• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BBC4 - The Perfect Suit

Russ_H

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but tonight, at 21.00 British Summer Time on UK television,
there is a broadcast called The Perfect Suit. It's on BBC4.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's correct. Someone record it for the ROW.

wholphin

Reaction score
Just watched it - quite fun, nothing too revolutionary. Interviews with the omnipresent Patrick Grant, plus Paul Smith, Charlie Allen. Very accessible, with the advantages and disadvantages of being accessible (i.e. entertaining, but not particularly deep). On iPlayer now.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wholphin
Just watched it - quite fun, nothing too revolutionary. Interviews with the omnipresent Patrick Grant, plus Paul Smith, Charlie Allen. Very accessible, with the advantages and disadvantages of being accessible (i.e. entertaining, but not particularly deep).
Yes, I'd go along with this. Paul Smith and Antony Price were the most entertaining interviewees I thought. Much of the programme was a sweeping chronology of the evolution of the suit, light on detail but with enough interesting archive footage to keep things moving at a good pace. Some mildly daft comments and set pieces, but that goes with the turf for this kind of popular documentary. The chronology presented probably won't tell anyone interested enough in clothes and clothes history to post on SF anything new. The presenter's background made the programme what it was. He's got an Art History background, and often does segments on the Arts generally. So, as would be expected, he's very green when it comes to anything about tailoring, fit, construction and the more technical aspects of a suit. For instance he's inordinately pleased with a RTW jacket's working sleeve buttons, and with another RTW suit that he's given that doesn't really fit him all that well. However, his natural appreciation for aesthetics and artistic intent allowed him to identify and expound some of the reasons for the suit's ongoing existence and its emotional/psychological import. A more technically savvy presenter may well have missed this crucial aspect to clothing. The social history of the suit came across well, and his final closing piece to camera on why a suit remains both relevant and enjoyable to wear today was an accurate and pleasing summary. This programme's conclusion was really about the aesthetic/emotional meaning of a perfect suit, not its execution. If that interests you - it certainly is why I personally like clothes - then you'll probably enjoy watching this one.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The perfect suit? No such thing!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
The perfect suit? No such thing!

Funnily enough, I don't think I'd be reading too much into what was said to say that was pretty much the subtext of the presenter's conclusion. Cutting through some of his waffle, he essentially argued that it's all in the mind of the wearer, if the suit achieves the social/emotional purpose and meaning that the wearer desires for it. It isn't the garment itself, what it's made from or how it fits, but that its infinite malleability/versatility as a concept gives the lounge suit its perfection. The title is really quite cheeky in that regard I think.

potter AB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
This programme's conclusion was really about the aesthetic/emotional meaning of a perfect suit, not its execution. If that interests you - it certainly is why I personally like clothes - then you'll probably enjoy watching this one.

Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, producer Alastair Sooke had an article about his documentary in The Telegraph today:
http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-...fect-suit.html

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Never do both" (buttons)
"Why not?"
"Because you'll look like a newscaster"

laugh.gif

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holdfast sums it up pretty well. Charlie Allen and Anthony Price were great and and the section on the DOW will please the American viewers. Well worth watching. Berwin and Berwin have had a lot of airtime recently their Chinese factory was on the BBC2 show about manufacturing last week and their Hungarian factory was in this program. http://www.berwinberwin.co.uk/operations1/index.html

stuartlucas

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm a newbie here and found the site after I googled about this programme.

Specifically I was looking for any info on where I could get a suit like the early edwardian one the presenter had on in the section with Eric Musgrove.

I guess a suit like that isn't available anywhere off the peg and I would need to get it made but any advice on a suitable tailor for a suit like that would be very welcome.

The last tailor I went to was more of a "mod" tailor (Threadneedle Man in Elephant and Castle) who was great but I don't think an Edwardian throwback would be up his street.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads