• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your "piece?"

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
What single article of clothing that you own represents you the most and why? I'm thinking along the lines of an piece that not only you identify with, but that if a stranger found this piece he would get the closest idea of what kind of persona/habits/etc. belong to you. I figured this would be interesting for those with massive closets and those with constantly-updated wardrobes, as well as those who stick with what they know and love.

I was torn between a few pieces, including a 1984 Dodgers/Yankees World Series tee that's beat to hell, but I ended up with my RRL's. While they haven't been around as long as other pieces, there's a lot to them. There's a hole and some blood from a fight, wear marks from a pocket knife I always carry, and a guitar pick with some extra cash in the coin pocket. I think I just outted myself as an eagle scout.

What's your piece and why?

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
An old pair of Abercrombie jeans I got like Freshman year of College in Tempe. They bring back a lot of memories of ASU cuz the store was right on Mill St. near the school and the regular hangouts (and Jack In the Box). I think I've probably worn these jeans 500 times over an over 7 year period and have survived many attempts to replace them.
I still wear the jeans several times a month. They were once a dark/medium wash but now have been deprived of most of their color from over-wearing and too many trips through bad laundry machines. I think the fading was helped along by some Oxy-clean (DON'T use this to remove stains trust me) but in this case it actually worked out well because I now love the color. They also have a 3 inch tear up the left outseam but I don't care cuz they're my favorite. They have two holes in the front that for the time being aren't getting worse and one hole in the back left pocket that's growing and now I have to place my wallet on the right side. The hems are pretty frayed as well. I also love them because they are so faded they look good with almost anything.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of brown side-zip ankle boots that are completely destroyed, have had the lining cut out of them, and have bits of leather that have been stripped off entirely. They have elicited "I really like your distressed boots, where did you buy them?" type comments. They were bought way too small from a thrift store and were made to fit through masochism and blood.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
One of my UK range Ben Sherman buttondowns

-you could accurately guess my music taste just by seeing the shirt, which would lead to having a good idea what kind of films I like, the people I hang out with, maybe my haircut, even what I drive, and knowing all that, an insight into my personality and demeanor

-upon closer inspection, seeing that it's not a US range shirt, you could correctly assume that I don't just get whatever's on the rack and that a small amount of effort went into finding and getting this shirt. For someone ITK, the details of the UK shirt are more "authentic" than the US shirts which says a lot in itself

-this is my daily go-to shirt, esp in the summer when it's too warm to layer or wear more interesting combos. It goes well with jeans or trousers...With boots, oxfords, or trainers. Until the weather gets cooler, this is the shirt I wear 75% of the time during the week to work.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to say, but I would say my current pair of 5EP Low down bootcut jeans.

The frequency of my jeans purchases is probably best described as a pulse. In a month, I will buy a few pairs, and then there will be a lull, so from the condition of my latest 5EPs, you can usually tell how deep into the rotation I have gone. They are nearly always in regular rotation, unlike any other pair (which fall in and out of favor.)

I tend to DIY my jeans. reinforcing areas they are likely to wear and tear, so you know where I wear and tear. Also, from the details of the DIY (choosing the right thread color and thickess,) you can see my obsessive nature.

From the wear on the jeans you can also tell my gait, and the fit of my jeans, and also that I tend to hook my thumb into my waistband.

The general style of the jeans also fits my personal style - very relaxed, quality pieces that have been banged around a lot (I have a feeling the SoCal might faint if he saw what I've put some of my Jil Sander pieces through.) If you like it, you might call it "well-travelled." I guess maybe it's the old trad in me.

Jermaine

Reaction score
It's my newest purchase, so maybe that's why I'm picking it but...

April 77 Thunder Neon Zebra

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noah custom mole skin jacket. On the outside it is basic and low key, but when you look inside their is a lot of pockets, complexity and intricate detail

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would have to be my brown Vanson Cafe Racer leather jacket. I bought it the last time I was in LA which was about 8 years ago. I remember thinking then how nothing ever fit me so well and how robust the leather was. Its now gotten quite soft but I can still feel how well it sits on my shoulders, the feeling of something heavy enough to protect you. The green tartan plaid lining is now frayed at the edges and have holes in the right hip area, right where my bag rubbed against my body when I used to carry messengers bags. I think this piece really says quite a lot about me: the colour, the texture, the wear and tear. I can't wait to wear it again.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
A pair of beat-up Vasque Sundowner hiking boots. Duct tape on the frayed parts of the laces, layers upon layers of stains. I wore these boots on many hikes and in my old job of paddlefish research and used them to hike from Georgia (Springer) to Virginia (just north of White Top), from North Dakota to Wyoming, and from one end of Bourbon Street to the other for Mardi Gras. Still (mostly) waterproof and reasonably supportive. I love them.

pinoy

Reaction score
Interesting topic, Whodini. I thought about this for awhile before coming up with my answer.

I'd have to go with an Ann Demeulemeester hooded coat I picked up in Vancouver this past Christmas. It best represents me because..

1. At first glance it looks like a simple piece you can pick up at H&M or Gap. However, upon closer inspection you notice all the amazing details like dropped pockets, buttoned hood, double zips, ramie/wool fabric, etc.

2. A large part of my style relies on outerwear.

3. Its black– it never goes out of style. This is what I aim for when I buy a piece of clothing– timelessness.

4. I've worn while traveling through 5 countries (Winter in Canada and the United States in January and February, and winter in South America in June and July), and its held up incredibly well. I really try to go the extra mile to take care of it.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
My old cafe racer motorcycle jacket. Just by looking at it, you'd be able to tell I was in a terrible crash and died. Very sad.

Reaction score
As much as i want to say my Eternal 811s (denim pants), but my Alain Mikli eyeglasses are worn more frequently and I guess that's what pops out most when you see my person (me).

My glasses identify me as a nerd, I guess. A nerd interested in design and/or craft.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
As much as i want to say my Eternal 811s (denim pants), but my Alain Mikli eyeglasses are worn more frequently and I guess that's what pops out most when you see my person (me). My glasses identify me as a nerd, I guess. A nerd interested in design and/or craft.
It's good to see this nerd back on the Style Forvm, sir.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Leather jacket that my father, the young rebel, was wearing when he was imprisoned for political reasons, thankfully for a short stretch, during the 70s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads