• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I don't buy this rationale. Doing what you suggest is like going to a fancy restaurant and ordering water and a salad cause it's all you can afford.

No. It's like going to a fancy restaurant with a 65% off coupon.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What you are clearly not understanding is that Big Sports has brainwashed the good working people of the US into making them think no trip to the ball park is complete without a buying a jersey (one per child), expensive fast food and alcohol, and the best seats you can afford using a Pay Day loan. Big Sports has so corrupted the good working people of the US we cannot hold them accountable for over spending on such items.

Told you.
nod[1].gif

I don't buy this rationale. Doing what you suggest is like going to a fancy restaurant and ordering water and a salad cause it's all you can afford. In that case dont go to the fancy place, but this isnt about some uppity eatery, its the ******* ballpark. The whole package is what a ball game is. And your $13 seats are where you literally need binoculars to see the players, and when the Pirates or Royals are in town. Why do you think food prices are what they are, because they know people will pay them.

It's every 'Merican's god given right to have the full monty at the ballpark for cheap!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's every 'Merican's god given right to have the full monty at the ballpark for cheap!

No its not, but something like Major League Baseball, which is ingrained into the American psyche as being something for everyone, should be affordable. Especially when I watch tv and there are almost always empty seats at ball games across the Majors. Same holds true for every major sport really, except soccer (which is cheap) and football (which is ALWAYS sold out). One of the things that helped millions of Americans become American, was going to the ball park. When my ancestors came over from Italy, they would go every weekend to the Polo Grounds to watch the Giants. Poor immigrants were able to afford something then that today many Americans can't.

Anyway, back to the topic, can someone post a link re: the taxes this kid is going to have to pay on his "gifts"? At least if he kept it and sold it, he would have been paying taxes on cash in hand...:/

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No its not, but something like Major League Baseball, which is ingrained into the American psyche as being something for everyone, should be affordable. Especially when I watch tv and there are almost always empty seats at ball games across the Majors. Same holds true for every major sport really, except soccer (which is cheap) and football (which is ALWAYS sold out). One of the things that helped millions of Americans become American, was going to the ball park. When my ancestors came over from Italy, they would go every weekend to the Polo Grounds to watch the Giants. Poor immigrants were able to afford something then that today many Americans can't.

Anyway, back to the topic, can someone post a link re: the taxes this kid is going to have to pay on his "gifts"? At least if he kept it and sold it, he would have been paying taxes on cash in hand...:/

Really? Because like, you say so?

And as to baseball helping "Americans become Americans?" That's a hoot given how many furriners populate MLB.

bmf895

Reaction score
I don't buy this rationale. Doing what you suggest is like going to a fancy restaurant and ordering water and a salad cause it's all you can afford. In that case dont go to the fancy place, but this isnt about some uppity eatery, its the ******* ballpark. The whole package is what a ball game is. And your $13 seats are where you literally need binoculars to see the players, and when the Pirates or Royals are in town. Why do you think food prices are what they are, because they know people will pay them.

NYR, the Royals won the series this year 2-1. Let's go Royals! And yeah my seats were $5 each..
satisfied.gif
It pays to be a fan of a small market team . . . except when it comes to post-season play . .
plain.gif

PS The new Yankees Stadium blows. The nearly 50 year old Kauffman Stadium puts it to shame. But the Yankees fans are engaged which makes the experience more enjoyable.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NVM, too mean. NYR, you are a horrible human being, and every opinion you hold comes, as far as I can tell, directly from your personal venality.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
NVM, too mean. NYR, you are a horrible human being, and every opinion you hold comes, as far as I can tell, directly from your personal venality.

I'm crushed. Literally. How can I go on, knowing you think so little of me? All from reading a few things on the CE side of a clothing forum too...
frown.gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really? Because like, you say so?

And as to baseball helping "Americans become Americans?" That's a hoot given how many furriners populate MLB.

So you're a bigot as well? Nice. You've never heard the expression, "As American as baseball and apple pie." Or do I need to cite something more formal for you?

Originally Posted by bmf895
NYR, the Royals won the series this year 2-1. Let's go Royals! And yeah my seats were $5 each..
satisfied.gif
It pays to be a fan of a small market team . . . except when it comes to post-season play . .
plain.gif

PS The new Yankees Stadium blows. The nearly 50 year old Kauffman Stadium puts it to shame. But the Yankees fans are engaged which makes the experience more enjoyable.

I've seen a game at Kauffman, and aside from the 120 degree temps, it was fun. Never been to the new Stadium, though I've heard its a very sterile place. I did love the old one though, had character. I love Citifield, great place to watch a game. Even has affordable "decent seats".

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

I'm wondering why you would say this, at least based on this thread. I don't think it's all that outrageous to lament the absurd price hikes that we've seen for all kinds of things, baseball seats among them. I know, I know, "the market." You understand the market as well as anyone but you can also be as insulted by a ridiculous price as anyone else. Just because someone, somewhere will pay it that doesn't make it justified. Or, maybe it does, but we all have a certain respect for those who deliever honest value at a fair price just as we all have a certain conptempt for those who gouge simply because they can.

I know that we can all just walk away if we don't like the price but the list of things that I have walked away from, and never will return to, on this score is very long. I guess I am glad I got to experience certain things before the pricing began to seem like a deliberate wad of spit in my eye. But I am still sort of ticked off about it anyway.

bmf895

Reaction score
I've seen a game at Kauffman, and aside from the 120 degree temps, it was fun. Never been to the new Stadium, though I've heard its a very sterile place. I did love the old one though, had character. I love Citifield, great place to watch a game. Even has affordable "decent seats".

Sterile is a great way to describe the new Yankees Stadium. My girlfriend and I went to a Mets game a few weeks ago. We had a blast and really enjoyed Citifield, especially the Blue Smoke BBQ.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmf895
Sterile is a great way to describe the new Yankees Stadium. My girlfriend and I went to a Mets game a few weeks ago. We had a blast and really enjoyed Citifield, especially the Blue Smoke BBQ.

You have the pulled pork? mmmmm

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm crushed. Literally. How can I go on, knowing you think so little of me? All from reading a few things on the CE side of a clothing forum too...
frown.gif

Don't feel bad bro. I'm pretty sure after all the hype wears thin this kid's gonna realize that giving that ball back essentially cost him ~$14K in taxes on top of the debt he's already in and he would agree with you.

My guess is soon after he'll become a Mets fan.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I'm wondering why you would say this, at least based on this thread. I don't think it's all that outrageous to lament the absurd price hikes that we've seen for all kinds of things, baseball seats among them. I know, I know, "the market." You understand the market as well as anyone but you can also be as insulted by a ridiculous price as anyone else. Just because someone, somewhere will pay it that doesn't make it justified. Or, maybe it does, but we all have a certain respect for those who deliever honest value at a fair price just as we all have a certain conptempt for those who gouge simply because they can.

I know that we can all just walk away if we don't like the price but the list of things that I have walked away from, and never will return to, on this score is very long. I guess I am glad I got to experience certain things before the pricing began to seem like a deliberate wad of spit in my eye. But I am still sort of ticked off about it anyway.

It's a thread about how somebody was a schmuck because he decided to do something nice rather than to milk it for whatever money he could, how it costs $500 dollars to go to a baseball game when it really doesn't, and about how he deserves to see baseball and get a jersey and get a foot long hot dog because this is America. The sick congregation of get what you can or you are an asshole, woe is me and I am entitled is just a bit too much to bear. I don't like how much sports cost either, but it is simply a function of supply and demand, except you can still sit in the bleachers and bring a sandwich and have fun with your kids, just like your parents used to do, but that isn't what NYR wants. He wants club level, foot massage and the rest of the works. Give me a break, really. So, in conclusion, I agree with your sentiment, but his is not yours.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
i should read more carefully.
blush.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So you're a bigot as well? Nice. You've never heard the expression, "As American as baseball and apple pie." Or do I need to cite something more formal for you?

laugh.gif
I'm a biggot because I find it funny that a material number of MLB players are not American given what you said? :laugh. Seriously, I read Ed's criticism of you in DT and thought he might be going a bit overboard, so I thought I'd read this thread. Your accusation against me shows he was probably being too easy on you. Not only do you lack any sense of humour, you are apparently unable to think and toss out powderkeg labels at the drop of a hat. And yet...you think you have the moral authority to call this stand up Joe that returned the ball a schmuck? The level of your idiocy apparently knows no bounds.

Nice work, teach.
laugh.gif

Btw, I'm a furriner myself. Are you a biggot for calling a furriner a bigot?
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads