• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I happen to enjoy SoCal's posts because he brings something to the table that nobody else does. I like this board b/c it's not a bunch of sheep doing the same **** but instead comprised of individuals embodying their individualism. I don't want to dress like GS, Rye, Sauce or SoCal but I can respect what they do and I'm sure they don't care to dress like me (though I don't really post my fits). I also enjoy the contributions made in the recent purchases thread, I think everyone appreciates the thought and substance of what we spend our cash on for the most part. I love denim but I love other pants as well, the beauty is that we have access to so much variety I try to take advantage. I look at style as an artform, something that can't be contrived and this thread is a great opportunity to develop one's style over time so everyone's input is more than welcome.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Oh sweet child rest your little head...the tux shirt is navy!

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Oh sweet child rest your little head...the tux shirt is navy!
The Rrrrrrrrrrrules say white, white white, so there! (OK, maybe cream.)
blush.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Did you just roll the R in rules to make it sound more pretentious?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
The Rrrrrrrrrrrules say white, white white, so there!

(OK, maybe cream.)
blush.gif

So...my white linen with faded black stripe one might give you a heartattack.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
So...my white linen with faded black stripe one might give you a heartattack.
Not on you - on me, maybe a slight rash. I freely recognise other people's right to dress how the hell they want, you know.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Whodini, are we really pretending Figure 8 is one of elliott's best 5 albums let alone the best? There are a few winners, but hell, i even prefer the New Moon compilation that just came out. Most of the tracks are just as good as the album stuff from self titled and either/or. Carry on, though.
You clearly are not from LA and perhaps that's why you prefer his older non-Dreamworks albums. "Fig 8" was about getting away from his Portland days and really focusing inward. It was far more electic with 60s influences and darker than anything he'd done previously. And man, you think New Moon is an album? I barely consider "Basement" an album as it is.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... now I don't know whether I ought to criticize outfits more often or less. In any case, I think that SoCal does a great job with most of his outfits. I like his more formal stuff moreso than his casual stuff, but that is to be expected. I find that he is considerably more experimental with his tailored clothing, especially with color and pattern, and it makes those outfits more visually captivating.

This may be tangential, but I remember going to what was East Germany on foraging trips back in about 1999 and 2000. I used to hit up Jil Sander outlets for stuff from the first few years of mens collections, Roberto Menichetti's earliest stuff for the Jil Sander Line. There were always lots of Jil Sander raw jeans, usually quite tapered. This was right before or during the denim boom that gave us all the brands we have now, and people were apparently still recovering from the 80's, so Helmut Lang classic fit and APC "old" standard were really the only slim tapered "fashion" jeans around, for the most part.

I think that there was good reason that Helmut Lang jeans were really popular, and Jil Sander, not so much. HL always "got" jeans. His military and workwear influences made jeans a very natural part of his lines, and I think that his minimalist versions of the canonical Type I and Type III denim jackets are still classics. On the other hand, the Jil Sander line never had denim in its blood. It had sports gear. Her use of the Puma King certainly showed that. But everything about her stuff was clean, clean, clean, and she never really got the rough and tumble of denim, imho. Of course, this is just my opinion. But I am not the only person to hold it.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Hmmm... now I don't know whether I ought to criticize outfits more often or less.

More. This forum is about getting AND giving advice, constructive criticism, adulation, sizing down two, and possible ****** Philly meets (taken to PM for the fiancee, Sauce.) Ultimately that advice shouldn't be personal and used at the victim's, uh, poster's discretion.

I'd like to think that the majority of us who post do so with the aforementioned in mind. Perhaps J can work up a popup when you post a WAYWN shot in which you'd have to answer "Do you have fairly thick skin for this?" in order to submit.

Really people, fire away and I'll return the favor (taken to PM again, Sauce); otherwise this place will quickly become stale, useless, and boring like 99% of the world.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
In any case, I think that SoCal does a great job with most of his outfits. I like his more formal stuff moreso than his casual stuff, but that is to be expected. I find that he is considerably more experimental with his tailored clothing, especially with color and pattern, and it makes those outfits more visually captivating.

The reason why it's harder to be stylish in S&D than semi-MC is that there are many more choices and you're not limited to a specific blueprint ie trousers, button up and jacket. I don't think it's hard at all to put nice fits together because you're confined to certain fixed factors but in S&D there are no rules there's much more creativity involved with the various types of pants, jeans, cardigans, sweaters, jackets, avant garde **** etc. There are no restrictions and it's those that force you to become a clone. Plus streetwear is all about breaking the rules, which are sometimes made to be broken and that is why those that adhere to them never develop a style all their own.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never had a problem that the jeans were Jil Sander. I actually like those jeans. i just didnt think the outfit was that great. But nonetheless you still bring some of rthe best outfits to the forum

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A whole bunch of pics from today:

This afternoon casual:

Dries
SDA
Mantellassi

71xf1.jpg

Tonight, dinner meeting:

Charvet
Brioni
Chester Barrie
Mantellassi

72li6.jpg

Bonus picture of the Belvest I just got from bslo... needs sleeve lengthening but pretty decent fit OTR.

73df0.jpg

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
I never had a problem that the jeans were Jil Sander. I actually like those jeans. i just didnt think the outfit was that great. But nonetheless you still bring some of rthe best outfits to the forum

I also like to add that Raf Simons is the ******* man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads