Is it just me or Chucks are really uncomfortable shoes?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lsquare, Apr 3, 2007.

1. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I got a pair back in January and since then I have only worn it a couple of times. I have developed a couple of these blister like things on my feet as a result of wearing these shoes. When I walk with them it's a little uncomfortable. I simply can't run in them! The fit is perfect though so I'm not really sure what's causing the discomfort. Do you guys feel the same with the Chucks?

2. Max

Max Senior member

Well, yeah. They're hideously uncomfortable shoes, which is why I don't wear them.

3. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I got a pair back in January and since then I have only worn it a couple of times. I have developed a couple of these blister like things on my feet as a result of wearing these shoes. When I walk with them it's a little uncomfortable. I simply can't run in them! The fit is perfect though so I'm not really sure what's causing the discomfort. Do you guys feel the same with the Chucks?

I haven't noticed chucks being too uncomfortable, no more than many dress shoes. I only have a hitop pair that are pretty new, but am planning on getting a low top. We'll see how they hold up in the long term though.

The purcells I just got need to be upped one size, they seem comfortable though, have a nice soft insole. What size chucks do you have? If they are a 9 maybe I'll buy them off you.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

They are very comfortable for hanging around in, but not for walking any long distances or standing all day - they have absolutely no support. If you are a fairly light guy like me and have worn them on and off most of your life, no biggie. If you are a bigger guy, probably not a good idea to wear these all the time.

5. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I haven't noticed chucks being too uncomfortable, no more than many dress shoes. I only have a hitop pair that are pretty new, but am planning on getting a low top. We'll see how they hold up in the long term though.

The purcells I just got need to be upped one size, they seem comfortable though, have a nice soft insole. What size chucks do you have? If they are a 9 maybe I'll buy them off you.

They're 8 and the fit is good as stated. I'm guessing there isn't enough padding inside the shoes or something. I just can't run with them or else it hurts. It's like as if I'm running bare footed on cement. For other purposes it's fine. It's too bad as I do like the looks of the Chucks.

6. cldpsu

cldpsu Senior member

They are very comfortable for hanging around in, but not for walking any long distances or standing all day - they have absolutely no support. If you are a fairly light guy like me and have worn them on and off most of your life, no biggie. If you are a bigger guy, probably not a good idea to wear these all the time.
    Are you talking about arch support? I over pronate so i don't need arch support.

7. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

For school and work it's fine as I don't stand and walk all day. I can't imagine doing exercise or going out with them. I'm a pretty small guy and I can assure you that you're bigger than me (I've seen your pic).

I wonder if the JP are any more comfortable? I'm thinking of buying a pair, but my limited experience with the Chucks have made it harder for me to press the "buy" button.

8. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Maybe put in some insoles?

Anyone know if the purcells are better for walking around in? They seem to have more padding.

9. TheOneTrueMatt

TheOneTrueMatt Well-Known Member

Maybe put in some insoles?

Anyone know if the purcells are better for walking around in? They seem to have more padding.

Purcells in my experience are much better. I'm on my feet 8 hours a day (retail) and I used to wear chucks almost every day, but eventually it started to catch up to me. I got a pair of purcells and while they're nothing amazing support/comfort wise, I've noticed a significant improvement in comfort.

10. sonick

sonick Senior member

Are you talking about arch support? I over pronate so i don't need arch support.
    Do you mean UNDER pronate (i.e. roll outwards)?

If you overpronate you need arch support because the arch collapses when you overpronate.

As others have stated, Chucks are uncomfortable to stand/walk long distances. Other than that, they're good, cheap, decent shoes.

11. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

My hi tops are pretty comfortable except for some rubbing just below my Achilles tendon after I walk in them for a while.

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

13. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I have flat-ish feet, so I've never had a problem with Chucks.

I find Purcells are much more inclined to blister the skin over my Achilles tendons.

14. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

Maybe it's a function of having worn them for a long time - like foot-binding or something - but I'm more comfortable in loosely-laced Chucks than any other shoe.

15. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Yeah, I find my Chucks very comfortable after only a week or so of break-in.