• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it just me or Chucks are really uncomfortable shoes?

lsquare

Reaction score
I got a pair back in January and since then I have only worn it a couple of times. I have developed a couple of these blister like things on my feet as a result of wearing these shoes. When I walk with them it's a little uncomfortable. I simply can't run in them! The fit is perfect though so I'm not really sure what's causing the discomfort. Do you guys feel the same with the Chucks?

Max

Reaction score
Well, yeah. They're hideously uncomfortable shoes, which is why I don't wear them.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
I got a pair back in January and since then I have only worn it a couple of times. I have developed a couple of these blister like things on my feet as a result of wearing these shoes. When I walk with them it's a little uncomfortable. I simply can't run in them! The fit is perfect though so I'm not really sure what's causing the discomfort. Do you guys feel the same with the Chucks?

I haven't noticed chucks being too uncomfortable, no more than many dress shoes. I only have a hitop pair that are pretty new, but am planning on getting a low top. We'll see how they hold up in the long term though.

The purcells I just got need to be upped one size, they seem comfortable though, have a nice soft insole. What size chucks do you have? If they are a 9 maybe I'll buy them off you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are very comfortable for hanging around in, but not for walking any long distances or standing all day - they have absolutely no support. If you are a fairly light guy like me and have worn them on and off most of your life, no biggie. If you are a bigger guy, probably not a good idea to wear these all the time.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I haven't noticed chucks being too uncomfortable, no more than many dress shoes. I only have a hitop pair that are pretty new, but am planning on getting a low top. We'll see how they hold up in the long term though.

The purcells I just got need to be upped one size, they seem comfortable though, have a nice soft insole. What size chucks do you have? If they are a 9 maybe I'll buy them off you.

They're 8 and the fit is good as stated. I'm guessing there isn't enough padding inside the shoes or something. I just can't run with them or else it hurts. It's like as if I'm running bare footed on cement. For other purposes it's fine. It's too bad as I do like the looks of the Chucks.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
They are very comfortable for hanging around in, but not for walking any long distances or standing all day - they have absolutely no support. If you are a fairly light guy like me and have worn them on and off most of your life, no biggie. If you are a bigger guy, probably not a good idea to wear these all the time.
Are you talking about arch support? I over pronate so i don't need arch support.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

For school and work it's fine as I don't stand and walk all day. I can't imagine doing exercise or going out with them. I'm a pretty small guy and I can assure you that you're bigger than me (I've seen your pic).

I wonder if the JP are any more comfortable? I'm thinking of buying a pair, but my limited experience with the Chucks have made it harder for me to press the "buy" button.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe put in some insoles?

Anyone know if the purcells are better for walking around in? They seem to have more padding.

TheOneTrueMatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Maybe put in some insoles?

Anyone know if the purcells are better for walking around in? They seem to have more padding.

Purcells in my experience are much better. I'm on my feet 8 hours a day (retail) and I used to wear chucks almost every day, but eventually it started to catch up to me. I got a pair of purcells and while they're nothing amazing support/comfort wise, I've noticed a significant improvement in comfort.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
Are you talking about arch support? I over pronate so i don't need arch support.
Do you mean UNDER pronate (i.e. roll outwards)?

If you overpronate you need arch support because the arch collapses when you overpronate.

As others have stated, Chucks are uncomfortable to stand/walk long distances. Other than that, they're good, cheap, decent shoes.

prozach1576

Reaction score
My hi tops are pretty comfortable except for some rubbing just below my Achilles tendon after I walk in them for a while.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have flat-ish feet, so I've never had a problem with Chucks.

I find Purcells are much more inclined to blister the skin over my Achilles tendons.

Goblin

Reaction score
Maybe it's a function of having worn them for a long time - like foot-binding or something - but I'm more comfortable in loosely-laced Chucks than any other shoe.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I find my Chucks very comfortable after only a week or so of break-in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads