• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
question for you guys - a long long time ago, I had a simple canon 35 mm manual camera - you needed to focus, you needed to set the shutter speed and aperature. I learned how to take pictures on that. I cna't, however, remember what the camera was called.

I'd like to get something like that again - specifically for taking a few still life pictures and pictures of some scenery, sort of artsy type pictures. I want to spend as little as possible, and, considering that I am talking about obsolete technolgoy, I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to.

any suggestions?

You can buy digital all-in-one cameras (not SLR) that will allow you to play with all of those settings. To a degree, I think. Mine (a Kodak something or other) has a Manual setting--but I think there are limits on some of the settings. So if the aperture is too far open it won't let you minimize the shutter speed too. I think. But I'm not camera expert.

And mine wasn' t too expensive (less than $300 I know). Just fyi.

bob

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
OntheSun-DrenchedSands057.jpg

OntheSun-DrenchedSands032.jpg

BeirutandIstanbul2007223.jpg

BeirutandIstanbul2007507.jpg

OldCairo-25thJanuary035.jpg

BeirutandIstanbul2007267.jpg

Mostly from my trips in the Middle East. I wish I knew more about digital editing - I feel like these could look a lot better if I knew more than plug and upload!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
question for you guys - a long long time ago, I had a simple canon 35 mm manual camera - you needed to focus, you needed to set the shutter speed and aperature. I learned how to take pictures on that. I cna't, however, remember what the camera was called. I'd like to get something like that again - specifically for taking a few still life pictures and pictures of some scenery, sort of artsy type pictures. I want to spend as little as possible, and, considering that I am talking about obsolete technolgoy, I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to. any suggestions?
That sounds like a simple manual SLR. Something, perhaps, like this:
1976_ae1.jpg
Manual SLRs--aside from the vintage higher-end ones--are very cheap now due to the fact that they were made in abundance, and also decreased demand. Sometimes a complete set can be had for $200. Otherwise, it could be a (Canon) rangefinder, which are a bit more costly. The rangefinders usually don't have a built-in meter.
2630806-sm.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
That sounds like a simple manual SLR. Something, perhaps, like this:

1976_ae1.jpg

Manual SLRs--aside from the vintage higher-end ones--are very cheap now due to the fact that they were made in abundance and decreased demand. Sometimes a complete set can be had for $200.

Otherwise, it could be a (Canon) rangefinder, which are a bit more costly. The rangefinders usually don't have a built-in meter.

2630806-sm.jpg

thanks - I think that the AE-1 is what I was thinking about.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
You can buy digital all-in-one cameras (not SLR) that will allow you to play with all of those settings. To a degree, I think. Mine (a Kodak something or other) has a Manual setting--but I think there are limits on some of the settings. So if the aperture is too far open it won't let you minimize the shutter speed too. I think. But I'm not camera expert.

And mine wasn' t too expensive (less than $300 I know). Just fyi.

bob

thanks - I have a digital camera, I should have clarified Iwant to get a film camera now, and I was hoping to get something real cheap on ebay.

I want to take a series of pictures of local fruit and vegitable markets for my dinning room, and blow them up to about 18 X 24 inches. so I wanted to do this with real film as opposed to digital. and, since the whole reason behind this is for a set f maybe 10 pictures, I want this to be cheap.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just have an olympus e-300. I think I got the kit for $600 over a year ago, so it should be almost half now. Both kit lens are very nice.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Forgive my amateurish skills:

Oregon, 2006

p1000222ka8.jpg

Shillong, India, 2007

p1030619gw8.jpg

p1030628jp0.jpg

Bangalore, 2007

p1030729lb8.jpg

Hyderabad, 2006

p1010641js7.jpg

p1020120xf1.jpg

p1020164of4.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Went up to Newcastle Golf Course and took this pic today after work. Came home and tweaked it a bit. It is desktop sized if you so desire... Enjoy!

And a few more smaller ones:

These two are from the 18 hole mini-golf course. Thats right, 18 holes of mini-golf at the most prestigious golf club in the northwest.

Right after these, I was kindly "reminded" that the course is for "members only". I wish I'd had a Members Only jacket on. I would have pointed to it and told them that I was a member.

fortune

Reaction score
JetBlast, I really really love your photos from the airport. I've always had a major interest in aviation much like your self and love seeing anything relating to it. We used to go to the airport over here (PDX), and along the river that the airport sits next to there's a long stretch of road that runs along side the runways and we'd go and pull off where they allowed people and sit for hours and just watch planes take off and land. Keep posting 'em man, I love it!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks - I have a digital camera, I should have clarified Iwant to get a film camera now, and I was hoping to get something real cheap on ebay.

I want to take a series of pictures of local fruit and vegitable markets for my dinning room, and blow them up to about 18 X 24 inches. so I wanted to do this with real film as opposed to digital. and, since the whole reason behind this is for a set f maybe 10 pictures, I want this to be cheap.

Ah, okay. We have the same thing in our kitchen, btw. My wife is a huge fan of cooking and food in general (I hate the word "foodie") and always takes photos of markets, market signs, food, etc.

Good luck, and don't forget to post them!

bob

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JetBlast, I really really love your photos from the airport. I've always had a major interest in aviation much like your self and love seeing anything relating to it. We used to go to the airport over here (PDX), and along the river that the airport sits next to there's a long stretch of road that runs along side the runways and we'd go and pull off where they allowed people and sit for hours and just watch planes take off and land. Keep posting 'em man, I love it!
Thank you for the compliment! I will be sure to post them since that is pretty much all I shoot
smile.gif

If you have any requests for current airliners give me a buzz and I'll see if I have anything. If it flies to the DC area, I'm on it.

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads