• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Memoirs of Jan Libourel

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Small world.

We were in touch years ago when Sottile was inventing the Corso in his garage. I remember being surprised you didn't keep mastinos, if I recall your area of study correctly.

lefty

I always strongly suspected that the Corso was an invention of Michael Sottile, but I think that took place in the late 1980s. By the time I really got into the rare-breed subculture (1994-5), the Corso was well established with all the attendant mythology that it was an ancient Roman breed preserved in its purity in the backwaters and byways of Sicily and Calabria.

Can it be possible we had some contact, but you have blurred me in your mind with somebody else since I was not active in the dog culture when the Corso was being "invented" or "discovered."

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Sottile the actor?

in the late 80's?

Cane Corsos are amazing, wouldn't surprise me.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Are you also the JLibourel that is partial to "analingus" (to females of course)? Can't find the thread but if so, you are definitely a complete man.

That thread was deleted soon after its inception. I am partial only if the gal is squeaky clean. It has the effect on some women of driving them just wild!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
That thread was deleted soon after its inception. I am partial only if the gal is squeaky clean. It has the effect on some women of driving them just wild!

You are preaching to the converted
smile.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Michael Sottile the actor?

in the late 80's?

Cane Corsos are amazing, wouldn't surprise me.

I only know of Michael Sottile as a dog man. I don't know if he and the actor are the same person but I would rather doubt it. He was at one time prominent in the Neapolitan Mastiff fancy and played a key role in introducing the Cane Corso. He and his mother ran a rather ill-regarded dog registry called the "Federation of International Canines" (FIC), which the unwary could easily confuse with the respected international dog show body the FCI. As I recall the story, he and his mother had a falling out and she got control of the registry.

I'd be curious to know why you find Cane Corsos "amazing." Most of the people I know who've gotten them have been rather disappointed--lousy hips, low trainability/low intelligence and serious genetic shyness seem rife in the breed. They are very handsome, striking-looking dogs, I will concede.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I only know of Michael Sottile as a dog man. I don't know if he and the actor are the same person but I would rather doubt it. He was at one time prominent in the Neapolitan Mastiff fancy and played a key role in introducing the Cane Corso. He and his mother ran a rather ill-regarded dog registry called the "Federation of International Canines" (FIC), which the unwary could easily confuse with the respected international dog show body the FCI. As I recall the story, he and his mother had a falling out and she got control of the registry.

I'd be curious to know why you find Cane Corsos "amazing." Most of the people I know who've gotten them have been rather disappointed--lousy hips, low trainability/low intelligence and serious genetic shyness seem rife in the breed. They are very handsome, striking-looking dogs, I will concede.

Interesting, the one breed that both my wife and I love are the Corso's and we heard good things about them (from a breeder in Texas). What breed would you recommend in that same realm?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amazing as in their noble good looks, I haven't really spoken at length to any owners, but have seen a gorgeous Brindle Corsa once.

On the other hand, I've never met a Tosa, but I've heard great things about their temperament, intelligence and trainability.

I'm a bit of a closet dog breeding and extinct/rare breeds fan (or at least have become one in the last couple months).

I have a true stray (left in the country miles from anything) that I'm convinced/delusional is at least part Gull Terr.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always strongly suspected that the Corso was an invention of Michael Sottile, but I think that took place in the late 1980s. By the time I really got into the rare-breed subculture (1994-5), the Corso was well established with all the attendant mythology that it was an ancient Roman breed preserved in its purity in the backwaters and byways of Sicily and Calabria.

Can it be possible we had some contact, but you have blurred me in your mind with somebody else since I was not active in the dog culture when the Corso was being "invented" or "discovered."

Pretty sure it was you. This would have been around 96 when I first saw your name. You were skeptical of the "ancient" lineage of the Corso.

Mickey Sottile was a small time gangster and dogfighter who was, as you said, prominent in the Neo world. The story goes he was traveling through the Italian countryside and came across a breed he had never seen before working cattle. He bought an entire litter and these became the "super six" of the US Corso world. No one has been able to verify the lineage of these dogs, but that didn't stop Sottile, Ed Hodas and others from exploiting the hell out of whatever dogs they could find or create.

These ones are big, let's call them Neos.
These ones are smaller, let's call them Corsos.
These ones look like Rotts, let's charge extras for the rare colour.

Not that the Italians weren't culpable. When the American started showing up with fistfuls of cash looking for the "real" corso, the Italians would shave a sheep and call it a Corso.

Those were heady days.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Interesting, the one breed that both my wife and I love are the Corso's and we heard good things about them (from a breeder in Texas). What breed would you recommend in that same realm?

Ed,

it depends what you want. Corsos are nice looking dogs, but tend to have thin nerves and can't offer more than a bluffing defense. There are a few that are reasonable workers, but they're very rare animals and then you're faced with no end of health issues.

As a pet, you can find one that'll suffice, but be prepared to do a lot of research if you hope to have any success.

My interest was working dogs, and to that end I think you'd have better luck looking at an Am Bulldog due to the sheer number available or a Dogo Argentino as they still retain a great working temperament, never really catching on as pets. Some might say Presa, but again you're faced with having to sift through an awful lot of manure to find a rose.

Every Boerboel I've seen is a magnificent looking and athletic dog, but not quite working material. Could be a good compound dog though.

Of course, none of these breeds would be appropriate for a inexperienced owner.

lefty

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, an old but interesting thread!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont know, but was a good read :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads