• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanity fair best dressed hall of fame

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was reading Vanity Fair's International best dressed Hall of fame and a lot of the names were the usual suspects (Giovanni Agnelli, Fred Astire, Cary Grant). But then I saw Ronald Reagan, was he considered a great dresser in his time? He always seem to dress like a working class fella off to a wedding in my opinion, or was that just to satisfy his constitutes? Since he needed to appeal to the people in the Bible belt?
I was very young when he took office so I could be completely off.

I was just curious about how valid Vanity Fair's list is.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But then I saw Ronald Reagan, was he considered a great dresser in his time? He always seem to dress like a working class fella off to a wedding in my opinion, or was that just to satisfy his constitutes?
Reagan was a superlative dresser. Remember that he came of age in Hollywood at a time when leading men were expected to know how to dress.

His personal style was in keeping with the broad-shouldered, Windsor-knot, Oxxford look, but it was very well-done. Frankly, I can't remember seeing the leader of a democratic nation who understood about showing cuff since Reagan. And he made the brown suit acceptable again.

He was certainly the best-dressed American president since Kennedy, and you could make a very good argument that he left Kennedy in the dust, sartorially speaking.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Since he needed to appeal to the people in the Bible belt?
Yeah, you've got to be careful of those Bible belt types...

(does your Bible belt have to match your shoes?)

ejw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcusey
Reagan was a superlative dresser. Remember that he came of age in Hollywood at a time when leading men were expected to know how to dress.

His personal style was in keeping with the broad-shouldered, Windsor-knot, Oxxford look, but it was very well-done. Frankly, I can't remember seeing the leader of a democratic nation who understood about showing cuff since Reagan. And he made the brown suit acceptable again.

He was certainly the best-dressed American president since Kennedy, and you could make a very good argument that he left Kennedy in the dust, sartorially speaking.

Reagan, though I am not a Republican (I am a registered Libertarian and only vote such) was indeed a very sharp dresser. His suits were well tailored, and he also wore, besides brown, navy pinstriped suits - always had an elegant shirt, well made and knotted tie, beautiful cufflinks which he knew how to show properly, and he always had a tasteful pocket square - always. He was elegant in his manner and how he carried himself and personified proper dress.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcusey

I think that largely overstates the case but Reagan's dress is emblematic of a version of the 80s power look.

It's a look that has - happily IMO - fallen out of favor but an influential one nonetheless.

I might place GHWB above Reagan but I'd place either one well behind Kennedy.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's quite difficult to see Ronald Reagan nowadays....The 80's style has to be put into perspective...

Ronald Reagan was quite elegant...

ejw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
I think that largely overstates the case but Reagan's dress is emblematic of a version of the 80s power look.

It's a look that has - happily IMO - fallen out of favor but an influential one nonetheless.

I might place GHWB above Reagan but I'd place either one well behind Kennedy.

Since when is a pocket square, folded in any style, considered only 80's? Suit jackets still have the handkerchief pocket, do they not? How careless and slovenly to see men without the proper acrutrument in that pocket. GHWB dressed well, overall, but he didn't come close to Reagan's taste or style. Now, granted, I like the 3 botton suit better than the two - although I have to admit, I really like the double-breasted suit, and hopefully it comes back into vogue again.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ejw
Since when is a pocket square, folded in any style, considered only 80's? Suit jackets still have the handkerchief pocket, do they not? How careless and slovenly to see men without the proper acrutrument in that pocket. GHWB dressed well, overall, but he didn't come close to Reagan's taste or style. Now, granted, I like the 3 botton suit better than the two - although I have to admit, I really like the double-breasted suit, and hopefully it comes back into vogue again.
Don't know what made you think that I think that pocket squares are 80s.

I'm talking more about heavily padded, extended shoulders and unsettlingly symetrical windsor knots.

Though it would be cool if the DB became wearable again.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know a thread is old when you had no idea you created it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reagan came from Hollywood so he knew looking good was an essential component of respectable presentation.
1102.jpg

ejw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Don't know what made you think that I think that pocket squares are 80s.

I'm talking more about heavily padded, extended shoulders and unsettlingly symetrical windsor knots.

Though it would be cool if the DB became wearable again.

gotcha! Actually the pocket square has never been just for one decade, I agree. What I admired about the Gipper was also that he knew exactly how to show so easily and naturally, his cuffs - replete with elegant and tastefull cuff links. The current President could learn a thing or two about dress from Reagan. Neither he, nor did Clinton, have the vaguest of notions of how to properly present themselves. They looked, or look, anything other than presidential. Also, to the previous poster, it is no secret that a double breasted suit is not in vogue at the moment, although it is always a classic, to be sure. I have one made by Baroni that I'll wear on occasion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics