• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sprezzatura: The Essentials and anything else you want to know/comment

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sprezzatura is wearing your clothes, rather than letting them wear you.

Sprezzatura is what separates clothes worn by a real person from those on a mannequin or a runway model.

The list (plus photos), I take it, was not meant to enumerate what exhibiting sprezzatura would entail, but rather to give examples of how, in some contexts, it may manifest.

If appropriate, a relaxed and stylish man may remove his tie and put it away. Scott Schuman notes Fabio Borrelli (I think) doing this, and it instantly changing the image that he projected.

As for the rest, pocket squares and whatnot, I think the message is not to be too precise or fastidious.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading that list, it sounds like sprezzatura is Italian for "trying too hard."

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it has been mentioned already (have not read all posts) but isn't this exercise by sheer definition not what it aspires to? I mean how can you be nonchalant by calculating how to appear nonchalant
confused.gif
?

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
After reading that list, it sounds like sprezzatura is Italian for "trying too hard."
Or, "Internet forum creates OCD"

kshah

Reaction score
After attempting to teach a few friends about clothing, I let them venture on their own, and they just couldn't understand complementing shirts, ties, suits, and shoes, nor how to carry oneself. I think you just have it or you don't.

A good eye can't be taught. Elegance can't either.

I once read, spezzataura is defined as, "the art of concealing the art."

I think things like confidence and drape achieve this.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
I don't know it seems kind of overdoing it in the overcoat.

I ammend this. White linen only anything else is overdoing it.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Maybe it has been mentioned already (have not read all posts) but isn't this exercise by sheer definition not what it aspires to? I mean how can you be nonchalant by calculating how to appear nonchalant
confused.gif
?

As I sorta tried to say in my last post, I don't think the purpose of the article, or this discussion, is to prescribe a list of things to follow, but rather to provide examples to better illustrate what the word and concept means, and perhaps help people get into the mindset.

(Not directed at anyone in particular) It's all well and good to show how clever we are by saying "you can't study how to look unstudied", but it doesn't add a lot to the discussion....

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
(Not directed at anyone in particular) It's all well and good to show how clever we are by saying "you can't study how to look unstudied", but it doesn't add a lot to the discussion....
I think of it as a koan.
bigstar[1].gif

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Would that be... Flussertura?

Rough...but true.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Some internal inconsistencies.

1. Taking tie off and putting in breast pocket- crushing your pocket square.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh

Well if it pulls wool like that I'm going to have to start trying it out.

neyus

Reaction score
I feel that sprezzatura is a certain kind of flair to dress...or a certain x factor. I dont think it should be studied or needs to be. I think it is something that should come naturally. I dont think I display it on occassions, but do it rather subconsciously. I think its about feeling comfortable in your clothes.

I dont think the list is their to be followed. There are no hard and fast rules to this subject.

I have noticed, however, that I like it. I do notice certain people exhibiting sprezzatura and I feel drawn towards the look. There is a fair amount of warmth in it and accessibility. Well there is for me.

Being deliberate about it is definitely stupid and thats not the point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics