• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
When installing your own pedals, how important is it that one acutally put grease of the threads before installing? Is my only risk that i won't be able to back the pedal back out if/when I want a new one?

Grease also lets you get the pedal tighter...

Is there still grease on there from the last pedal that was installed? If so, you should be ok. I probably stick a little fresh grease in there any time I swap pedals but unless its actually dry, it shouldn't matter much.

velobran

Reaction score
When installing your own pedals, how important is it that one acutally put grease of the threads before installing? Is my only risk that i won't be able to back the pedal back out if/when I want a new one?

If you don't want seized pedals, apply grease. Every bolt on the bike should have at least a dab of grease on the threads.

oisin

Reaction score
enjoying my cross check quite a bit so far. riding home last night ran into a guy on a fixie, and talked to him a bit at the stoplight. he kinda made me want to build up my own fixed wheel as a second bike (never understood why people had multiple bikes, but now I think I am starting to...).

I know I need to look for horizontal dropouts. Not sure how much it's going to cost me to get all the parts I'd need/want. more in the thinking phase than the ready to buy phase. Ran into a couple bikes on CL that looked mildly interesting--probably too expensive, yeah? Thoughts on some good frames to keep my eye out for? I kind of like the idea of a good steel vintage frame rather than something new. Budget is important.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...457633355.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/2456540434.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...460023026.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...458316909.html

vm1336

Reaction score
If you guys like ti bikes you should also check out Moots and Eriksen Cycles out of Steamboat Springs, Colorado. My in-laws live there and I've toured both factories. They make beautiful bikes in every configuration including custom styles and geometry. I'm waiting until my kids are a little older to pull the trigger on one - when I have more time to ride!

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to sell my road bike and get a mountain bike. Or buy the Cervelo S1 that I saw for sale on craigslist....

vltsai

Reaction score
Yeah my kind of thread! The go-fast: BMC SL01, Full Rival, EA50SL wheels, DA7810 pedals, Selle Italia Kit Carbonio
BMC-1.jpg
The daily: De Bernardi Zonal Pista (Columbus FTW!), Cane Creek Track V, Sram Omnium w/ 75 Chainring, DA7810 pedals, now with Specialized Toupe.
5021064256_d84c166e52_z.jpg

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys use "no nose" or "split nose" seats? I hate the numbness associated with a ride and then I read this NY Times Article about these seats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/science/28tier.html

I'm curious. I have to say, though, I never feel numb when riding on my "normal" saddle. But if I ride a stationary bike at the gym with a wide saddle, I quickly lose circulation. But for the reproductive health-benefits, this could be a good switch.

b

Minarchist

Reaction score
Do any of you guys use "no nose" or "split nose" seats? I hate the numbness associated with a ride and then I read this NY Times Article about these seats.

This is relevant to my interests.

After getting a true metered fitting, I've had a lot less problems with the Tingle in my Dingle (I would highly recommend a good fitting, one that actually gets you on the bike for an hour or two), but it still shows up a bit on longer rides. I sent the link around to a few competitive cycling friends to see what kind of reactions it gets. 'twould be especially nice on the centuries, since my posture suffers after mile 50 or so and I start putting more pressure on the 'nads. Thanks for posting.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think getting a saddle that fits your form and adjusting it properly is key.

You shouldn't really be riding on ********* in a normal saddle...you should be riding on your sit bones. Different models of seat have different widths/lengths/profiles and with the right adjustment you should be fine.

Of course, from the number of people I see riding around on the lakefront with all sorts of abominations of bike fit (like the people who ride on top of bar ends that are turned facing inwards above the bars), I would imagine that most people who complain about issues don't care to put the effort into fit (since just getting a new stem or some riser bars should cost almost the same as some gigantor bar ends).

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know an older russian gentleman here who uses a saddle like that, and frankly they look weird. I suppose if you're the type that doesn't move much while on the saddle its fine, also if you don't mind the stares when people look at it
smile.gif
I myself move a lot when on the saddle so I don't think this would work for me.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No need to. The pedals are designed so that every stroke tightens the grip. Unless you pedal backward, all the time...I wouldn't worry about it.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It's such a minor effort to put grease on the threads, why wouldn't you?

If you've ever tried to remove a seized pedal bolt, you wouldn't even ask the question.
Plus the grease helps eliminate irritating creaking noises.

Pinhas

Reaction score
Just bought my first fixie; Bianchi Pista Nero. Been riding for a week or so and I have to say that I really like it. Took a while to get used to it but once you get the control and stopping covered its a smooth ride.

Changed the bar to bull horn and will soon get a Brooks B17 saddle. Will post pics later on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads