• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ventless Jackets

Reaction score
I keep seeing ventless jackets everywhere (or, more specifically, the San Antonio airport and the Nevada Legislature). I always thought they were more of an 80s thing. Are they suddenly back in fashion?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think they ever went out of "fashion" anymore than a cap toe shoe goes out of fashion. I bought a Canali suit last year with a ventless jacket and it looks great. Some features of clothing are timeless and do not go in and out of fashion. Vents or no vents are one of those features IMO. Don't forget, the "vented" jacket is a relatively recent invention designed to facilitate horseback riding, and if you watch older (yes, pre-80s movies) black & white movies, you will probably notice that all of those really dashing movie stars wore ventless jackets.

That said, I do agree the "trend" right now is to side-vented jackets.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ventless is evil

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own ventless jackets from the past several decades. And, from about two years ago. They fit me best. I prefer them.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Don't forget, the "vented" jacket is a relatively recent invention designed to facilitate horseback riding

rolleyes.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don`t understand all the negative reaction to ventless jackets on this forum lately. I thought you guys didn`t follow trends or fashion anyway.
laugh.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like double breasted ventless a lot and single breasted ventless not at all.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Ventless is evil

Mmmmm. That explains the disembodied voice that told me to close up the vents on some of my single-vent jackets.

On the other hand, the jackets look so much slimmer now. Ya gotta admit, evil has worn the better outfits.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonnyunpleasant
the San Antonio airport and the Nevada Legislature

I, too, take my style cues from these well known avatars of cutting edge hipness.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonnyunpleasant
I keep seeing ventless jackets everywhere (or, more specifically, the San Antonio airport and the Nevada Legislature). I always thought they were more of an 80s thing. Are they suddenly back in fashion?

Fashion??

For me personally I never have and never will wear ventless jackets.... For me, they just don't have 'The Look'....

Starguitar

Reaction score
It's more of a functional thing. A vented jacket just moves better and is more accomodating instead of bunching up all over the place if it's buttoned up.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always like ventless jackets. They look more clean and stylish (tuxedo like) as oppose to single vented that look more casual. Double-vented jackets are absolutely hideous invention. It looks to me like a big oversized flap designed to conceal even larger derier. Double vent never drapes well and always sticks out on the sides of the jacket thus making it appear wider, as if a wearer had a bird's tail.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Starguitar
It's more of a functional thing. A vented jacket just moves better and is more accomodating instead of bunching up all over the place if it's buttoned up.

If your jacket bunches up, it doesn't fit. Don't blame vents.

I think double vents look better when you walk but no-vents look better when you are standing still.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
north202.jpg

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your jacket bunches up, it doesn't fit. Don't blame vents.

I think double vents look better when you walk but no-vents look better when you are standing still.
The ventless jacket looks fantastic from the front, until you sit on it and it becomes wrinkled. Plus, if you have any backside, it doesn't lay well. I have a few and love them, but find side vents work better for me. But I'd never argue with Cary Grant's sartorial choices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads