Removing scratches from kitchen countertop

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Ambulance Chaser, May 21, 2007.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I have a matte black kitchen countertop that I believe is laminate. I made the mistake of trying to get rid of food stains on the countertop using a mild abrasive cleaner, and now the countertop has unsightly scratches. I understand that it is almost impossible to remove scratches from laminate, but is there anything I can do to hide them? The scratches appear to be surface scratches, not anything deep like knife gouges. Thanks.

2. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Not sure. What about the product that fills in scratches, on automobiles? I still have some: The Color Treatment. It did a fantastic job, filling in a couple small scrapes I had on my bumper. You cannot tell they were there. Just dab a little bit on a cloth. Rub into the affected area. Check your local Auto Zone. Black is always available.

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    There is actually a "dressing" available for laminate counter tops which will polish the surface. It won't fill in the cuts, but the sheen will return. Should be able to find it at good hardware stores or home improvement big-boxes. I don't recall the brand name; and the ex got mine in the divorce!

4. briancl

briancl Senior member

I have a matte black kitchen countertop that I believe is laminate. I made the mistake of trying to get rid of food stains on the countertop using a mild abrasive cleaner, and now the countertop has unsightly scratches. I understand that it is almost impossible to remove scratches from laminate, but is there anything I can do to hide them? The scratches appear to be surface scratches, not anything deep like knife gouges. Thanks.

Just keep telling yourself it adds character. That's what we do... [​IMG]

5. Andrie

Andrie New Member

If that's a real laminate, whether the scratch is minimal or deeper into the surface, the damage is repairable. Here's what to do: 1. Dampen a non-abrasive hand towel with bleach and wipe down the laminate countertop, removing any dirt or debris that has accumulated. Air-dry the counter. 2. Apply some car wax on a dry hand towel. 3. Rub the car wax into the scratch using a the non-abrasive hand towel and a circular motion with your hands. 4. Allow the wax to sit for 10 minutes. 5. Remove the wax from the countertop by buffing it off using a non-abrasive hand towel. The scratch should be gone. Goodluck! [​IMG]

6. WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt Senior member

If it is super light, I've had pretty good luck just using pledge furniture wax and a paper towel.

7. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

This thread is 4 years old. I doubt its still a big problem.

8. Andrie

Andrie New Member

Oh yeah.. I didn't notice it. [​IMG]

9. GraniteCounter

GraniteCounter New Member

wax is good, there are also available scratch eraser stick available in the marketing. I had the same issue in my kitchen made by Granite Countertops , I was very anxious since guest are coming in, good thing got that scratch eraser stick..

10. anthonparker53

anthonparker53 New Member

I do have a well-maintained Granite Countertop. I only use all-purpose cleaner sometimes dishwashing liquid since its very easy to clean. Since my mother is having problems with removing stain in her laminate coutertop, I suggest the same thing. I also learned that baking soda can help in removing stains in the surface. Then again, I still recommend that you call your provider to provide you the best options.