventually youll almost be able to sit straight up even crunched.

5. butterfly kick- lay on back. Tuck chin to chest. Hands in small of back. Legs straight out in front of you 6 inches off the ground. Kick like you are swimming. Doesnt take long to feel this burn.

if you want anymore just drop me a PM or respond in here. I have tons.

13. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

1. Push ups - Yeah its obvious but it works. Start out doing sets of 10 with a 10 second break in between. Do at least 5 sets. Make sure when you are doing the pushups that when you go down your arms go below the 90 degree mark. Thats where the most work will happen. After the first week you can go up to sets of 20. Keep going.

Welcome! But man oh man have you got a long way to go [​IMG] I never maxed pushups until my XO had us do a set of 50, ten seconds, 45, ten seconds, down to 10. Increase by five every week. With body armor.

Flutter kicks are great.

Walking lunges are much more effective than bodyweight squats.

Fill a backpack with heavy stuff to add resistance.

I should take my own advice [​IMG]

14. adversity04

adversity04 Senior member

Some more body weight exercises:
    L-Sits
    Mountain Climbers or whatever the hell they're called
    +1 on the burpees and thrusters
    To make the pushups harder elevate your feet

15. Aiwass

Aiwass Senior member

Luckily, there is an exercise room in my apartment, which I use only for aerobics (running on a treadmill, occasionally the stairmaster or bike).

My weight routine is accomplished in the comfort of my own apartment, and includes:

- Pull-ups and chin-ups, using a bar that fits over the bathroom door frame
    - Pushups (regular, and "Fury," or "Hindu," pushups)
    - Squats (no weights, just lower self to ground)
    - Occasionlly, ab crunches and situps

I've gotten compliments on my upper body since starting to do the pushups and chin-ups/pull-ups religiously. I never spend more than a few minutes per day doing bodyweight exercises but it pays off and the convenience of being able to do this at home is one reason why I am able to stick with it. I feel this is much more efficient and effective than going to a gym.

whats your regimen?