1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random Amateur Soccer Observations

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FLMountainMan, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

1. There are pretty marked cultural differences in the style of play. Generally speaking, Islanders, Latinos and Middle Easterners flop a lot, even in pickup. Euros and whiteys tend to play a lot more physically, without as much flopping. They also tend to be on the backline more.
    If you're new to the game and don't really understand passing yet, it's best to play with Africans, as they will share your disinclination towards passing. In all seriousness, I find most adult soccer leagues to be really fucking annoying, because a significant percentage of the players are complete douchebags. They play dirty, and I have seen my fair share of very serious injuries occur because you've got large men in the open field with shitty home lives and often a dollop of class- or race-based anger playing dickbag soccer with overmatched, underattentive referees and essentially no consequences. I've long since given up on outdoor and when I play now it's usually co-rec indoor. The women keep the game under control, and there's a much better ref : player ratio.

2. the shah

the shah Senior member

some of the most intense games i played were with [west] africans. had to be quick in thinking and reacting because otherwise meant broken bones.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I joined a local Futsal team. For those unfamiliar, Futsal is basically 5-on-5 mini-soccer. It's generally played indoors, but it's not like indoor soccer because there are no walls - balls that go OB are kicked back in. I play outdoors on a turf / pellet field, but the place I go to is a little higher end.

Anyway its a blast and the guys that play with me are insanely talented. One of my friends is helping me train, he played soccer professionally in Japan, Australia and Switzerland as a striker. He was even on Japan's generally strongest team, Nagoya Grampus. I'm shit, but it's definitely the most fun sport to play IMO. Also there are no injuries in Futsal except self-inflicted ones. The skills you need are more technical than soccer. Most of the best Brazilian players do Futsal in the off-season.

4. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

futsal is great for ball control, and there's no question it does amazing things for your ball skills.

i hate it though. it puts an emphasis on a lot of things i do poorly, and takes away the need for the things I do well. And at my age and with the time I have to dedicate to building my skills, I have no desire to be off learning new soccer shit.

5. the shah

the shah Senior member

i play futsal sept-april once or twice a week. smaller no-bounce ball is great can do so many (useless) tricks and then playing outdoors with a size 5 is far easier in comparison.

though I have seen people get injured and not always self-inflicted. it can be a bit rougher on the knees since hard court but get yaself some mizuno indoors.

in general i prefer turf shoes even on grass fields, the rubber studs give me enough traction and no pitch here is ever watered regularly enough to warrant blades let alone metal spikes

6. hossoso

hossoso Senior member

Got tickets to see the Sounders v. Galaxy for the US Open Cup at Starfire Stadium in Tukwila on Wednesday. Unfortunately all amateurs are knocked out, Sounders beat Kitsap County Pumas last week and Galaxy beat the LA Blues recently too. Heard Landon Donavan is back and David Beckham is off the injured list, so I might have a chance to shake my dick in their faces after Freddy Montero makes them both his bitch. Oh, Keller and Jaqua... now the post is finished.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I saw ronaldinho and company play against the chicago fire a couple years ago, and flopping is all those guys were doing. Nonetheless, it was one hell of an experience, and would urge everyone in the chicago area to try out a fire game.

My ex and I saw Brazil play the US Men's team in the friendly at Soldier Field a few years ago. Was awesome, but yeah a ton of flops.

8. Garbage Mouth

Garbage Mouth Senior member

Anyone know of any adult soccer going on in NYC?

9. the shah

the shah Senior member

Anyone know of any adult soccer going on in NYC?
    there are a lot, everywhere. there are many soccer groups for many levels. chelsea waterside, pier 40, Riverside Park, the nike turf field (where they have showdown in chinatown hosted by steve nash each year, met theirry henry there) and the chrystie park in sara roosevelt park just below it. central park at 96th st people play. in prospect park in brooklyn there are games both on the large open space and the turf fields on south side (church ave). astoria park in queens, mccaren park in wburg, etc. websites to check out http://soccernyc.org/drup/ http://www.pickupsoccernyc.org/?page=links http://www.meetup.com has many groups you can find

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

[​IMG] I live in Tallahassee, FL and there are literally pick-up games every night of the week and league games almost as much. And I've only been playing soccer since January. How the hell can't you find a game in Las Vegas?
    Out of the country currently. In Uruguay (I know, right?) but with it being one of the coldest winters they've experienced in years, no one is out and about. I've played futsal at their indoor places, but I'm missing full on 11 on 11.

11. Garbage Mouth

Garbage Mouth Senior member

shahanshah, thanks for the links. I'll check them out

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Out of the country currently. In Uruguay (I know, right?) but with it being one of the coldest winters they've experienced in years, no one is out and about. I've played futsal at their indoor places, but I'm missing full on 11 on 11.

What do you think of Uruguay? I've never been but heard it's a really fantastic country, and the most progressive country in South America.

Also, Luis Suarez [​IMG]

13. El Argentino

What do you think of Uruguay? I've never been but heard it's a really fantastic country, and the most progressive country in South America.

Also, Luis Suarez [​IMG]

Honestly it's pretty nice. I've been mainly in Montevideo itself, but have visited a few cities in the interior as well (Tacuarembó, Melo, Salto, Mercedes). It's really beautiful here, and the landscape is like the perfect segue between Argentina and Southern Brazil.

Montevideo's a great city, although it's gotten more expensive as the dollar has fallen. I think goods are generally still cheaper in Argentina though. It's more low-key than Buenos Aires, and I could see being here in the Summer as a great vacation. Given that I'm here for work, I haven't gotten to experience as much as I'd want to, but it is a really cool place.

And with the Copa America going and the recent deep-run by Peñarol into the Libertadores, it's been a great footballing atmosphere. The Estadio Centenario is incredible.

14. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

So, I still play in a men's league and a co-ed league. On my men's team, I'm now the only gringo on the team. I'm known as "Americano". Anyway, yesterday, a teammate got kicked out of the game for not having shin guards. The ones he had on were two halves of a plastic Taco Bell cup tucked into his socks. :laugh: Awesome.

15. El Argentino

True player right there. Bravo.

16. phreak

phreak Senior member

Fucking hate wearing big bulky shin guards, but haven't had to since I was like 12. I buy the cheapest pair possible that is made for someone half my size. It usually consists of a hard, hard PU shell with a layer of foam padding that is ripped out, leaving just the tiny piece of PU. It offers virtually zero protection but that's ok

17. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I couldn't play with them until someone broke my leg in a dodgy vicious tackle...

18. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Today - weirdest soccer game I've ever been involved with:

Two times my teammates try to head the ball and wind up screwing up and heading the ball over my head and into our own goal. Both of these guys are good players, it was just flukey play.
    The other team does a throw-in near their own goal, which their goalie decides to catch. PK, we score a goal.
    Corner kick, my goal (I play keeper), deep cross, everyone jumps, our guy heads the ball, which ricochets off of a girl's back, hits my foot, and rolls in.
    Deep ball, their goal. Goalie picks up the ball and, thinking the ref has called offsides, places the ball and backs up, looking around for who to kick it to. One of our forwards walks up and kicks the ball into the goal. Point for us.
    Corner kick, their goal, lofting kick, one of our guys heads the ball, which hits both the cross bar and the side bar and goes in.

19. El Argentino

That sucks - not really anything that can be done about that.

20. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I can't wait to revive my amateur soccer career. I'm hoping to join a competitive adult league next spring.