• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Songs that make you cry

calvin1663

Reaction score
coldplay's fix you (a live version I have is the most amazing song I've ever heard)
arctic monkey's 505
coldplay's amsterdam

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unchained melody by the righteous brothers

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Björk's Joga, especially from her Live at the Royal Opera House DVD, it's just achingly beautiful.
Coltrane's Alabama
Weather Report's Cannonball

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"I've Never Been to Me" by Charlene

Oh, I've been to Niece and the Isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht
I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got
I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see
I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

Mike

Reaction score
"Lover Man" by Charlie Parker. He was going through withdrawls from heroin while he recorded it, and got so massively drunk that a couple of guys had to hold him up to the microphone so he could play. He pours his heart and soul into it.

"Hurt" done by Johnny Cash. Great song to begin, made even better by Cash. I listened to it a lot after my grandpa and my uncle died.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike
"Lover Man" by Charlie Parker. He was going through withdrawls from heroin while he recorded it, and got so massively drunk that a couple of guys had to hold him up to the microphone so he could play. He pours his heart and soul into it.

It's never driven me to tears that I can recall, but Just Friends always stuns me speechless for the first 30 seconds or so from that opening riff. It just blows me away every time.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
... "Hurt" done by Johnny Cash. Great song to begin, made even better by Cash...
+1 Pachelbel's Canon, Barber's Adagio for Strings. Romeo and Juliet by Dre Straits I don't know that any of these songs make me cry, but they certainly put me in the mind to drink and stare into my glass.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Linda Ronstadt's "Long Long Time" can mess me up on occasion, as can the last verse of "Danny Boy"

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one has made me cry in the past:

"For crying out loud", Lloyd Cole

These have made me emotional:

"Como te extraño mi amor", by Cafe Tacuba.
"Entre Amos et Amsterdam", Les Innocents
"L'autre Finistère", Les Innocents
"Les vieux", Jacques Brel
"Wie 'ne blaue Ballon", BAP
"Do jeht ming Frau", BAP

And others.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
helpless is awesome. so is wooden ships. helplessly hoping is better than both.
Wooden Ships is powerful, but yeah, Helplessly Hoping is better. The first time I heard that live (CSN in 2003 or '04) I almost cried. ******* beautiful. Stephen Stills is such a good songwriter.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Holy ****, he was sloshed while playing this? I wish I could do that.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Don't go away and Wonderwall by Oasis have brought me to tears. I have never cried to True by Spandau ballet, but it does almost bring me to tears and has a special place in my heart. I once listened tot hat song for over 4 hours straight.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
I have never cried to True by Spandau ballet, but it does almost bring me to tears and has a special place in my heart. I once listened tot hat song for over 4 hours straight.
Do you mean straight, as in not f'd up? Or straight as in consecutively? Two entirely different things. And I need to know before I form an opinion of you.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Rising - Bruce Springsteen

Pretty Angry - Blues Traveler

Not that I cry during songs, but if I WERE to cry during songs, those two would do it to me...or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads