• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Amateur Soccer Observations

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Got tickets to see the Sounders v. Galaxy for the US Open Cup at Starfire Stadium in Tukwila on Wednesday. Unfortunately all amateurs are knocked out, Sounders beat Kitsap County Pumas last week and Galaxy beat the LA Blues recently too. Heard Landon Donavan is back and David Beckham is off the injured list, so I might have a chance to shake ******* in their faces after Freddy Montero makes them both his *****. Oh, Keller and Jaqua... now the post is finished.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
I saw ronaldinho and company play against the chicago fire a couple years ago, and flopping is all those guys were doing. Nonetheless, it was one hell of an experience, and would urge everyone in the chicago area to try out a fire game.

My ex and I saw Brazil play the US Men's team in the friendly at Soldier Field a few years ago. Was awesome, but yeah a ton of flops.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garbage Mouth
Anyone know of any adult soccer going on in NYC?
there are a lot, everywhere. there are many soccer groups for many levels. chelsea waterside, pier 40, Riverside Park, the nike turf field (where they have showdown in chinatown hosted by steve nash each year, met theirry henry there) and the chrystie park in sara roosevelt park just below it. central park at 96th st people play. in prospect park in brooklyn there are games both on the large open space and the turf fields on south side (church ave). astoria park in queens, mccaren park in wburg, etc. websites to check out http://soccernyc.org/drup/ http://www.pickupsoccernyc.org/?page=links http://www.meetup.com has many groups you can find

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
confused.gif
I live in Tallahassee, FL and there are literally pick-up games every night of the week and league games almost as much. And I've only been playing soccer since January. How the hell can't you find a game in Las Vegas?

Out of the country currently. In Uruguay (I know, right?) but with it being one of the coldest winters they've experienced in years, no one is out and about. I've played futsal at their indoor places, but I'm missing full on 11 on 11.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Out of the country currently. In Uruguay (I know, right?) but with it being one of the coldest winters they've experienced in years, no one is out and about. I've played futsal at their indoor places, but I'm missing full on 11 on 11.

What do you think of Uruguay? I've never been but heard it's a really fantastic country, and the most progressive country in South America.

Also, Luis Suarez
smile.gif

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
What do you think of Uruguay? I've never been but heard it's a really fantastic country, and the most progressive country in South America.

Also, Luis Suarez
smile.gif

Honestly it's pretty nice. I've been mainly in Montevideo itself, but have visited a few cities in the interior as well (Tacuarembó, Melo, Salto, Mercedes). It's really beautiful here, and the landscape is like the perfect segue between Argentina and Southern Brazil.

Montevideo's a great city, although it's gotten more expensive as the dollar has fallen. I think goods are generally still cheaper in Argentina though. It's more low-key than Buenos Aires, and I could see being here in the Summer as a great vacation. Given that I'm here for work, I haven't gotten to experience as much as I'd want to, but it is a really cool place.

And with the Copa America going and the recent deep-run by Peñarol into the Libertadores, it's been a great footballing atmosphere. The Estadio Centenario is incredible.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
So, I still play in a men's league and a co-ed league. On my men's team, I'm now the only gringo on the team. I'm known as "Americano". Anyway, yesterday, a teammate got kicked out of the game for not having shin guards. The ones he had on were two halves of a plastic Taco Bell cup tucked into his socks. :laugh: Awesome.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyway, yesterday, a teammate got kicked out of the game for not having shin guards. The ones he had on were two halves of a plastic Taco Bell cup tucked into his socks. :laugh: Awesome.

True player right there. Bravo.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* hate wearing big bulky shin guards, but haven't had to since I was like 12. I buy the cheapest pair possible that is made for someone half my size. It usually consists of a hard, hard PU shell with a layer of foam padding that is ripped out, leaving just the tiny piece of PU. It offers virtually zero protection but that's ok

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

******* hate wearing big bulky shin guards, but haven't had to since I was like 12. I buy the cheapest pair possible that is made for someone half my size. It usually consists of a hard, hard PU shell with a layer of foam padding that is ripped out, leaving just the tiny piece of PU. It offers virtually zero protection but that's ok

I couldn't play with them until someone broke my leg in a dodgy vicious tackle...

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Today - weirdest soccer game I've ever been involved with:

Two times my teammates try to head the ball and wind up screwing up and heading the ball over my head and into our own goal. Both of these guys are good players, it was just flukey play.
The other team does a throw-in near their own goal, which their goalie decides to catch. PK, we score a goal.
Corner kick, my goal (I play keeper), deep cross, everyone jumps, our guy heads the ball, which ricochets off of a girl's back, hits my foot, and rolls in.
Deep ball, their goal. Goalie picks up the ball and, thinking the ref has called offsides, places the ball and backs up, looking around for who to kick it to. One of our forwards walks up and kicks the ball into the goal. Point for us.
Corner kick, their goal, lofting kick, one of our guys heads the ball, which hits both the cross bar and the side bar and goes in.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Corner kick, my goal (I play keeper), deep cross, everyone jumps, our guy heads the ball, which ricochets off of a girl's back, hits my foot, and rolls in.

That sucks - not really anything that can be done about that.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I can't wait to revive my amateur soccer career. I'm hoping to join a competitive adult league next spring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads