1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random Amateur Soccer Observations

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FLMountainMan, Apr 11, 2011.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

No problem, sorry for being so snotty in my initial reply. Just for curiosity's sake, what would you say is the second-most popular sport in Argentina? Basketball? Baseball? Rodeo?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The Chinese were the first ones to play a kind of football game..

3. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Rodeo :rotflmao: Basketball could be second, though not really. It´s popular, but mainly because of the national team, which garnered a lot of attention with the golden medal at athens (if i recall correctly) and that runner up position at the indianapolis world cup in 2002 :( I guess probably tennis is the second most popular sport. In the past 10 years we´ve had a great "batch" of very talented players like gaudio, nalbandian, coria, cañas, puerta. They´ve won lots of titles, from MS1000, Master Cup (now ATP World Tour Finals) to GS (gaudio at RG and delpo at the US Open). And (with this year) we´ve reached 3 davis cup finals and haven´t been out of the world group in more than a decade. And a lot of kids are playing right now. At the club where I go to take classes and play tournaments, there are tons of kids playing, and I´m talking about a windy city in the middle of patagonia. And without the possibility of playing outdoors most of the time (´cause of the weather), the kids still play in national tournaments and the club, along with another small club (with only one court) organize tournaments together and stuff. In Buenos Aires it is a whole different deal. Lots of places to play, loads of clubs and courts... yet it´s still hard to reach the top, specially with the financial issue here and how weak our currency is.
    Rugby could also be another sport that is followed and played a lot. I don´t know much about it because I´ve never really played it - it´s not my kind of sport - but it is quite the popular sport. We have some very good players and a more than decent national team (Los Pumas, who are playing against the All Blacks in the quarterfinals of the World Cup), but in terms of popularity, it´s no where near football, and because of success, it´s the same with tennis. I think those are the 3 most important sport we´ve been succesfull in during this time (football, tennis and basket). One could aslo mention Las Leonas, our national women´s hockey team, who have won I don´t know how many world cups and other very important tournaments; yet the thing is Hockey is a bit elitist here, so there´s no real opportunity for any girl to play, because the clubs charge ridicously amount of money for becoming a member and the sticks tend to be a tad expensive.

4. FLMountainMan

Cool, thanks. You laugh at rodeo, but Brasil has arguably the best rodeo talent in the world.

5. Lionheart Biker

There´s no rodeo here, at least as far as I´m aware. We have something called jineteadas, which in part has something that you´d see in rodeo, but I don´t know if it´s considered a sport, and if it is, it definately doesn´t have a huge popularity as any of the other sports mentioned.

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Polo is super huge in Argentina as well, at least to the degree Rugby is, especially among the wealthier classes because they're both prep school sports.

7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Polo will be difficult to play in slumbs..

They will eat the horses if they could afford them...

8. Lionheart Biker

hahahahahhha... yeah, we´re the best at polo.. for real. But it´s super exclusive.

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Argentinians are the best polo players in the world... No doubt about that... The question is ; Do the Argentinians do really care about that?

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I've really been having a bad string of games. Touch is off, I'm losing the ball underneath me. Just not good stuff at the moment. It's really starting to psyche me out. I can go out and play well in pickup, but the minute we throw on pennies for a school intramural game, I'm totally absent. Ugh.

11. FLMountainMan

I used to get stretches like that in basketball. The best thing was, if possible, to take a few games off. Actually play a little less. Helped me out.

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Sometimes , it is better to have a bit of a rest and come back refreshed...

1 person likes this.
  13. FLMountainMan

Played two games back-to-back yesterday at keep. The first game was the game of my life. I'm still pretty quick, so I gamble a lot at keeper, and yesterday it seemed like every gamble paid off. My teammates all actually applauded when I came off the field. It was awesome. I worked my ass off for it (I weighed five-and-a-half pounds less Sunday night than I did Sunday morning, meaning I sweated over half-a-gallon) and had a ton of ridiculous saves. Second game was pretty good, but I was also gassed, so I missed a save I should've gotten, and we lost by one.

Anyway, one of the things I thought was weird is that one of the guys said something like "it's obvious you've never watched soccer before, and I mean that in a good way. You haven't picked up any of the bad showboating techniques. Like you actually try to catch balls and not punch them out."

This doesn't make sense to me. Is it the norm for keepers to try to punch balls instead of catch them? Do they do that because the velocity of the shot is presumably higher in the televised leagues and they don't want to break their hands or do they actually do that because it's cool or something? The only thing I can compare this to is most basketball players' lack of focus on the mid-range shot because it isn't as glamorous as a dunk/layup or or three.

14. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I don't know what he's talking about. I don't think most pro keepers are showboating when they punch, either on crosses or saves. It's hard to catch a ball in heavy traffic on a cross with big strong bodies all around, and pro shots are coming in hard and swerving a lot. Trying to catch too often leads to soft rebounds that end up in the back of the net, so controlling the deflection to make sure it goes out, or punching far away to safety, is the safest route unless the keeper is 100% sure he can catch it.

That said, I have seen amateur keepers showboat a bit, so maybe that's what he was talking about. Where I see the pros maybe hamming it up a bit is when, even on a ball hit right over their heads, they'll jump up and tip over but then instead of coming down on their feet they'll pull their legs up and writhe around in the air and come down hard on the ground when, you know, dude, you just could have landed on your feet.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

When i used to play goalkeeper in the eighties ,we were trained to catch or try to block the ball as much as we could...

Pushing it away was seen as a liability..

Now goalkeepers tend to push the ball away from the goal and punch everything instead of simply catching it..

I couldn't believe Buffon ,a great goalkeeper, punching everything on corners instead of grabbing it ..

The same for shots on target, the keepers push it away instead of stopping it..

It seems to be the new trend due to modern floating balls also allowing more powerful shots..

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  16. FLMountainMan

Red carded last night. We were down 2-1 when it happened. We won 6-3. I need to get red carded more. Interfering with a goal scoring opportunity. I basically took out a whiny ass striker and then told him "get up, bitch" when he laid around flopping.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The white man's rage is strong in you.

1 person likes this.
  18. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I haven't been playing in a few years, but I can't stand fuckers who just get way too riled up about amateur soccer, and there are a lot of them.

Outdoor seems to be worse than indoor. People really get fucked up in outdoor.

A few people called me a "hothead" in indoor, including people on my team, but curiously, while I mix it up with guys I think are dicks, I never, ever, ever ended up in the penalty box. In about 5 years of playing. Quite often, the guys I was fucking with did. It's a fine art, treading teh line.

19. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I am glad I joined a co-ed league.

First game is Saturday.

Played as a kid but I'm a little "upset" I'm returning. Messed up my back really badly had to stop rugby and now I'm playing soccer.