• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing scratches from kitchen countertop

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a matte black kitchen countertop that I believe is laminate. I made the mistake of trying to get rid of food stains on the countertop using a mild abrasive cleaner, and now the countertop has unsightly scratches. I understand that it is almost impossible to remove scratches from laminate, but is there anything I can do to hide them? The scratches appear to be surface scratches, not anything deep like knife gouges. Thanks.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure. What about the product that fills in scratches, on automobiles? I still have some: The Color Treatment. It did a fantastic job, filling in a couple small scrapes I had on my bumper. You cannot tell they were there. Just dab a little bit on a cloth. Rub into the affected area. Check your local Auto Zone. Black is always available.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is actually a "dressing" available for laminate counter tops which will polish the surface. It won't fill in the cuts, but the sheen will return. Should be able to find it at good hardware stores or home improvement big-boxes. I don't recall the brand name; and the ex got mine in the divorce!

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I have a matte black kitchen countertop that I believe is laminate. I made the mistake of trying to get rid of food stains on the countertop using a mild abrasive cleaner, and now the countertop has unsightly scratches. I understand that it is almost impossible to remove scratches from laminate, but is there anything I can do to hide them? The scratches appear to be surface scratches, not anything deep like knife gouges. Thanks.

Just keep telling yourself it adds character. That's what we do...
smile.gif

Andrie

Reaction score
If that's a real laminate, whether the scratch is minimal or deeper into the surface, the damage is repairable. Here's what to do: 1. Dampen a non-abrasive hand towel with bleach and wipe down the laminate countertop, removing any dirt or debris that has accumulated. Air-dry the counter. 2. Apply some car wax on a dry hand towel. 3. Rub the car wax into the scratch using a the non-abrasive hand towel and a circular motion with your hands. 4. Allow the wax to sit for 10 minutes. 5. Remove the wax from the countertop by buffing it off using a non-abrasive hand towel. The scratch should be gone. Goodluck!
biggrin.gif

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
If it is super light, I've had pretty good luck just using pledge furniture wax and a paper towel.

GraniteCounter

Reaction score
wax is good, there are also available scratch eraser stick available in the marketing. I had the same issue in my kitchen made by Granite Countertops , I was very anxious since guest are coming in, good thing got that scratch eraser stick..

anthonparker53

Reaction score
I do have a well-maintained Granite Countertop. I only use all-purpose cleaner sometimes dishwashing liquid since its very easy to clean. Since my mother is having problems with removing stain in her laminate coutertop, I suggest the same thing. I also learned that baking soda can help in removing stains in the surface. Then again, I still recommend that you call your provider to provide you the best options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads